• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

AMD and SC cross promotion. Mustang racing variant Omega

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mikcoon

Mikcoon

Advanced Member

• 69 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

It would seem that SC is doing some cross promotion with AMD. "Accelerated Mass Design" is creating the Mustang racing variant OMEGA.

Looks to be a hot topic at the moment, however I see this as a pretty harmless bit of advertising. I doubt that SC is actually making any money off of this deal. AMD gets to put in ONe ship skin, and SC gets tons of free advertising. Any thoughts?

Yfuxbjc.png

Somone said "Internet spaceships are more important than life and death to you" and I said "Listen, its more important than that"

#2 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm one of these people who are actually 'for' ingame advertising as long as it's not intrusive or immersion-breaking. I have no problems with CIG getting money for Cola / Pepsi / AMD commercials on ingame billboards or stations if they are done classy, in 30th century style. Even better if you can opt out and not see them, or even maybe pay to advertise your own events, radio stations, organizations or channels.  

It's a good source of income for CIG and it's way better than usual microtransaction stuff that goes on in MMOs, and if done in moderation it will even enrich the universe and make it more immersive. We already have ship manufacturer commercials in the hangars and stations, it would be even better if we had more variety there.

I'd say the skin above qualifies for this (it's a cool color scheme, the logo is small, the R9 is fitting even without context) even though it might not be the best idea to put it on a starter ship.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#3 Mikcoon

Mikcoon

Advanced Member

• 69 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

What I think a lot of people fail to understand is that they have pledged for the DEVELOPMENT of the game. Somebody has to keep the lights on as far as monthly costs and longevity are concerned. I know that we aren't anywhere close to that point but building relationships early is a good thing. As long as things are in fiction and non intrusive I'm all for it. I do find it kinda neat that they chose the Mustang for this, if I recall the company that produces the mustang outsources a lot of parts, comes as no surprise that they would outsource an entire variant.

Somone said "Internet spaceships are more important than life and death to you" and I said "Listen, its more important than that"

#4 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Yeah man... 50 million dollars sounds like a lot of money but honestly, it will probably ALL be spend making this game and then some. I mean the Star Wars MMO cost something like 200 million to make...

I think in-game advertising, when used in a cool sci-fi way that fits the universe, makes a ton of sense. I like it. Flying into the hottest trade hub in the galaxy I expect to see sci-fi'esque floating billboards with all manner of things on them. That's immersion to me.

#5 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Yeah I certainly have no problem with the advertisement. I find it ironic that it would be AMD since I have to dumb down my resolution as a workaround with AMD graphics cards, I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin... I've spent some cash on this game (still not complaining!) and I'm happy to let some advertisers spend some money also. I'm trying to think of an extreme case that would make me change my mind and I don't want to give CIG any ideas but an ad ticker on my mobi-glass would be unappreciated.

Another thing that could be of value would be economic meta data of players and their consuming activities in the PU. I know some would have a problem with selling that but I wouldn't care as long as I was anonymous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users