• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Troubling New Changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm getting a sinking feeling about this game as more things are added to the cash shop and more information about the game is released by Trion. The latest things being the changes to labor pots and the addition of archeum chests you can purchase.

First, the chests. These are now the most reliable source of Archeum in the game. They increased the drop rate of a single type of archeum (sunlight) while keeping the others stable. Scapes' response to the backlash about this is not comforting at all. Essentially Scapes says that XL Games "didn't have enough data" on the other types of archeum so they weren't comfortable altering drop rates and says that the "Archeum Supply Crate" wasn't designed to be the primary source of Archeum even though it gives the best drop rates. This is a crappy change, but the labor pot change is far worse.

Labor pots now costs 1/2 as much but are able to be used every 4 hours instead of every 12 hours (per character that is). This is ridiculous. The stated reason for doing this is:

"In follow-up Closed Beta surveys, the second most desired source of labor enhancement (85% of people) was "more labor potions on the Auction House". At current rate of labor potion consumption, it's expected that the game’s economy will remain healthy with slightly more in play as well. We're exploring this combination of findings by testing a new cooldown and price in a transparent test to see if this incentivizes more Auction House resale behavior of labor potions for in-game currency, causing more labor to flow through the economy to more people."

Which is complete BS as far as I can tell. First, they triple the demand for the potions while only halving the cost (if you increase the demand more than the supply, prices go up not down like they are saying). Now, instead of being able to get 5,760 (20 labor every 5 mins while logged in) during alpha with 8,000 possible labor from pots a day, you get 2,880 (10 labor every 5 mins while logged in) with 24,000 possible labor from pots a day. This is insane and makes leveling skills extremely trivial if you have the pots (1 labor = 1 skill point so it will take only 2 days to get a skill to 50k if you have the mats/time).

However, Scapes also says that there was a poll where 85% of people said this is what they wanted. As far as I (or anyone else can tell), there is no indication of that poll ever being held.

I've had a ton of fun with Archeage. I enjoyed the Alpha immensly. But it seems to be turning into a sub game where I will also be pressured to purchase things from the cash shop. Honestly, subbing in SWTOR was a better deal than it is in Archeage at this point.

I will see you all at launch, and will play and get to max level again. But any more of these changes/additions to the cash shop and I can't see myself continuing to play for as long as I had hoped.

Was anyone here polled about the labor pot changes?

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

I dont honestly find this surprising at all.  The biggest issue with the Original Korean Version was.... the Cash Shop. 

Lets not mistake this here... They are in this to make money otherwise they wouldnt have paid for the license to push it to Other regions. 

I had a hint of where this was going during alpha and im kinda glad i decided to pass it over at release.

#3 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

I dont honestly find this surprising at all.  The biggest issue with the Original Korean Version was.... the Cash Shop. 

Lets not mistake this here... They are in this to make money otherwise they wouldnt have paid for the license to push it to Other regions. 

I had a hint of where this was going during alpha and im kinda glad i decided to pass it over at release.

That's what I figured was going to happen as well. I was waiting to see the extent they were going to take it and, sadly, with each addition to the cash shop it seems to get worse and worse. It's unfortunate since I had a ton of fun with the game. It was worth it to get into the alpha but I'm not sure I will be subbing once my patron status ends.

#4 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

Yeah same here. We were all kinda waiting to see what Trion was going to do. So far it seems like it's all been a bunch of lies about their intentions. They just keep making the cash shop more and more OP instead of the other way around.

We will be playing it but the longevity and popularity of the game will be greatly diminished by this new cash shop stuff. The reality is that these days, people are very confused by all this jargon and shifty talk that developers use about their products. I don't feel like any of these large companies are ever honest about anything any more.

#5 Soulztealer

Soulztealer

Advanced Member

• 95 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I kind of figured this was going to happen with the cash shop but it possibly might make it not that difficult to get them without having to spend cash as it was extremely cheep to buy the labor potions off the AH because there were so many that had them. It will be interesting for sure to see how it goes in live. Keep your heads up we will have a ton of fun regardless.

b_560x95.png

#6 Zatara

Zatara

• 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

Looks like LP potions are going back to pre-CBE4 price and cooldown.  I can't seem to paste the link but check the Dev Tracker Forum section for "Scapes: Live Stream Questions ..." and look near the bottom of the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users