• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

AMD R9 Video Card Suggestion (for SC specifically)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi everyone

I am currently running a pair of MSI GTX 460s in SLI, and they are getting a little bit long in the tooth, so I have been thinking about upgrading to an AMD R9 card of some kind, mostly because SC will apparently use Mantle, and I would prefer to move to a single card config.  Perhaps once SC uses SLI it will be better but I am still thinking about upgrading.

Obviously getting an R9 290 would be awesome, but my budget being what it is, I am considering the 270, 270X, 280, and 280X version.  280X would seem to be the obvious winner except that I have read a number of user reviews that state that the 280X is really a huge boost from the 280.  I don't know much about the performance between the 270s and the 280s, but the price is certainly better (and I am sure they would still be a step up from my 460s).

Anyone out there have any experience with the R9 cards and Star Citizen?  Would a 270/270X be good enough or do I need to bite the bullet and hit the 280/280X level?

Thanks!

dbb-sig.png

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

im not gonna lie.... the r9-290 is great.... in a lot of games.... except until they optimize it to work better with SC,  its pretty awful in my opinion.  In either single or xfire mode. 

#3 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

I'm sure that will get worked out but yeah, I've read about the problems in Star Citizen right now. A driver fix would solve it and I'm sure CIG is pretty on top of that considering it's their promoted company of choice for graphics.

#4 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

you can get a r9 290 for as low as like 400 bucks

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#5 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

you can get a r9 290 for as low as like 400 bucks

As luck would have it, given my current job (start up company on a shoe string budget), 400 is a bit out of my price range :(

Perhaps I will have to wait until the 290 drops in price down the road.  It just kind of sucks that my 460s simply plod along in SC...would be nice to have some playable FPS.

I do appreciate the feedback though!

dbb-sig.png

#6 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

If you're building specifically for Star Citizen and are on a tight budget, your best bet is to wait for 2 more years. SC is aiming to make full use out of 2016 hardware and thus, even top of the line GPUs from today won't be able to run it at high when it's released. 

I haven't heard about the problems with r9 290 and I hope they will fix it considering I'm probably getting one in few weeks. I could have told you my personal experiences with it if I didn't have some personal issues that stopped me from completing the build already but.... Alas I can't help with that. I'm sure it will get resolved sooner or later.

There's supposed to be a big nVidia reveal soon (the 9x series) so the prices on some GPUs could drop. If you want, wait until at least then, I don't know the correct date but it should be before the month ends IIRC.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#7 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

Yeah it is always better to wait as long as one can, and I am not desparate quite yet :)

Thanks for the feedback!

dbb-sig.png

#8 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

I just bought a Sapphire R9 270x and forked over the extra cash for 4gigs of Ram. It was 225 Plus shipping at the time. I am VERY happy with it. I have no frame rate problems like before with my last AMD card. I still try going to a lower resolution in hopes of speeding up loading times but that hasn't really worked out so I've been doing max resolution. Plus my cockpit is always out of wack if I use a different resolution.

I'm willing to admit I could be very wrong and my psychic ability to predict the future is always failing me but I disagree with Kaldo and don't think I'll be needing a new card by the time the PU rolls around. I know they plan on 2016 technology but I think two years of graphics cards in our time is different than 2 years of PC technology back in the 90s when we had to get a turbo on the 486 to run WC3 but we had to un-turbo to play WC2 at the right speed.

#9 HeroLif3

HeroLif3

• 1 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

I personally run a water cooled 280x overclocked too about 1500 mhz but even before i clocked it SC runs great. but i agree with kaldo waiting for a nice card in the future is going to pay off in the end if you plan to put a lot of time into SC.

#10 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

I just bought a Sapphire R9 270x and forked over the extra cash for 4gigs of Ram. It was 225 Plus shipping at the time. I am VERY happy with it. I have no frame rate problems like before with my last AMD card. I still try going to a lower resolution in hopes of speeding up loading times but that hasn't really worked out so I've been doing max resolution. Plus my cockpit is always out of wack if I use a different resolution.

Oh nice, thanks for the feedback.  I hadn't actually talked to anyone that had a 270X and it is great to hear that they are good cards.  It might be the case where I try to pick up a 270x on sale and then upgrade again in about two years.

But, I am not in a super rush so I may wait and see what happens in the near future :)

dbb-sig.png

#11 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm willing to admit I could be very wrong and my psychic ability to predict the future is always failing me but I disagree with Kaldo and don't think I'll be needing a new card by the time the PU rolls around. I know they plan on 2016 technology but I think two years of graphics cards in our time is different than 2 years of PC technology back in the 90s when we had to get a turbo on the 486 to run WC3 but we had to un-turbo to play WC2 at the right speed.

That's fair and I'd say you're probably right. HOWEVER, I have no trust in my psychic abilities so I most often go by "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". So far it's working and at least I have my piece of mind. If this is really a build just for Star Citizen, then it's probably better to play it safe and wait. 

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#12 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Well, I wouldn't say it is only for SC per se, although that is certainly a consideration.  Mostly I would like to play the Arena Commander without FPS lag now, but there are other games incoming that I would like to play and that my 460s are starting to sit at the bottom of end of the playable specs.

dbb-sig.png

#13 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

I need to put a full disclosure on my card, a while back I had done some performance enhancements in a user.cfg file.

This could be why the game runs so beautifully for me and my AMD problems seem to have gone away.. Here's the contents of the user.cfg file:

r_Gamma = 1.15
r_AntialiasingMode= 0
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_ColorGrading = 0
r_SSReflections = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_FogShadows = 0
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 256
r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 8
sys_spec_texture = 2
sys_spec_sound = 4
sys_spec_physics = 4

It's not broke right now so I"m not going to fix it and am leaving these settings...

#14 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

I don't want to open a new thread just for that (and it's kinda relevant to this discussion) but has anyone seen the new GTX970? Same price as the r9 290 with better performance and much smaller power consumption. I think I'm going to get it asap (it's out of stock atm).

The only worrying thing is that I've never had an nVidia GPU before so... Hope I won't regret this, especially since SC seems to favor AMD.

#15 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Yeah the SC and AMD relationship certainly does make the AMD cards a bit more attractive.  I have always been happy with my nVidia cards though, and the new 9XX series does look quite sexy :)

Edit: just noticed this article regarding the new nVidia cards....might be worth a read.

dbb-sig.png

#16 totoherbs

totoherbs

• 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

I don't want to open a new thread just for that (and it's kinda relevant to this discussion) but has anyone seen the new GTX970? Same price as the r9 290 with better performance and much smaller power consumption. I think I'm going to get it asap (it's out of stock atm).

The only worrying thing is that I've never had an nVidia GPU before so... Hope I won't regret this, especially since SC seems to favor AMD.

You wont. Its doesn't make much of a difference about which vendor you get the card from. Its all about cost and performance. Right now I have a 280x because it was the best card for 1080p and in my budget. If I was to buy now I would go with the 970 its faster/as fast and uses less power/produces less heat.

#17 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

right now i am running two r9 270x's in crossfire and i get about 40 fps in the hanger but that is because cig has not really put any work towards lsi/crossfire. the 270x is a good card if you are going to upgrade when sc comes out, and kaldo the 970 is an amazing card for the price, in fact nvidia has held back the 960 launch because people keep buying the 970, the only reason i have not picked up two 970's is because i already have two 270x's... but ya the 970 is looking like it is going to be the most sold card this year.

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#18 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

I've ordered the parts, decided on the GTX970 in the end and hopefully I'll find some time to pick them before the end of the week so I can build it this weekend. If anyone's interested I can post some performance data, can't wait to test it out. Still wondering about the PSU, I'll order it tonight but basically, not sure if I should go for the thermaltake one (http://pcpartpicker....stpd0550mpcgus1) or the Antec (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m). Maybe even Seasonic (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze).

#19 Falcon515

Falcon515

Advanced Member

• 73 posts
  • LocationUSA Michigan

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

I've ordered the parts, decided on the GTX970 in the end and hopefully I'll find some time to pick them before the end of the week so I can build it this weekend. If anyone's interested I can post some performance data, can't wait to test it out. Still wondering about the PSU, I'll order it tonight but basically, not sure if I should go for the thermaltake one (http://pcpartpicker....stpd0550mpcgus1) or the Antec (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m). Maybe even Seasonic (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze).

Have you considered Corsair's CX600M or CX750M? In general, Corsair's products are arguably better quality than Antec and Thermaltake, and often trade blows with Seasonic.

#20 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've considered a lot of things but ultimately I don't know which one is better, they all have similar efficiency, wattage and price and the only thing that differs are opinions on which brand is the best. :D I might pick up the Corsair since that is the first one I've checked out some time ago (due to it being used in Carey Holzmans videos), I'm sure any of them would work fine anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users