• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Elite: Dangerous

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheVulcan

TheVulcan

• 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

I just bought Elite: Dangerous beta. Any of you guys play this game? Is there any plan to form a Romantics Corp in Elite? Also let me know your thoughts about this game and the golden age of high fidelity space sims.

If you are looking for an overview of the game and current status, 

I am sick of Star Citizen vs Elite: Dangerous fan boy fights all over the internet. I always knew I will play them both sooner or late. Both of them are too good to pass on.

#2 Trooper_Ish

Trooper_Ish

• 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hi, not sure if I'm the only one, but the beta for £50 is a bit much for me, even though I only "invested" in a couple of ships in SC (so already in the hole for more...) I'll probably sign up to give it a go later on, at the regular price (£35 atm?) but most importantly, I'm impressed by Chris Robert's support of what might otherwise be seen as a competitor.

I'm taking a clue from CR, who suggests that SC and ED focus on different, distinct ideas, and that they shouldn't conflict. At the end of the day, CR, seems keen that if someone can't do SC, at least they'll be playing Some kind of space sim, which is good for the genre/scene.

On a more personal note, Braben comes from Blighty, as does Chris's brother, so Yay! and personally I enjoyed both wing commander and elite series. Now I just need to grab me a Joystick...

But if there is an org in ED, I'd deffinately be interrested, as and when (and if?) I eventually get it...

#3 TheVulcan

TheVulcan

• 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

ED is promised to be released before 2014 ends. And the game's price is 50$ if you preorder (not sure they will charge 60$ later). So if you dont like the overpriced beta, you just have to wait 2/3 more months. I am not sure when Star Citizen will release the persistent world. That might be a while. So I am planning to get into ED in the meantime. Using the beta to get better at it before a lot of people starts playing it. It is after all skill based. So far I am a terrible pilot tho. Will keep practicing.

BTW there is already a Test Alliace in ED (by the redditors who made EVE Online Test Alliance). I will roam solo for a while. Just to see what its like.

#4 DaxBarlu

DaxBarlu

• 6 posts
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm in this game also been around since Alpha. I plan on getting my space fix until SC comes out with Elite. It would be fun to meet up with some Romantics in game.

#5 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

Elite is a great game. Keep in mind that it's more focused on the single player experience whereas Star Citizen is focused on multiplayer first. Elite is an MMO but there will come a time where you will rarely ever see another person in its massive galaxy unless you're in some starting/gathering hub.

#6 TheVulcan

TheVulcan

• 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

I wish Star Citizen went for single massive shard universe, like EVE. I am not sure what the experience will be like in persistent universe. I always looked at SC as "what EVE could have been". EVE was designed more than a decade ago. So the 3D cockpit, FPS elements and planet side areas was not practical. But EVE achieved amazing feet in other areas. They practically have a parallel universe. I want to see a lot of mechanics of EVE in SC. I hope they will do some of them.

Elite is creating a massive Galaxy. I agree with Wes. It will probably have a lot of system where no one is around. But I think only explorer type characters will experience that. Most people will cluster in different areas and make a game out of controlling all the resources nearby. Because shooting at rival corp is more fun. They will have to balance a lot of thing to get it right. SC is better off with a smaller world. It just need to be big enough.

Having real trouble shooting with gamepad in ED btw. I need to get a Joystiq.

#7 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:16 AM

I wish Star Citizen went for single massive shard universe, like EVE. 

I have a feeling that you're misunderstanding how servers in SC works. There's still only one persistent universe - it's just that players will have separate combat instances if there's too many of them, simply because it's technically impossible to have that many people in just one instance. These instances will have seamless transitions and won't be shown so theoretically, you won't even notice it. No loading screens, no queues, no teleportation or switching instances or anything like that.

As for E:D, it seems like a fun game that I'd like to at least try one day (maybe when it gets cheaper, not sure what's the current price) but SC is still the game in which I'm invested most. There are features that I'd like to try in E:D, especially the exploration part (I've seen videos of hyperjump and it looks amazing).

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#8 TheVulcan

TheVulcan

• 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hey that's very good to hear. I had wrong understanding indeed. This makes me more excited for Star Citizen. 

If you want to try ED, make sure u have a joystick. I can play SC with my gamepad. But looks like ED needs a joystick.

#9 Spectre_7

Spectre_7

• 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

ED is cool i have no idea what i am doing most of the time when i actually get to play not sure if its my internet or something else but i get kicked offline alot

#10 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

The power play patch that's coming up looks like it will add  more multi player stuff to do. The last wings patch was when I started checking it out where they added the ability to make groups. I have a clipper and a vulture that do really well and I am saving to either get a python or fdl unless the two new ships in power play have setups that I want to try out. I like the community goals and the immersive stuff outside of the game from the community like sidewinder radio. The game itself though is a mix of awesome and boredom.

I like the views you can find while exploring but hate the mind numbing activity of jump, scan, scan individual system items, then do it all again for the next system. The combat is fun but it to gets old after a while in pve doing bounty hunting. PVP online its more about who bought the ship with better shields, who uses shield battery's better, and who is rolling in the wing with the most friends. Mining in that game is terrible, but will be getting some love in the power play patch. I really like the feel of the space ships and the sounds they make. The scale of space is just mind blowing and really helps to put into perspective just how small our earth really is in the bigger picture of the galaxy. I think with each big patch the game is getting better and even with the faults I like the game now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users