• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Keto without meal choice?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joypunk

joypunk

• 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

Howdy folks,

I started about 2 months ago doing simple things to address my weight. Snacking less, drinking less, and being more active in general. Slowly but surely I've lost about 10 lbs with pretty minimal changes.

Hearing you guys talk about Keto and now reading about it here, it has me curious but I'm not sure if it's something I can do. My job requires me to travel about 1 week a month, and when we travel we have almost every meal catered - aka no choice in what's available to eat.

Typical meals we have brought in for us are pretty much everything listed to avoid - sandwiches, pasta, pizza, etc. I'm on the road currently and today's lunch was potato salad, baked beans, bbq brisket, and bbq chicken. There's nothing high fat there and the beans and potatoes are out right off the bat.

We bring our own snack food with us, but the working conditions don't give us time to go out and get or prepare our own meals. I could supplement meals with high fat snacks but I'd probably spend most days eating mostly snacks - hardly a fulfilling diet.

In your opinion(s), is the Keto diet even worth considering in this case? I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with the "keto flu" once a month.

#2 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

It's tough for me to answer, but I actually stopped keto due just my job situation.   When keto was perfectly successful to me, I had access to a great salad bar at work, with some keto-friendly choices (spinach, full-fat dressing, etc)..  However, this time around with the new job, with no nice cafeteria, even with pre-cooked meals I was having what felt like a hard time staying in ketosis.  Plus, I felt like CRAP all the time, instead of the usual great/energetic feeling that I had on keto previously.    I was watching my macros like a hawk, but I still could not get myself spun up and on track, it seemed.

I think a lot of it may be due to work stress, but I had to chill out on keto for now personally due to the strict nature of it, and move to a calorie-counting and healthy eating type of diet.  It's a bummer, because keto really is an amazing diet when you get dialed in on it.   

You should stop by the keto reddit, there are a lot of helpful people there, and a lot of good ideas for on-the-run meals.    You might have to end up paying out-of-pocket for your meals, but there are some keto-friendly places to eat that make low-carb options (Hardee's, Jimmy Johns "unwich" lettuce-wrapped sandwiches, etc.).

#3 joypunk

joypunk

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, Dan.

I actually went ahead and started a week ago. Spent all of last week on the road eating catered meals and was able to stay under 25g the entire week (most days under 20). Just had to go out and grab something else twice (they brought pizza one night, and another night was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and fried okra).

No keto flu at all for me! Not even the slightest symptom.

And I saw you, or Wes, mention /r/keto at some point so I was already all over that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users