• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Terraria 1.3 expert mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dalzedur

Dalzedur

• 3 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

Terraria got its massive PC update to v1.3 recently. This rekindled some interest in me towards that game, especially since it added something called an 'expert mode' as well as loads of stuff. Yet, I have never actually played Terraria on a server that had more than a few people (and even then chances were high that most of them were not online at the same time, despite living in the same time zone), so I wonder if there's enough interest in the community toward the game to have some manner of expert mode server established for it. I brought the idea up earlier today on Belannaer's stream, and I got the feeling that it could actually be possible to muster enough people to give it a try.

I gave this new update a try just now with another player, the 'joining via steam' feature did work nicely after the server setting was set to allow it, so no manual entering of IP address, unless you really want it, I guess. The expert mode was challenging and we could not reach a point of invincibility vs normal monster damage. It was usually 2-4 hits to die. :D

Terraria 1.3 changelog: http://forums.terrar...hangelog.20617/

I do not think that I myself can host that server, though, since I'm visiting my parents for a period of time the length of which I can't really say at this point. In addition, the layout of that place is the kind where the computers' space doubles as a sleeping room and it can get quite hot in the summer time there if the computers are not shut down overnight. Which they are, thus, not possible to have a server running 24/7.

What do you think?

-D

Creepy weirdo.

#2 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Since I lost my main saves 2 times already (and they were deep into endgame) I was indifferent about 1.3. However, I was convinced by friends, we started expert mode from scratch and I have to say it's as addicting as ever. Tons of improvements, content additions... and the fact that we have cloud saves now means no more lost saves :D

I do feel like boss loot is too weak considering how much more difficult they are, and generally expert mode is not really as rewarding as you'd expect. However, if you want challenge and find normal mode too easy, it will be right for you. We still didn't reach hard mode yet so we'll see how that works out for us.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#3 Dalzedur

Dalzedur

• 3 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, so far I've been playing with another player over LAN. Expert mode. It has been really enjoyable. I especially like that the bosses have not been 'too easy'. The Slime King wasn't difficult, but I'm not sure that one counts as a real boss since the NPC didn't show up after it. But taking the *Night-time boss down was really tight, only one of us was alive and the survivor had around 40hp (one hit away from death) once the boss died. After that we geared up a a bit and beat the invasion before trying the next one. The accumulated accessories at this point (extra 15-20 defense through prefixes and base items) probably gave us the edge we needed to comfortably play further. Those and potions.

The jungle boss was the next one we took down, that too was beaten with the first try, but the second one we found (still in easy mode) beat us (cramped lair, had little room to avoid). Corruption boss had become easy by that point (I think we should've maybe killed it first), since we had the gear and the maxhp for it. The dungeon entrance boss was _really_ challenging, got it on the third attempt. Next thing to do is to stock up on some obsidian and dig deeper.

I've been speccing my character for a tanker, trying to keep my DEF as high as possible, while the other player has been gearing up for magic damage, but by this point there has not been that much of a difference between our survivability, as it pretty much comes down to playing style and tactics. When you dodge the attacks, def doesn't matter as much, right? And even though I try to maintain high defense, I stick to ranged combat since the chance of getting hit (and stunlocked, damn you rolling head!) gets exponentially higher if you try using melee weapons.

How many players are there in your group, Kaldo? Mainly wondering about just how many hitpoints do your bosses have and if there's any sense (for balance's sake) in how their hps scale up with additional players. As for expert mode exclusive drops from the bosses... I don't know, the ones we've encountered so far have all been really nice, except maybe dungeon entrance boss's one which I haven't had the opportunity to test yet. Keeping in mind that the treasure bag feature is an expert mode thing as far as I know, and those are very good for money as well and seem to be a fair way of 'splitting' the loot evenly.

*) trying to keep potential spoilers down, but I'm pretty sure everyone and their dog already know of the Terraria bosses and features.

-D

Creepy weirdo.

#4 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

There's usually 3 or 4 of us and even though I don't have the exact numbers, I think their hp does scale according to the number of players. I've never noticed the difference since we all have pretty big DPSes by now, and having more players definitely increases our chances to defeat the boss since damaged players teleport back to base to heal while the others keep him busy (we're massively producing wormhole potions).

We're at the point where we're reaching the pre-1.3 endgame now (Lizhard temple), haven't done the special events yet... and I'm very curious about the new tier of gear. We barely notice expert mode now though, when you get some proper accessories and weapons it's much easier - we still die sometimes to new enemies or when they overwhelm us, which is totally fine - it's still tons of fun and very enjoyable. The great thing about Terraria is that any build you make, it's going to be useful, whether it's a mage, ranged character, fighter, tank or a yoyo master (which you should definitely try, it's so fun).

And the treasure bag system is great, great way to split loot between players. Before everyone rushed below the boss to pick up everything, now everyone gets their fair share :)

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users