• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Alpha 2.0 Experiences

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 numbskull

numbskull

• 3 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Did you get in? Have you managed to get any play without crashing? Did it meet your expectations?

I did not get in, but when Alpha2 goes public I'd love to meet up with some other folks for some multicrew missions.

#2 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:09 AM

Didn't get in but I've been watching videos and some streams. Apart from the constant crashing and fps issues it really looks amazing. Just the fact that you can fly to an object in space, get out of your ship and mess around with it (whether it's a station, a ship, another player, an asteroid, a wreck,...) is amazing. 

My biggest issue in SC is still the ship's interface though, and last time I played I didn't really like the feel of dogfighting. Haven't had the chance to test it after all the big changes so I'm looking forward to 2.0 public to see if it's improved, last time I was really frustrated with aiming (ship wobbliness) and g-forces.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#3 numbskull

numbskull

• 3 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

I got into the next round of testers. It is unfortunately still very crash prone, so I haven't been able to complete any missions. I spent the most time testing the new flight model in AC, its feels like it's a big step in the right direction. Hopefully a stable build is right aorund the corner.

#4 AkaiMahoMiru

AkaiMahoMiru

Advanced Member

• 88 posts
  • LocationOakwood, GA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

2.0 live is fairly stable now, but my Retaliator is flyable but not battle ready >.< makes a good dropship atm or a nice big target for asshats that hang outside the armistice zone XD

Banner.png

Best Regards!
AkaiMahoMiru

#5 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

I have to say I'm surprised with performance, it's also really stable unlike the previous PTU tests. The only thing I don't get is ship controlling, it's really weird right now. I'll have to fight some more to judge it properly but for now, I'm just happy when I get to spawn my ship and fly around for a bit.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#6 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

Ok so the 2.0 is on public build now and I have to say, I've been playing it a lot and really enjoying it. I don't remember the last time I was so in awe with a game, I thought that childish excitement couldn't be found in video games any more :) Just keep in mind that the performance in BabyPU is still pretty bad, mostly because of network issues and debugging I imagine - people who managed to get "offline mode" working report a huge improvement in performance so I'm sure it will get fixed soon, just like it was in ArCom (more on that later). 

So there I was exploring around in an Aurora with no real idea what to do. I was flying around a comm station, trying to find a way in, fighting with ship and EVA controls when suddenly some random dude contacts me in chat, asks if I'm friendly and then says he's next to me. I turn around and see a huge friggin Constellation that I missed until then, parked like 50 meters away from me. Jaw -> floor. The ship is beautiful and HUGE and no screenshots or videos can convey the true scale of that ship like when you're EVAing around it.

We group up, he says he's trying to salvage stuff from the station. This means, bumping into chairs and crates and trying to get them into the Connie's cargo hold. Everyone should try this, it's tons of fun :D. We eventually succeed (kinda, the cargo disappeared but whatever) but before boarding the Connie, another showed and blew ours up. We somehow survived, crawled out of the wreck and hid in the station. The feeling of floating through dark corridors with various furniture and personal items floating around you is amazing. It's still very glitchy and in first person EVA feels very frustrating - the camera is constantly shaking, bumping off walls, going back and forth, glitching through walls etc. but it was still an amazing experience. I can already imagine how scary it will be once we come to abandoned stations in the big PU, once we can find actual enemies onboard. Not something I'd want to explore alone, for sure.

Secondly, I tried running Arena Commander and I was pleasantly surprised to finally get stable 60 fps in combat. For the first time in 2 years I actually had fun dogfighting because my ship wasn't randomly wobbling around, the game wasn't freezing every time I destroyed the enemy, and I didn't lose control every time I made a sharp turn. The reduced thruster power also makes ships feel heavier and you definitely have to keep in mind asteroids around you now, you can't instantly brake when you're about to crash - it's has to be a constant threat on your mind. It's still enjoyable though, even though it might be due to the fact I was fighting in a rented Super Hornet, the 315p with it's fixed weapons is still horrible to fly and maneuver, but it's still a huge improvement over 1.3 flight model and performance.

In any case, if the BabyPU isn't working for you, I definitely recommend starting up Arena Commander again if you haven't done so in a while. Real progress has been made and the game is really shaping up to be the BDSSE, and I haven't even mentioned the procedural planet generation tech they showed off at the holiday livestream which is totally crazy and awesome (in the literal meaning). I remember drooling over a game called Infinity years ago that had a prototype of seamless entries into planetary atmospheres and I was heartbroken when it became vaporware eventually, I still can't believe SC is actually going to pull it off. 2016 is going to be a really big year for SC.

edit: I actually uploaded a short video, managed to cap 5 minutes with Shadowplay, I guess it will be fun to check out once the game is out and compare it  :) Check if out if you're interested. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZperluKi7gM

Mostly me goofing around the Connie and a glitchy explosion.

#7 AkaiMahoMiru

AkaiMahoMiru

Advanced Member

• 88 posts
  • LocationOakwood, GA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yep, its a blast although if you have a Tally wait for them to get it more battle ready and also it has a tenancy to get Jacked off your landing pad WHILE your still trying to get to the pad! XD so wait for them to implement player ID lockdowns so only you or your party can get in your ship. I've had mine jacked 4/6 times and/or rammed while still setting on the tarmac!  

I did however come across some decent players that want nothing but to explore so its all good, here's a screenie of one of those groups from Germany!

12375323_10153457899548401_1065084471362

Banner.png

Best Regards!
AkaiMahoMiru

#8 Falcon515

Falcon515

Advanced Member

• 73 posts
  • LocationUSA Michigan

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

I just played 2.1, and boy am I surprised! We should figure out a good way to play with each other now that this is turning into a playable game. I teamed up with a stranger; we admired each others ships, we went off and reactivated a comm station, then we went to a distress beacon and killed the pirates lurking there!

I'm really excited to get in and fly with some of you guys. This is turning into a real game :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users