• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

What TV series are you currently watching?

Television

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#1 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Do you have any good tv series to recommend, either new or old? Then speak your mind and spread the word!

I'm currently watching Community (just finished watching the first episode of new season). I've also been watching the Mentalist, I've gone through all the seasons in a month or few. Elementary is also interesting, a bit strange at first, you need to get used to the characters but very enjoyable later. Also waiting for Castle and Psych to return, great shows. Almost forgot Archer, very fun even though at least half of the jokes go over my head (probably) :)

As for the classics, I'm a big Firefly, Stargate, DS9, Futurama, Battlestar Galactica fan. There's more but I can't remember it all... I also realized just now that I might spend way too much time on this stuff... No regrets though. :D

Please NO SPOILERS here, don't ruin the show for someone who hasn't watched it yet  ;)

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#2 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

i am currently watching five-O. it is a really good show. i will most likely start watching falling skys next i have heard good things about it. two shows that i am dieing for to return is castle and rookie blue, both of those shows are amazing!

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#3 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Here is a list of the shows I'm currently watching, in no particular order:

• Arrow
  • Supernatural
  • NCIS
  • Community
  • Orphan Black
  • Elementary
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Castle
  • Psych
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Suits

These are the shows I try to keep up with. I watch other shows here and there, such as The Big Bang Theory. Of that list I would say Arrow and Orphan Black are my current favorites. Community had a somewhat disappointing Season 4, but just returned the other night for Season 5. I'll be interest in seeing how this season goes with Dan Harmon back as the Showrunner. Arrow has been a solid show and just keeps getting better. I could do without the CWesque chick flick moments, but overall its a pretty legit series for that character, and its opening up the world of the DC Universe for the TV screen (Just introduced a character recently that may be getting a spin-off series. Not naming who to avoid spoilers). As for Psych, I enjoyed the recent musical episode, and expect the new season coming up to most likely be the last. It had a good run, and definitely isn't as good as it was in the beginning which is the case for most shows with so many seasons.

I'm looking forward to Orphan Black and Sherlock Holmes to come back this year. Definitely up there on the list of my favorites for more recent television. I really suggest Orphan Black to everyone if you're into mystery type thrillers. I think the reason I enjoy those series are the limited amount of episodes per season. I feel they get more quality storytelling done without the need for as much filler content and episodes that a lot of American shows resort to in order to keep 20+ episode seasons.

#4 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm with you on those filler episodes Dekko. I tend to gravitate towards British series as well because of that.

If you have Netflix (I think it's still on there), one show I can recommend that most people don't seem to know about is "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson from X-Files. It's a crime drama but it's unlike any crime drama you've ever seen and it's an Irish show. The first season absolutely blew me away and I don't even like crime drama at all.

It has a refreshing format and it definitely doesn't drag anything out. Every episode is chock full of plot development and character development. Totally freaky and intense story. Can't wait for season 2.

#5 trechetican

trechetican

Advanced Member

• 46 posts
  • LocationKirkmichael, Bonny Scotland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

well the new series of sherlock started so will be on that soon just started a new anime call "log horizon" seems interesting so far there is far to many things to list that i watch, i have seen the Fall wes i like it, waiting for the new series of top gear apart from that stuff, i don't watch real tv much

The Trechetican Blizzard:Trechetican#2697
Youtube
twitter
facebook

#6 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

I more of less gave up tv and cut the cord.  However I do pop in every once in a while and catch up on stuff.

Current Series Arrow. - but not up to speed on the current season.

Blast from the Past - Farscape

#7 Phyxius

Phyxius

• 4 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

These are the current series' that I record to watch whenever I get the time.

• Falling Skies
  • Game of Thrones
  • Walking Dead
  • The Blacklist
  • Warehouse 13
  • Da Vinci's Demons
  • Vikings
  • Defiance

Of course every single one of them is not on right now lol.  But it will be a busy time in the coming months when the all are on.

#8 siralexlaw

siralexlaw

Advanced Member

• 48 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

These are the current series' that I record to watch whenever I get the time.

• Falling Skies
  • Game of Thrones
  • Walking Dead
  • The Blacklist
  • Warehouse 13
  • Da Vinci's Demons
  • Vikings
  • Defiance

Of course every single one of them is not on right now lol.  But it will be a busy time in the coming months when the all are on.

Good List here.

List of shows we finished front to back:

Breaking Bad - Little to no filler, phenomenal series.

Fringe - Several filler episodes - good overall story.

V - I honestly don't know wtf happened to the series I think it was cancelled?

List of shows we started but didn't finish or are in the process.

The Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

Bones

Elementary

Warehouse 13

Defiance

Falling Skies

#9 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Fringe.  Just started the final season.  Loved the series so far.  

Once done I'll probably watch BSG again from the start.   Warehouse 13 is also one of my favorites.

I can't watch any current-season stuff since my DVR is a pain to set up, and I can't do commercials. So, typically everything I watch is on netflix.

#10 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I completely forgot about Warehouse 13... It's such an interesting show, although cheesy at times. Very similar to Eureka I guess.

Walking Dead is great, I think the next season is going to be even better but why.. why do they have to end up every single season/episode with a cliffhanger :/

Also, if you haven't seen this "review" (criticism) of TWD, give it a try. I was laughing so hard at some scenes, the guy is spot on. Don' watch if you haven't see that whole season.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DDbi7P93Np8

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#11 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, Warehouse 13 is definitely very campy a lot of the time, and that's honestly what I love about it.   It's a nice light-hearted (most of the time) with some fun sci-fi thrown into it.  I love the cast of that show, I think they all have really good chemistry.

I totally forgot about Eureka! It's definitely another one of my favorites.

I lost interest in TWD during season 2.. it just got way too slow and overly dramatic..  ugh.  I need to check out how it's gotten since then.

#12 Palaciouss

Palaciouss

Advanced Member

• 55 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Falling Skies

Under the Dome

Game of Thrones

The Walking Dead

Big Bang Theory

Vampire Diaries

The Originals

The old shows I reccomend watching are:

Spartacus

Battlestar Galactica

All the Stargates

Fringe (If you've got the available brain process to understand that show)

#13 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

i can't believe i forgot about orphan black! i am also dieing for this show to come back on. this show really changed the game in the clone genre.

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#14 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Fringe.  Just started the final season.  Loved the series so far.  

Once done I'll probably watch BSG again from the start.   Warehouse 13 is also one of my favorites.

I can't watch any current-season stuff since my DVR is a pain to set up, and I can't do commercials. So, typically everything I watch is on netflix.

Fun fact. Warehouse 13 and Alphas are both crossovers of Eureka. They all exist in the same universe and have crossover episodes.

Also, I've seen everything you guys have listed so far lol.

Palacious, I really enjoyed Under the Dome. It's not the most well written tv show I've ever seen and it's cheesy as heck at some points but it's a Stephen King novel adaptation to a tv show and I love it :D

#15 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Fun fact. Warehouse 13 and Alphas are both crossovers of Eureka. They all exist in the same universe and have crossover episodes.

Which is strange because I definitely remember Artie (Saul Rubinek) being a scientist / villain in one Eureka episode! He actually dies there if I remember correctly :)

Haven't watched Alphas but I remember Fargo guest starring on Warehouse 13 multiple times, I always like when directors allow this kind of stuff. I also get excited every time Nathan Fillion makes a Firefly reference in Castle so I guess I'm easy to impress  ^_^

#16 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I definitely forgot about Warehouse 13 in my listing. I almost forgot it was coming back for it's final season. I definitely remember the crossover episodes between the different Syfy series. I enjoyed the Eureka / Warehouse 13 ones because both shows had a similar style and camp to them. I really enjoyed Eureka, and it's disappointing that Warehouse 13 is done after this season as well.

Eventually I will get around to watching Game of Thrones. I've been through the books and enjoyed them immensely, but have yet to watch any of the show. I don't have HBO so I've been waiting for it to be free on either Amazon Prime or Netflix. And I'm against downloading shows that I can't physically watch through the cable contract that I pay for. So, it continues to be in my queue of a show I want to watch, haha.

I saw Palaciouss mentioned the Stargate series, and I definitely second that. That remains my favorite Science Fiction franchise to date, especially on Television. Star Wars is more recognizable, and Firefly was amazing for what it was, but if someone asked me what my favorite science fiction franchise was on film/tv I'd have to go with Stargate. I just got done finishing Atlantis again not to long ago as I missed episodes here and there during it's live run on television. Anyone with Netflix or Prime should definitely check out those series if they are into Sci-Fi.

#17 trechetican

trechetican

Advanced Member

• 46 posts
  • LocationKirkmichael, Bonny Scotland

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

update on mine i just started watching a new anime called "Log Horizon" seems pretty good so far go check it out guys and gals 

The Trechetican Blizzard:Trechetican#2697
Youtube
twitter
facebook

#18 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

update on mine i just started watching a new anime called "Log Horizon" seems pretty good so far go check it out guys and gals 

Oh I saw you mention this in the stream today Trech and I just forgot to respond to it.

I've seen about 5 episodes so far and I like it ok. I do like the "in the game" animes to some extent. This one hasn't been TOO childish or goofy for me yet. I always compare anime to the likes of stuff like Cowboy Bebop so I can't say it's "good" but it's watchable for me still and I do want to find out what's going on in the story arc.

#19 Welfeena

Welfeena

• 23 posts
  • LocationKerbal Space

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

I don't watch as much TV as I used to since the holidays started but I try to catch up on shows now and again. Some of my favorites are:

• Dracula. I know what you think. Ewww vampires. No. This is no Twilight. This is raw, bloody, devious, calculating, great writing and setting. It is not a show where you can predict where things will go from one moment to the next which is what I love.
  • Elementary. I just love the chemistry between Holmes and Watson and I like the twist that Watson is played by Lucy Liu. I've always been a fan of her work. The one playing Holmes is unknown to me but he is tremendous in the role. He brings a sense of "flawed human" to the mystifying title of Sherlock Holmes. Plus it has humor
  • Grimm. This show has grown on me. I love all the characters for different reasons. All but the one that plays Grimm's girlfriend. She still rubs me the wrong way. An interesting take on my favorite childhood tales.
  • Star Trek Voyager. Old I know but so so good. The heart of that show is so big I get the feels whenever I watch the seasons.
  • Stargate SG-1. I saw the entire thing on Hulu before it expired. I'm glad I did. Even though I expected the ending to be different from what it was it was still a good wrap up.
  • Farscape. Speaking of crossovers I feel Farscape should have gone on longer just like the next show.
  • Firefly. The blue gloved men I want to know who they are! Why did it have to end so soon?!
  • Suits! Gina Torres can do no wrong. Seeing it from the beginning helps understand the relationships between all the characters. It's fun to watch the head games.
  • The Good Wife. Speaking of head games. Some pretty tough lawyers on this show. Some of the schemes that go through here will make you say say "Oh damn I can't believe they did that!" Don't let the title keep you away. That's the small part of this show.
  • The Blacklist. I should catch up on it. I like where it's going. I probably already figure out the big twist since the first episode, but I don't mind it one bit. Spader makes a great "bad" guy.‚Äč

If I think of more I'll add it later.

Posted Image

#20 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Ooh Welfeena. I saw the first episode of Dracula and I intend to get around to watching the rest. I watched The Tudors with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He's a good actor to play the role. The ONLY vampire stuff I like is the really old, original, Dracula'esque mythology stuff. I don't like any modern vampire stuff at all.

A little note: "Helix" starts tonight. I'm looking forward to checking it out but I never have any faith that these kinds of shows will be good or even watchable so, we'll see how it is!

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users