• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

A newcomer's guide to Star Citizen

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I imagine most of us here know what Star Citizen is and why everyone should be interested. However, we have new members join every day and even though there is a TON of information already out there, it can be confusing if you weren't following the development since the beginning. Therefore I'd like to create a summary of useful information, informative videos or SC-related links for all of you that want to know more about SC! This is all still very Work In Progress, it needs to have more resources, links, text, better formatting... Hopefully you guys can help ;)

One important note: Nothing I can write here can come nearly as close to being as good or complete as Bullet Magnet's BIG Star Citizen Admirer's ManualIt's a pdf document with over a hundred pages of neatly organized information, I cannot recommend it enough. Here's the link to his official forum thread: https://forums.rober...star-citizen/p1

Star Citizen project status:

There's this cool new (official) site on which you can find the current Star Citizen development progress. There are 5 main modules which will be released, with the final 'persistent module' combining all of them into one huge game.

Common abbreviations:

CIG - Cloud Imperium Games - company founded by Chris Roberts which is developing and publishing Star Citizen and Squadron 42

RSI - Roberts Space Industries - a fictional in-game ship and weapon manufacturing company, inventors of the jump drive

LTI - life time insurance - same as in-game insurance (replaces your ship in case of destruction, always with a delay) but lasts forever so pledgers don't lose the ships they got as a bonus for pledging

UEE - United Earth Empire - read more about the lore on this site or this compilation of links

UEC - United Earth Credits (the main in-game currency)

DFM - DogFighting Module (the unofficial name for the ship combat module, released on 2014/6/4)

AC - Arena Commander (the official name for the DFM)

Star Citizen is an upcoming space-sim. This means that it's a game in which you'll have a high degree of control over your spacecraft, it will feature realistic Newtonian physics where G forces influence your pilot and the ships will have realistic damage model, with parts of ship flying off when damaged, wings being clipped after collisions or whole guns being destroyed after a missile hits. The combat is going to be skill based, there are no character levels or experience - the better pilot wins the fight. The game will also feature character permadeath.

The game will feature a persistent sandbox universe with dynamic economy in which players can participate, but it is also going to be possible to run personal servers akin to Freelancer's servers. The game will be very open to modding and the devs said they might implement popular mods into the persistent universe, as long as it is appropriate. 

There is a separate standalone game called Squadron 42, set in Star Citizen universe, but unlike the persistent server this will be a singleplayer game with heavy focus on storytelling and a military campaign. It can also be played in co-op with friends. After finishing the main campaign of Squadron 42 you can choose to carry over your accomplishments to the Star Citizen universe character (most notably, the citizenship status).

Squadron 42 is included in most game packages currently available in the pledge store. Star Citizen doesn't have a subscription, it works on a buy2play model meaning that once you buy the game you can play as much as you want without needing to spend any more real money. If you, however, wish to support the game further,  you can opt to buy ingame credits (United Earth Credits) with real money but this amount will be limited on a monthly basis to prevent players to manipulate market and crash the economy. There will be no "premium cash", "gold" or "gems", all items you can buy in the game can and will be bought with ingame currency.

LevelCapGaming's Star Citizen promo

Summary:

- Official Star Citizen F.A.Q.

- On immersion

- Physics + CR's addendum

- Character range of motions test

- Permadeath

- The economy

- Engineering and ship components

- On instancing

- Multiple characters and game package information

- MVP post: Common Misconceptions About Star Citizen by Feylan

There's also the Wingman's Hangar, a show run by Eric 'the Wingman' Peterson. Its purpose is to make the development of Star Citizen as transparent to the pledgers as possible, while at the same time creating a community around the game. It often features developers answering questions from the community, sometimes even Chris Roberts (who recently appears in the special segment where he answers 10 questions from the SC magazine subscribers). 

For a great summary of WH episodes check out The Hull Truth, a great show run by that one guy you might have heard of, Wes or something. wesFist

There is an excellent summary of happenings in the last four months (November 2013 to March 2014) by Nehkara on the Star Citizen subreddit, which was also featured on the 25th The Hull Truth. Check it out HERE.

Arena Commander - the return of the hype

Arena Commander is the name for the fictional in-game ship combat simulator, formerly known as the Dogfighting Module. It was released, after numerous delays, on 2014/6/4. To access the Arena Commander in your hangar you first have to equip the helmet which is located on the pedestal in your hangar. Then, after getting into your ship's cockpit, you'll see the Arena Commander interface in which you choose the map and game mode you wish to simulate.

Currently all people have access to the singleplayer portion of the Arena Commander. The multiplayer is going to be released in phases, depending on the server capacity. The order in which people get access to the multiplayer is based on your citizen record number (which depends on how early you backed SC). You can find out what is your UEE Citizen record by going to your profile on the RSI site (for example, mine is #33512).

There are 3 ships available for flight at the moment:

• the Aurora
  • the 300i
  • the Hornet

If you don't own any of these ships but have the game package, you'll temporarily get one which is the closest to your pledged tier/amount.

There are 2 maps available:

• Broken Moon 
  • Dying Star

and 5 game modes:

• Battle Royale - the classic free-for-all scenario
  • Squadron Battle - team deathmatch
  • Capture the Core - capture the space flag
  • Vanduul Swarm - how many waves of incoming Vanduul fighters can you survive?
  • Free Flight - great for testing ships and keybindings

You can read more about the game modes, ships in the Arena Commander and the basics on controlling your ship in the official Pilot's Guide. Here's a preview on what you can find in this guide.

Additional notes:

• To play AC you have to download a +10GB patch, so plan accordingly
  • Please check the official forum bug reporting thread before actually reporting bugs, to prevent duplicates and spam
  • Official AC Reported Issue Workarounds thread
  • It is currently impossible to rebind key configurations. Rumors are that the system to do so is practically finished though, and will be implemented in the next AC build when the patch arrives

edit: Formatting, abbreviations, missing words, grammar errors. Learning that visiting your posts a day after is a very humbling experience.

edit: Added some basic AC info

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#2 trechetican

trechetican

Advanced Member

• 46 posts
  • LocationKirkmichael, Bonny Scotland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

HYPE

The Trechetican Blizzard:Trechetican#2697
Youtube
twitter
facebook

#3 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Good job Kaldo :)

#4 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Nice Job.  IF i can help with this.. let me know.

#5 Kor Fox

Kor Fox

• 24 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Great post! Really useful info!

#6 I_D_I_O_T

I_D_I_O_T

Admin

• 51 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Very nice post. thanks Kaldo

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin

#7 CoFRDoG

CoFRDoG

• 29 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlandsss... s.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Awesome, thanks for this!

I actually only found out about Star Citizen 2 weeks ago so I got a lot of catching up to do it seems!

#8 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Awesome, thanks for this!

I actually only found out about Star Citizen 2 weeks ago so I got a lot of catching up to do it seems!

If you haven't seen it yet, allow me to direct you to Wes' The Hull Truth, great way to catch up on all sorts of SC information  (edit: I saw your intro post, and see you came over from youtube, so disregard.  I'll leave this here though :D )

Full Season Listing

#9 CoFRDoG

CoFRDoG

• 29 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlandsss... s.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Haha cheers for that. The Hull Truth is actually how I found out about star citizen and this place!

Edit: I saw that you saw

#10 DeBlackheart

DeBlackheart

• 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for this Kaldo, I am trying to get my friend into SC and I am now using this as a starting point.

#11 LOOPYDOG

LOOPYDOG

Advanced Member

• 135 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

My Question is how many in the star citizen org are in north America. eastern time zone?

#12 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

Don't know the exact number but we have people all over Europe, the U.S. and other places.

#13 LOOPYDOG

LOOPYDOG

Advanced Member

• 135 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I have had over 50 request from orgs and I have decided to join you guys!! funny thing I never received one from you guys. It was just from watching the hull truth.

The things I was looking for strong SC plat form, good web site, good people ( never met anyone of you but the force is good lol), and a team that listens to the people, so if you ever need a wingman just call! Now where's the recruit officer :) Ill go though SC site.

See you here and the verse :)

#14 LOOPYDOG

LOOPYDOG

Advanced Member

• 135 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

One thing im not able to find? Is there a spot on the web site just for star citizen that's not just a chat room??
like planet info for members, ship info, star maps, picture gallery's. ect. or are we just feeding off of RSI site?? 
take a look at these groups that I looked over
www.101st.info/  web site clean layout, star system lay out is good !
www.capellan-confederation.com  You have to see (star map) best on I have seen yet. better than nothing. first page at bottom. I know there will be a 3d one.

one other idea The star Citizen section could it be laid out as a different color from rest of web site to make it special !!

don't shoot the newbie for ideas.

PS, looked for a forum to place this couldn't see one so I put here. if wrong spot any one with powers can you move to correct forum. Thanks!!

#15 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Honestly, those two websites are difficult to navigate and almost EVERYTHING on those sites is just a copy/paste from the official RSI website. There's no original content like we have. They're also very hard to look at :(

Also, we are a community. We have sections for our entire community and we're not JUST about Star Citizen. In fact, we're mostly about the community and Star Citizen happens to be what I am personally, very excited about. Where I go, my community typically goes.

The front page of this website will never be JUST about Star Citizen. My weekly news shows covers everything that comes out for SC. Our Star Citizen forums section will be fleshed out more and more as we get more people here interested in it and we get closer to release. We're also have a "group" system here that allows us to make groups and thus cool things for those groups. The Star Citizen group stuff is in the works and will show up at some point.

The main thing to remember here is that ALL the technical stuff and work that takes place to make all of our original content, website, twitch streams, etc... is done by two people. Myself and Dekkocards who is my web admin. He has a MORE than full time job and I spend around 90 to 100 hours a week on my media projects including this.

Neither one of us make a dime off of it yet.

The point is, we're making a multicultural place (in terms of geographic location AND gaming tastes) that all gamers can feel welcome and at home in a place where they are #1 to us. Star Citizen just happens to be an excellent medium for this and MOST of us are going to play the hell out of it FOREVER! :D

#16 Gulfair

Gulfair

Advanced Member

• 40 posts
  • LocationDunedin, Fl

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Wes, Thank you for all your hard work and giving me an oppotunity to be a part of your efforts.

it is what it is, but life is what you make it...

#17 beelzeblob

beelzeblob

• 22 posts
  • LocationClemson, SC

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

I've got a question related to Romanticorp.

I'm slated to graduate in December right after the game comes out, and I'm not 100% on what I'll be doing after I do graduate. I've already pledged and am really excited for the release of SC, but I can't be sure how much time I'll have to devote to it. What kind of commitment level do I need to be a part of Romanticorp? I'm not looking to be an officer, I'd much rather be a lackey. If I can get online once every other day for 2-3 hours at a time, will I be able/allowed to do anything useful for Romanticorp? 

#18 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'm slated to graduate in December right after the game comes out, and I'm not 100% on what I'll be doing after I do graduate. I've already pledged and am really excited for the release of SC, but I can't be sure how much time I'll have to devote to it. What kind of commitment level do I need to be a part of Romanticorp? I'm not looking to be an officer, I'd much rather be a lackey. If I can get online once every other day for 2-3 hours at a time, will I be able/allowed to do anything useful for Romanticorp? 

As far as I know, there is no time commitment required to join the corporation.      We're also an overall community, and we all have our various gamer profiles (casual, hardcore, etc.).   As you mentioned, the game is still a ways off and none of us really know what our RL situations will be at that time. I know a lot of us are going to be dumping a TON of time into the game most likely, but that's by no means expected out of everyone.  :D

#19 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Wes, Thank you for all your hard work and giving me an oppotunity to be a part of your efforts.

You're welcome. Thanks for the support!

There's no requirement except from officers/leaders. You can play as much or as little as you like :) One main goal of the divisions within the org and their leadership roles is to make sure that people that don't get to play as often still have a thriving community to participate in within the game when they can play.

There will always be something for you to do whether it's just within the game mechanics or doing something for some aspect of the org, regardless of your total play time. I believe this is keeping us in line with Chris Roberts' goals for the game as well.

#20 beelzeblob

beelzeblob

• 22 posts
  • LocationClemson, SC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users