• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Climb-down from the Mountains of Fatness

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

So I decided to start keto yesterday after hearing Wes and Nahku and some other people talk about it so much. Been thinking about it for long and it feels like something that would be really great for me. Currenly I'm really into and my wife also is going to be doing it with me due to me doing all the cooking :P

It's probably gonna be a bit rough at start to change my eating that much, especially giving up some stuff like sodas which I've been drinking pretty much my whole life is going to be difficult. I'll probably have to figure out something alternative to drink because just water is going to get annoying very quick. So if anyone has any ideas on that front please let me know!

On the food front it is fairly easy for us to go for keto because we've been doing quite low carb diet for about 2 years now anyways. Just have to cut rest of those away and do some new foods, which excites me a lot. I LOVE trying out new foods so it's just great to have to re-think my cooking.

I don't think I will be doing too much exercise at all, at least not until the winter in here is totally over and then I'll probably start with some long walks with my wife and maybe move on from there. Going to a gym or doing any sports just doesn't feel like something I would ever want to do so something alternative like walking/running/cycling instead for some exercise is probably the way to go for me.

So wish my luck on my quest for thinner Belannaer!

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#2 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Awesome, Bel!  Good luck, man.  With a little persistence, you will totally see results on keto.   It's normal to feel like hell for the first 3-5 days on keto, but after you push through that, I felt amazing.  Some people never even get the "keto flu" for those first few days.

This site has some great keto-friendly recipes:  http://cavemanketo.com/

I'm happy to talk with you at any time if you have any questions or are looking for support. :D

#3 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thanks a lot! I have chronic flu so I probably wouldn't even notice the difference to beh honest :D But I am feeling super tired today. That site looks really nice, have to read through it.

#4 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Wanted to note down that at the moment (keto day 3) I am 108kg / 238 pounds so I can keep track of progress. It's very hard for me to get under 85kg / 187 pounds because I'm pretty heavy build body type. When I was working in England and lost ~30kg of weight and was in pretty much my peak condition I was around 85kg and losing any weight from that would have been pretty much impossible without going into some kind of sick underweight stuff. So my ultimate goal would be to get to around 85-90kg but if I get under 100kg I would be already very satisfied.

#5 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

I gave up almost all soda drinking a year back or so after drinking it with almost every meal for a few years and the effect that alone has had on me as been immense. It was hard at first because I was so used to drinking it, but now I drink almost nothing but water and tea and it's been so much better for me.

Good luck with your little adventure here Belannaer, I hope it works out for you and give the results you are looking for!

#6 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Awesome Belannaer! Good luck man. It can be a life changing experience. If you need any help you can always ask. I'm always around somewhere!

#7 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Oh and I drink Black Coffee, Tea and Water mostly. You CAN make hot chocolate if you do it the right way and pay attention to the rest of your daily intake. Unsweetened cocoa powder is safe to use while on Keto, just look at how many carbs per Tablespoon. You use a tablespoon of that with water and Heavy Cream. Heavy Cream is straight up fat which falls in line with Keto. Then for sweet you use Stevia powder. You have to be REALLY careful with Stevia. Only Stevia in the Raw is good. Any other Stevia is bad for you. It's also VERY strong. One packet is like getting a TON of sugar. So you have to sweeten it just a little bit until you get it just right or it will end up tasting bitter.

#8 AquilonQc

AquilonQc

• 16 posts
  • LocationVal-d'Or, Quebec, Canada

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

That's good to hear Belannaer! I'm also starting Keto next week (Next grocery). Since my wife is doing the grocery and most of the cooking, it will be a little challenge. She doesn't want to step in the Keto either and we have 2 young kids so i'm still wondering how exactly i'm gonna manage my Keto Diet.

For the drinks, I was also a big soda consumer in the past. What I thought doing was to buy a machine that carbonates any kind of drink. I can then take water, flavour it with some squirt flavor (Mio etc.) and carbonate it. It technically makes a soda with 0 carbs. I am actually at 255 Lbs/115 Kg. I'm 6'1" and I plan on getting down to 210 Lbs/95 Kg.

#9 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

That's good to hear Belannaer! I'm also starting Keto next week (Next grocery). Since my wife is doing the grocery and most of the cooking, it will be a little challenge. She doesn't want to step in the Keto either and we have 2 young kids so i'm still wondering how exactly i'm gonna manage my Keto Diet.

For the drinks, I was also a big soda consumer in the past. What I thought doing was to buy a machine that carbonates any kind of drink. I can then take water, flavour it with some squirt flavor (Mio etc.) and carbonate it. It technically makes a soda with 0 carbs. I am actually at 255 Lbs/115 Kg. I'm 6'1" and I plan on getting down to 210 Lbs/95 Kg.

Oh one of those soda machines might be a nice idea. Now I know what to ask for my birthday :P Me and my wife have solved the cooking issue so that I try to make foods that are keto for me but can easily add a bit more for her like cook some pasta/rice/etc. in addition.

#10 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

So it's 1 week now of keto behind me. I've lost around ~2kg or ~5 pounds during that time. Pretty nice, although a lot of that might be fluids.

#11 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Nice!  Yeah, the first week+ is mainly water weight (which you'll gain most of it back if you leave ketosis, one of the few rough things about keto, no "cheat days").   Have you found a good meal plan that works for you?   Keep up the good work, man.

By the way, if you like eggs, cheese, and bacon (who doesn't?), make these... they're amazing: http://cavemanketo.c...akfast-muffins/

I typically leave out the broccoli though, since I get that with my lunch most of the time.

#12 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Haven't figured out fully good meal plan yet as we have been trying out some foods and stuff but it's getting there. Holy hell, those muffins look god-like. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

#13 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Nice!  Yeah, the first week+ is mainly water weight (which you'll gain most of it back if you leave ketosis, one of the few rough things about keto, no "cheat days").   Have you found a good meal plan that works for you?   Keep up the good work, man.

By the way, if you like eggs, cheese, and bacon (who doesn't?), make these... they're amazing: http://cavemanketo.c...akfast-muffins/

I typically leave out the broccoli though, since I get that with my lunch most of the time.

Those look awesome.

Good job Bel. It IS water weight at first but, the fat will fall off too. :D The great thing about Keto is that after you have made it so far, it's easy to do and keep it up as long as you want or need to.

#14 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Down now by ~4kg or ~9 pounds.

#15 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Nice job, man!  Hopefully you've figured out a good meal plan that works for ya.

#16 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

Yeh, good work Bel! We all support you wesHeart

#17 Shiftless

Shiftless

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, and look into G2 Gatorade.  It's got some carbs in it and all, but it works w/ South Beach, doesn't taste like salt, and goes on sale at Costco all the time.  In fact, they just ditched the Lemon/Lime in the multi-pack for Blue Frost.  No idea what Blue Frost tastes like, but it's good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users