• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Skyrim modding

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

News

There is a new memory fix. Can't really instruct more than this Reddit post does. Easy enough to add if you follow it properly. You will need SKSE installed for it. It helped me A TON and have had no issues yet with it. Basically got rid of most of my crashes, freezes, lag and even improved FPS in places. Here's the link: http://www.reddit.co...uy_pretty_much/

New additions and changes:

Updated Immersive Armors v6 to v7. It adds a lot more armor and shields etc. now.

I'm considering going werebear with Moonlight Tales mod (http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/35470/?) and getting
some kind of werebeast perk tree modification mod also for my playthrough.

Introduction

Since I'm doing a run of super-modded Skyrim and a lot of people have been asking about my mod list I decided to throw a list of mods I'm using and recommending of using and at the same time giving a small guide about modding. If you have any questions about the mods or modding, or suggestions about some mods to use or to do something different just reply to the post or let me know some other way.

My goal with the modding Skyrim is to enhance the base experience. This means not altering the existing content too much, not adding any silly lore-unfriendly stuff, no adult stuff and no anything super overpowered. Also since I'm streaming I have to worry about performance and so should you, even if you aren't streaming.

Word about different mods

Here is some guidelines what to look out for when adding mods to your game.

Performance heavy stuff:

• Graphical mods, ENB etc. - Used only use these if you have really beastly computer. Worse graphics and fluid gameplay is better than a pretty slideshow.
  • Any mod affecting lighting
  • Many of the outside mods like "Climates of Tamriel" as they are affecting large areas script-wise and graphic wise.
  • Follower and some creature mods can be really script heavy due to the AI so be careful with those.

Stuff that has no bearing on performance:

• Most new creatures
  • Most animation changes
  • New items such as armours and weapons - great way to add variety into your game

Stuff to avoid:

• Script heavy mods - These can really really badly lag your game. They may look like small and nice immersion adding stuff such as "Player headtracking", which makes you head turn towards people who talk to you in 3rd person mode or "Wet and Cold", which makes NPC wear hoods and clothing when it rains/snows etc. and it really LAGS your stuff.
  • Super-high quality graphics - They will make your game look pretty like the screenshots but your framerate will also be about as fast as looking at those screenshots. Especially NPC graphics and models can cause a lot of trouble in crowded areas due to there being a lot of them and their complexity.
  • Things that add small stuff and details into game - Good example of these is "footprints in snow" and similar mods. They don't really affect anything so don't bog down your game with things like that.
  • Most audio mods, like the Sounds of Skyrim series. They can be really resource heavy for some reason.
  • Anything that says it conflicts with something in the description. If it conflicts with one thing it probably does with a lot of other stuff too. Just avoid.
  • Personally I would also avoid adding new homes, they can be buggy and you should just get the DLC for homes instead.
  • ONLY get mods you are definitely going to use. Installing and uninstalling a lot of them multiple times can and will lead to trouble.
  • Avoid mods that tell you to alter a lot of files, like init files, because you can really mess up things with these. Only do it if you really know what you are doing.
  • Also avoid huge additions such as Falskaar. Only use these as your only mod and not with combination with a lot of mods.

Essential tools

• Skyrim Script Extender - Mandatory for almost all mods
  • A mod manager such as Nexus mod manager
  • BOSS - plugin load order manager
  • TES5Edit - to clean up some mess made by the mods or if shit hits the fan and you need to fix something
  • Optimizer Textures - A lot of the mod textures are badly optimized and even Bethesda's own ones are. Makes you lose a bit of quality but helps a ton with stuttering and can help with crashing. Can also make you crash more, be careful.
  • ENB graphics modification - Only get this if you plan on using any ENB stuff like Seasons of Skyrim

Step-by-step guide to start your modding

1. Do a clean install of Skyrim.
  2. Download all the essential tools linked above.
  3. Install Skyrim Script Extender. This will be now the program to launch your Skyrim, instead of using Steam etc.
  4. Install Nexus mod manager (or other mod manager of your liking) for easy install/uninstall of mods.
  5. Now is time to get your mods. You can use Steam Workshop or Nexus mod site (I prefer this one). With the mod manager you can just click on the "Download (NMM)" link on the site for easy downloading. If it's not there you need to go manually into the "files" section and pick what you want. Most of the time you can still use "Download with manager" in there also, you just need to pick what you want. Read CAREFULLY through the descriptions of each mod since they can have dependancies for other mods or make you alter some files to work.
  6. Install ENB if you are going to use any of the mods requiring it.
  7. Go to Nexus and double-click on all the mods you want to activate.
  8. After you have your selection of mods (don't go too nuts at first) you need to install BOSS.
  9. Close your mod manager and run the BOSS and let it run through to sort out your load order. It will then give a popup on your browser. Go through it and you can see if your mods are having issues or missing dependancies. Fix those as needed or uninstall the mods. You can mostly ignore the "dirty edits" comments. You need to run BOSS every time you add or remove new mods.
  10. If there are some huge issues you can use the TES5Edit to fix them.
  11. Now it's time to run your Optimizer Textures to optimize your texture graphics. Do this every time you add new graphics to the game. It will help your performance.
  12. Run Skyrim Script Extender and play the game! Check out how your mods work and fix/remove if there are issues.

My current mods

Essential mods

Highly recommended mods

Animals, creatures mounts & horses

Animation

Armour & Weapons & Other Gear (most of these are just additional gear you can find)

Cities, towns, villages and hamlets

Companions

• Bijin Warmaidens -- few more followers, kinda randomly just picked this
  • Hoth -- Best follower mod out there

Environmental (all of these just make stuff look better)

Guilds and Factions

Immersion

Items and Objects - Player

Items and Objects - World

• HD Misc -- Retextures random misc items.

Magic

Models (most of these add or change models to better)

New lands (haven't tried these yet so can't comment)

NPC

Visuals and graphics

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#2 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Looking good man! Thanks for doing this write up on the forums.

#3 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Excellent write up belannaer, have a good long pat on the back.

I've really enjoyed watching your Skyrim stream the last couple of days, some of these mods just seem amazing and fix a lot of the stuff that annoyed me playing the game myself. I might have to try some of these out and give it another play now! (Like I don't have enough to do already, damn you!) wesFist

#4 siralexlaw

siralexlaw

Advanced Member

• 48 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thank a bunch for this, it will allow me to streamline what I'd like to use if I planned on running a playthrough of this. Any idea if there is a multiplayer mod? to allow like 1 other person in your game? 

#5 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Nice, thanks Bel.  Making me want to reinstall Skyrim now...

#6 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

haha, I was thinking the same thing Nak. I might have to get Skyrim for PC and mod it to oblivion, get the real skyrim experience.

#7 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I might have to get Skyrim for PC and mod it to oblivion, get the real skyrim experience.

And now I'm confused!

#8 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

It's simple Pyso, Im going to mod it so much that it looks and plays exactly like ES Oblivion, duh

#9 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Great write up! I will definitely use this to try Skyrim once I upgrade my PC. You might also do a video showcase of just how much is the game changed with all these mods.

However, my biggest problem with Skyrim was combat and enemies' level scaling - some enemies had way too much hp and you just had to bash on them until their hp slowly reached zero... Any mods that fix that?

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#10 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Great write up! I will definitely use this to try Skyrim once I upgrade my PC. You might also do a video showcase of just how much is the game changed with all these mods.

However, my biggest problem with Skyrim was combat and enemies' level scaling - some enemies had way too much hp and you just had to bash on them until their hp slowly reached zero... Any mods that fix that?

You can check my stream for the modded Skyrim later this week/next week when I play it. There's ton of different mods for combat/enemy balance but I'm not familiar with them. Just go to Nexus and look through the combat section.

#11 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Skyrim can look absolutely amazing when modded to the nines, here are a few in game shots of my skyrim characters/locations. 

jbrXIPrfb5E4QQ.jpg

j4whtxEA6BQZ8.jpg

jjDq0MCGefZjq.jpg

jRSWe5rQsBKQH.jpg

j8B4eVEKxcV5r.jpg

jjgeB9eLBEBb4.jpg

jmaMK2NdRFFmO.jpg

jbcWhbYRSYArjo.jpg

jvvNmLzevjW8P.jpg

jsq7u0KkD1Nik.jpg

jb0thbhYZpgPSr.jpg

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#12 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

It may look great but it's probably unplayable at that state :P

#13 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

It may look great but it's probably unplayable at that state :P

Yeah, what sort of a monster machine do you need to run that thing?? It does look amazing though.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#14 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

People very recently (yesterday?) found out about some new ways to enhance the game that may allow a crap ton of more modding and especially the heavy kind. Apparently also fixes practically all crashes and freezes except ones that are just caused by badly made mods etc. So something like that might be possible in future in a playable state too.

#15 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Unplayable? Runs around 30 - 40 fps mostly, which is more than fine for me to enjoy the game. Running on a i5-3570, 16gb ram and nvidia 660 2gb. Most of those were using the Unreal Cinema ENB.

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#16 trechetican

trechetican

Advanced Member

• 46 posts
  • LocationKirkmichael, Bonny Scotland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

http://www.reddit.co...uy_pretty_much/

or

http://www.reddit.co...ith_adjustable/

check these two pages out the second one i have not confirmed working yet but the first one works my game hasen't crashed since i applied it

The Trechetican Blizzard:Trechetican#2697
Youtube
twitter
facebook

#17 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah that's not unplayable. I've played it like that plenty of times over 60fps with an OC'd 3770k and a 680gtx with 16gb of ram. I doubt I could stream it like that at the same time though.

#18 Kremmel

Kremmel

• 19 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I keep itching to play skyrim again but then I remember my computer sucks. So i am waiting to upgrade my computer for SC and then i'll try out some heavily modded skyrim. I still need to beat dragonborn as well.

Freelancer Kremmel

#19 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

I went through both moonpath to elswere and wyrmstooth both of those were pretty fun. The air ship pirates in moonpath were amusing. Another mod of that type worth mentioning is Falskaar. That one is very well done and has excellent voice acting its basically like an official expansion. Apparently it was a project a 19 year old guy did in a year, basically working on it like a full time job as a means to apply for a job at bethesda. Apparently he didnt get a job with them but Bungie picked him up and hired him on as a game developer so you can mod your way into a job if your serious enough about it.

#20 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Curious, what does the Installation Order and Load Order look like for that array of mods, belannaer?

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users