• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Anime - Yep, Somebody had to bring it up.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

So ever since i was a wee lad,  i have been attracted to cartoons and anime.  I went full apeshit with the appearance of Robotech.  It blew my fragile little mind compared to what else was on tv at the time in my area.  It was light years ahead of its time in my opinion.  Over the years, i have consumed a Stupid amount of Anime to the point where I actually feel a little embarrassed to admit this at my age.

With that said... Considering I still enjoy Anime at the ripe old age of 40,  How about we post a sort of Top 5 list and toss in a few shows you are currently watching, or recently watched.  I am interested in seeing folks responses and see if any similarities exist.

Recently Watched - Legend of Legendary Heroes, Attack on Titan

Still Watching - One Piece,  Naruto

Top 5

1. Cowboy Bebop

2. Gundam Wing

3. Samurai Champloo

4. Full Metal Alchemist (i enjoyed both)

5. Ghost in the Shell (to include the SAC)

Few Honorable Mentions -  Outlaw Star, Trigun, the Non Naruto and Bleach Filler episodes,  Rurouni Kenshin, Afro Samurai

I am told that Steins Gate is interesting so I will be checking that out soon.

What does your list look like?

#2 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

I have never really gotten into Anime. Don't get me wrong, some of it looks amazing and I'm a big fan of animation. I still watch Cartoons today and pretty much buy any DC/Marvel animated movie that comes out on DVD. A lot of people have mentioned popular Anime to me that I never even got a glimpse at. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually become fond of it and watch some of these amazing series that everyone speaks of. The only Anime I really ever watched was stuff that became popular over here on US television.

With that in mind, the extent of my Anime watching would include the following:

• Cowboy bebop
  • Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT
  • Gundam Wing
  • Voltron
  • Speed Racer

#3 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

I enjoyed almost every DC show that's come out and I think this is where DC Excels.  Marvel on the other hand has a better live action movie feel to it.  DC has just had a really rough go at movies but made really great anime/cartoons.

#4 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I agree on the animation part. DC has always produced pretty good animated series. The Batman series that came out in 2004 was decent, and it definitely felt Anime-influenced. 

I just remembered another Anime I watched, but it is not something that was really popular it seems. They made a Supernatural: Anime series about three years ago. The Anime itself borrowed storylines and arcs from the first two seasons of the show, as well as adding other characters and better exploring some of the past content that the show was unable to do. I'm not sure if they plan on making anymore episode of it, as its been about 2 years since it released fully. The way the show was and the story arc it followed, it still has a decent and somewhat final ending.

#5 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

star wars the clone wars. nuff said...

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#6 BizarroPirate

BizarroPirate

• 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

my top 5 would probably be

-FLCL

-Cowboy Bebop

-Gurren Lagann

-Gundam 00

-Baccano!

currently watching: space dandy, one piece, toriko, kill la kill, mushishi

#7 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

I've never been into anime much but people keep mentioning Cowboy Bebop, many compare it with Firefly. I guess I'll have to watch it one of these days then?

It's a tricky situation because if it turns out great, I'll get my heart broken again because the series ended so soon (like Firefly), it only has one season IIRC.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#8 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I've been adoring Kill La Kill for it's complete lack of consideration for the norm. I love that I've introduced it to a few people, always tell them "fyi, it's not a fanservice show". They protest initially. A few episodes in I always hear back "You're right- it's not". It's certainly a show about more than you might think at first glance.

#9 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Cowboy Bebop is amazing. If you have not seen that, you should. It's nothing like your typical, run of the mill anime. It's a well written, engaging, mini-series in my mind.

I love GOOD Anime but get sick of the childish, repetitive Anime that's the norm now.

I have a very difficult time doing favorites or top 10's or anything like that but some of favorites are:

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Vampire Hunter D
  • Princess Mononoke (and anything Miyazaki has done.)
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Naruto (and Shippuden)
  • FLCL
  • Berserk
  • Record of Lodoss War
  • Heroic Age
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Attack on Titan

I'm currently watching:

Hunter x Hunter and Space Dandy

Space Dandy is freaking CRAZY but I love it. It's directed by the same guy that directed Cowboy Bebop.

#10 milksgonebadd

milksgonebadd

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Oh wow, didn't think anyone liked Gundam:D Does anyone know a good place I can watch Space Dandy on the interwebs?

#11 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I'm not really a big fan of anime, but a friend gave me seasons 1 and 2 of Cowboy Bebop as a gift a while back.  I should probably check it out and see how it is. :D

#12 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Been a big anime fan since the 90's when they started releasing videos in the UK, but finding it harder to find stuff that I enjoy nowadays. Did really enjoy Attack on Titan, and hope they make more of it and soon. Sword Art Online was great, especially the first half. 

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#13 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

I'm not really a big fan of anime, but a friend gave me seasons 1 and 2 of Cowboy Bebop as a gift a while back.  I should probably check it out and see how it is. :D

Yeah you should man. It's amazing. "Anime" really doesn't have anything to do with it on that one.

#14 BizarroPirate

BizarroPirate

• 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Oh wow, didn't think anyone liked Gundam:D Does anyone know a good place I can watch Space Dandy on the interwebs?

you can watch space dandy straight off the cartoon network/toonami site

#15 BizarroPirate

BizarroPirate

• 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

If anyone hasn't seen this, its called batman of shanghai.  Really awesome animation style. 

#16 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

If anyone hasn't seen this, its called batman of shanghai.  Really awesome animation style. 

Wow that was pretty interesting.

#17 Metricos

Metricos

• 13 posts
  • LocationEast coast, US

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

In no particular order...

Outlaw Star

Cowboy Bebop

Witch Hunter Robin

.hack//sign and .hack//roots

Sword Art Online

Attack on Titan

I'm sure I've forgotten six or seven hundred shows in there, but that's the general idea of my top ones.

#18 pitvipers

pitvipers

• 15 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

man if i would list all the anime ive watched and enjoyed.. i'd come close to writing a book :P
one i really enjoyed and recommend is "Code Geass" 

some others i really enjoy(ed) are: 
Rurouni Kenshin
Hunter x Hunter
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Death Note
Fate/Zero
Evangelion
elfenlied
Dead Man Wonderland
and many, many, many many more :D

Youtube: n00bg0n31337 (not that i post vids or anything xD)
steam: Pitvipers

#19 YsFanatic

YsFanatic

• 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I find that I enjoy a variety of anime, but not always the 'classic' ones most other people rave about.  Such as Cowboy Bepop, I enjoyed it but its nowhere near being a favorite.  *shrugs*  

Anyway, some of my favorites are...

RahXephon

Heroic Age

Persona 4: The Animation (even though I have the game I still enjoy watching this)

Macross Plus

Macross Frontier

Angel Beats

Gundam 00 (First season for various reasons, 2nd season because I enjoy flashy battles)

Sword Art Online

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  There are others I really enjoyed but didn't include for one or more reasons, such as an incomplete ending/series or having only specific scenes I really like.  Attack on Titan and Valvrave are two examples.

#20 Gimpxtreme

Gimpxtreme

• 3 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Anime is something that is amazing in itself. I have personally watched quite a few series and there are a select few that I absolutely love. So here goes my list.

• Full Metal Alchemist (Both Series)
  • S-Cry-Ed
  • Death Note
  • Escaflowne
  • Case Closed

These are the ones that I have personally thought were the best. The stories are gripping, characters are deep, and it just keeps you on the edge of your seat. Unfortunately, I have never seen a Gundam series, I might have to go off everyone's list and pick one to watch. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users