• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

The Batman speaks

DekkoCards The Batman Introduction

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

I figured I'd finally get this out of the way. It is funny realizing that I worked on this site, and did some "patching" to the old forums but never actually created an Introduction thread. Anyway...

I'm Dekko Cards, jokingly referred to as Batman by some streams on twitch and some people in our community chat. I've been watching Wes since his Torchlight II stream almost a year and a half ago. I stuck around after that game and caught him playing some games like The Walking Dead, The Witcher 2 and probably one of my favorites that I ended up streaming myself, Don't Starve. I decided to keep coming back since I enjoyed the streams Wes offered and the chat was a nice change when compared to others around twitch.

I streamed myself for a little over 2 months from December 2012 until mid-February 2013. My real life job got in the way and caused me to be unable to stream as much as I wanted. It was at this time that I took a break from streaming and concentrated on putting more effort into work. I worked a ton of overtime and missed out on the stuff that was going on in The Romantics stream for a bit, almost unaware of the stuff Wes was going through at the time.

I ended up streaming off and on in more of a relaxing way starting in April, and caught Wes streaming again as he was starting to get things back in order with his community. I started chatting with him more outside of the stream and around the middle of May I decided to start helping out in the way of artwork for his entertainment. It started off with some overlay work for his live stream and some buttons for his information section. Towards the end of June I decided to help him out with his Website and took over duties that Softwareskull had abandoned. I threw a pretty design on the main Wordpress Blog page to make the site look more engaging and re-skinned the phpbb forums that softwareskull had set up for the community back when he had worked on the site. While it wasn't perfect, it allowed us to add content to the website on a weekly basis in a more comprehensive format.

In September Wes officially made me part of the Romantics Team. Not the Twitch Streaming Team, but what was considered the main guys behind the community. This was a real honor as it wasn't something I intended on, as all the work I did was purely charity. I never started any of this expecting something in return. So when it was announced on stream, I was very grateful. To add to that, when October rolled around I started streaming on the main Romantics channel. It was a month of The Batman for me. I went through all three Arkham games that month, starting with Asylum and ending with Origins at the end. It was a fun ride and I enjoyed being able to play a series I enjoyed while interacting with the community.

November work started up again as demand for what I do required me to work more hours and with no real games worth playing I slowly ended my streams on the main channel. With Wes trying hard to get partnered, and the way Twitch rewards streamers with partnership I decided it would be best not to stream at random times on the channel as I felt it would hurt his chances. I never streamed for numbers and only played things I wanted to play. Funny enough, he ended up getting Partnered about 2 weeks after this. Needless to say, we were all excited and it came at a time when something positive was needed.

With that on the horizon and the Star Citizen show and game slowly drawing closer I managed to talk Wes into letting me redo the entire website. I was never a big fan of the Wordpress format outside of the blog layout. It didn't have built in forums, or galleries, and you basically had to patch everything together for poor integration that could break when any of the software would be updated. This was something I wanted to avoid and I had already acquired an IPS license earlier in the year. I spent most of December getting everything ready for the new site, downloading and backing up databases and content that would be required to carry over. Finally, after all that the site you guys see now went live January 1st, 2014.

I'm looking forward to where we go this year. I feel with the upcoming multiplayer games we will be able to bring more people into our community and be more than a Twitch site, or a Star Citizen youtube show. We will be able to bring in gamers and give them a place to call home, surrounded by positive-thinking people and mature adults. I am looking to get back into streaming soon, and some ideas I've been playing with will be then. I check the site everyday, and try and change, fix, update whatever is needed when I have the time.

That is my story with The Romantics. To get a bit more specific and personal... I'm from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I'm 27 years old and will be turning 28 on February 20th. I'm currently an Operator for a company named Philadelphia Energy Solutions, a position I got in September of 2013. I currently live by myself with two dogs, a Rottweiler and a Siberian Husky. I broke up with my ex-girlfriend around the middle of September. It was on good terms, so there was no real sorrow or being upset over the situation. If anything, it allowed me to do more things I wanted to do with my time off and has given me the ability to save up money for things I'll enjoy. I'll be going to New Orleans at the end of February for Mardi Gras, which I've enjoyed in past years.

In terms of gaming... I've been gaming pretty much my entire life, and still find myself going back to those classic games from Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I'm a big fan of platformers which has been awesome over the last year or two thanks to the "indie" surge of games coming out. With that said, I spent probably 2000-2010 playing nothing but MMORPGs such as Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, and DC Universe Online. I played plenty of others, but those are probably my favorites. This year I'm looking forward to Broken Age, Wildstar, Castlevania, Star Citizen, and The Repopulation. There are others throughout the year, but those are the ones I look forward to the most.

That concludes my novel. Feel free to read it, or don't. Feel free to ask questions if you want. And just for those lazy folks around here...

TL;DR - I'm Dekko Cards. I'm Batman. I Do Stuff.

wesHeart Dekko Cards

#2 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Hey Dekko!

Always good to know who the person behind the nickname is. We are all lucky that you are part of this community, our community! Thanks for all your hard work, know that all of it is appreciated (even all the stuff behind the scenes we can't see) wesHeart

#3 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Awesome man.  You have been a major force and looking forward to getting to know you better.

#4 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for sharing, it was an interesting read. Always nice to hear from someone who's been with the Romantics for a longer time!

And if you ever decide to stream Don't Starve again, with all the new updates, I have to watch that stream... I'm terrible at that game  :D

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#5 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hey Dekko, thanks for sharing your story, and thanks for all the work you do around here.  The new website is awesome!   

#6 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Great write up Dekko.

First of all I just want to publically say thank you. The help that you've freely given has actually kept me afloat in my personal life. The amount of stress lifted off of me, especially during some trying times, has been the absolute best thing anything could have done for me and I didn't realize that it would come to me in the form of a random person on the internet that I would get to know.

For those of you that are possibly newer or maybe just don't know, at one point I was working around 100 to 110 hours a week on the website, stream, recording the YouTube stuff etc... On top of that I was going through a LOT of personal stuff including the death of both of my parents. The stress was getting to be an insurmountable monster on a daily basis. Dekko's offer to help at first took me a bit to accept fully because it's VERY difficult for me to just turn something of my own over to anyone, especially when it deals with this community that I love with all my heart. When I did and then slowly just gave Dekko more and more control, I began to trust him and knew that he would try his best to take care of this community as well. Once I got to that point, the stress that was lifted off of me was immense. It's amazing how much time it saves me when he does even small things like slap a button together for the twitch page. I'm so inexperienced with that stuff that when I do them myself, it takes me ages and is nowhere near as good as what he can do.

As it stands right now, Dekko is the ONLY other official member of The Romantics production team. That just means our team that does all the nuts and bolts work on the products and the website etc... There used to be 5, now there is 2. Vincent will probably be coming back as well to make it 3 :D

So yeah, this guy deserves the credit for a LOT of what I consider to have made my own productions successful. The YouTube series wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is without his professional layout design. I can guarantee that much. :D

I don't say it enough because we're mach doods but, I love you man and I really do appreciate the help and participation. It's something to do such a meaningful thing for someone else. Thank you.

Wes

#7 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate those who took the time to read through all of that, as it got rather lengthy as I continued to talk about my history here. I figured it'd be nice for newer people to know who I am and why someone who isn't always in the chat or streaming is on things like the Romantics Team and Admin on the website.

As I've said in plenty threads and vocally in chat and teamspeak, I'm here to help where and when I can. I can't always been quick about things due to real life priorities, but If you guys have suggestions, questions, or just want to chat about stuff feel free to hit me up, be it through twitch, twitter, chat, email or PMs on here.

Thanks,
Dekko Cards wesHeart

#8 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Good stuff Dekko. You've certainly helped the stream out in a big way. :)

#9 I_D_I_O_T

I_D_I_O_T

Admin

• 51 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

batman-bed.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin

#10 Jhay2727

Jhay2727

Advanced Member

• 81 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Nice Dekko, thank you for your friendship and everything you have done for those of us who have been here from the beginning (well most of it). wesHeart

#11 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

batman-bed.gif

Haha, what in the world...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DekkoCards, The Batman, Introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users