• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Last and current book you are reading

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

I really like reading books and I like hearing about books from other people so I wanted to start a topic about it. So please tell us about the last book you've read, why did you pick it up, what was it about (genre etc.) and how did you like it after you read it through. Also tell us about your current book and what made you start reading that one.

Last book I read was Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. I had read the book already as a child and wanted to read it again. It being christmas time I thought it would be a great time to do it. I'm huge fan of Terry Pratchett's work and I especially love Discworld books where one of the main character is Death and this one he's pretty much the most active character so I loved the whole book from beginning to end. I would highly recommend it to everyone and all other Discworld books also :)

Currently I'm reading Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files - Proven Guilty. The Dresden Files has become one of my favorite book series of all time after randomly picking up the first one from the local library and after reading it I just went online and bought first 11 books of the series immediately. I finished the previous book in the series during holidays and wanted to continue the series as soon as possible, just made a short sidetrip to Discworld first. The series is fairly continuous from book to book and really builds up the story and characters in each book and it's getting more and more interesting and I can't wait to see what happens to Dresden. I really recommend this series also if you like modern day fantasy detective style books with a lot of action and dark humour.

So what about you?

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#2 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Ah, the Dresden files. I kinda came over them randomly as well, was browsing in a bookshop with my girlfriend and wanted to find something new to read for a trip we were taking and after 20ish minutes of browsing I randomly picked the book out of the shelves and it sounded good enough from quickly flipping through it. I started reading it when I got home to check it out and ended up finishing it in one day, so I went back the day after and bought all the rest of the series I could find. The characters are built up fairly well and the writing is excellent!

My last book was The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. It must be the 15th time or so I read through this collection, I just love Conan Doyle, I love his writing, his narrative, his characters! A collection of books and short stories I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a good read, the extra little plus is that many of them are short enough to read before bed without dragging out forever.

Currently I'm reading something a bit heavier, Ruthless Norwegians - The State Police 1941 - 1945. As mentioned before I study history at university, and while this has nothing to do with any of my classes this semester, Norway during the occupation in the second world war is one of my favorite subjects. The book has been rather good and interesting so far, but it's hard to recommend it to anyone who doesn't read Norwegian :P

#3 trechetican

trechetican

Advanced Member

• 46 posts
  • LocationKirkmichael, Bonny Scotland

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

...Book? what's that... just kidding i am currently read the Book of five rings from Miyamoto Musashi... i'm kinda into japanese things and swordsmanship... i study iaido

The Trechetican Blizzard:Trechetican#2697
Youtube
twitter
facebook

#4 pitvipers

pitvipers

• 15 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

the last series of books i've read, and really the only books i own right now are the dutch version of david gemmell's drenai series (not to be confused with blizzards draenei) i would have bought the english version, but the english version has only been released as derpy soft cover pocket books... yuck..
its a serie of 11 books, however they dont all follow the same character, they where not written in chronological order either,
its a fantasy serie set in a continent torn up by (over the course of 11 books) multiple wars, conflicts and other crap, 

not sure what else to say other than i recommed these books to anyone who is into fantasy :P

Youtube: n00bg0n31337 (not that i post vids or anything xD)
steam: Pitvipers

#5 Patmelad

Patmelad

• 16 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Been bored at work lately and started Re-Reading the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. So many good books lately

But before that was

the Obsidian trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory

And 

the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

#6 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Reading "A Dance with Dragons" right now. I don't have nearly enough time so it's going slowly but I'm pushing myself to finish it so nobody can spoil it for me... :D

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#7 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

The last book I read to completion was His Majesty's Dragon.

It's the first book in the Temeraire series.    In an overly simplified summary, it's pretty much an alternate reality take on the Napoleonic wars.. so there are ship battles at sea, but with dragons.   I personally loved the book.  I started the second one, Black Powder War, but never finished it..  Hmm, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

#8 genadmission

genadmission

• 18 posts
  • LocationMtl, Qc, Canada

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

The last series of book i completed was the complete Isaac Asimov collection, both the Robots and the foundations half. VERY very good ''realistic'' science fiction novels. The robots half is more nowadays to kind of far in the future, you might have seen the bicentennial Man or I Robot every stories are more comparable to short stories and maybe some are novels. The foundation was by far my favorite half. Seven novel spreading over 500 years of time.

At the moment I am reading the Dune series of novel, (at the 4rd one atm) also very good, the David Lynch movie cover pretty much all the important aspect of the first 2 books, obviously the books are better but if you like the movie you sill enjoy the books.

both series aren't very action oriented, more like a long plot development.

#9 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

The last book I read to completion was His Majesty's Dragon.

It's the first book in the Temeraire series.    In an overly simplified summary, it's pretty much an alternate reality take on the Napoleonic wars.. so there are ship battles at sea, but with dragons.   I personally loved the book.  I started the second one, Black Powder War, but never finished it..  Hmm, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Oh I saw these books in a second-hand store one time and thought they looked in interesting but skipped on them because I'm not big on alternative histories. Now I'm kinda regreting it, hehe.

I started playing EVE Online thanks to Rushlock and felt like reading something scifi with spaceships and action so I went and ordered all 3 of the EVE books. 2 of them have now dropped in and I'm itching to start reading the first one.

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Been bored at work lately and started Re-Reading the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. So many good books lately

But before that was

the Obsidian trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory

And 

the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Read all of those :D

I really need to read Wheel of Time again. Been SO long. I started reading those when I was in highschool, or earlier!

#11 Metricos

Metricos

• 13 posts
  • LocationEast coast, US

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm in the middle of reading through some Lovecraft (I love horror and mysteries) as well as re-reading my all time favorite, Tigana. I actually just finished the first Wheel of Time book and started into the second, but kind of need a break since it's such a dense series and I have so long to go.

#12 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Last book I read was book 4 in the Parasole Protectorate series by Gail Carrigar called Heartless. the book I am currently reading is Sense and Sensability by Jane Austin. However I am reading a TON of manga :P OH and I am working on my own story, cant say it will turn into a novel but we will see how it goes with time

I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

#13 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'm in the middle of reading through some Lovecraft (I love horror and mysteries) as well as re-reading my all time favorite, Tigana. I actually just finished the first Wheel of Time book and started into the second, but kind of need a break since it's such a dense series and I have so long to go.

Do you read comics/graphic novels at all? Stephen King's son writes a graphic novel serial called Locke and Key that's very Lovecraftian in nature. I love it.

#14 Metricos

Metricos

• 13 posts
  • LocationEast coast, US

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Do you read comics/graphic novels at all? Stephen King's son writes a graphic novel serial called Locke and Key that's very Lovecraftian in nature. I love it.

I haven't heard of Locke and Key but that sounds awesome. Will look into it for sure!

#15 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I haven't heard of Locke and Key but that sounds awesome. Will look into it for sure!

On a side note for scary/weird, I've been reading the old Hellblazer comic as well. It's old-school writing and art at its finest. It's very wordy; which I like in a comic, and the stories are very well done. The first arc is about a voodoo curse type thing and this evil bug spirit/creature that possesses people. It's freaky.

*Edit - For those that don't know, Hellblazer = Constantine

#16 Metricos

Metricos

• 13 posts
  • LocationEast coast, US

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

On a side note for scary/weird, I've been reading the old Hellblazer comic as well. It's old-school writing and art at its finest. It's very wordy; which I like in a comic, and the stories are very well done. The first arc is about a voodoo curse type thing and this evil bug spirit/creature that possesses people. It's freaky.

*Edit - For those that don't know, Hellblazer = Constantine

Oh yeah Hellblazer was super good. I should re-read that in the future.

#17 ArcTwoSix

ArcTwoSix

• 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Last two books i read were A Memory of Light, book 14 of Wheel of Time, and The Wise Man's Fear The Kingkiller Chronicle: day two.

Both series are amazing, would recommend either to fantasy and epic fantasy fans

#18 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

Last two books i read were A Memory of Light, book 14 of Wheel of Time, and The Wise Man's Fear The Kingkiller Chronicle: day two.

Both series are amazing, would recommend either to fantasy and epic fantasy fans

Saying "book 14" out loud makes me face palm every time... WHY SO LONG JORDAN!

#19 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hey everyone!

I just finished Lone Survivor. It's a really great book and goes into great detail at how the SEALs are trained so they can do what they do on a daily basis (you know, heli insert at night in the pouring rain, 7 mile hikes in the mountains at night, Taliban ambushes, etc.) along with Marcus Luttrell's crazy survival story.

I'm moving on to The Gun. Apparently it's a historical narrative focused on the AK-47, its inventor, and its impact on the world. Seems pretty interesting.

If you couldn't tell, I like military nonfiction. :)

@psyo_ - I am reading the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle complete collection of Sherlock Holmes too. I love them so far and it has made me realize what a great job BBC has done with Sherlock.

#20 Welfeena

Welfeena

• 23 posts
  • LocationKerbal Space

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

The last book I read and like to read more than once is Seeker's Mask by P.C Hodgell. The author and his works are not in publication anymore and finding their stuff might take a bit longer than usual but it's not impossible. Of course I'm talking about back in 2004 or 2005. I got it back when ordering books through a book club was a thing. I didn't know it was not the first in the series but it didn't matter I really enjoyed the story with strong female voice. I also found myself cheering for the "bad guy" but I won't give spoilers. I have still yet to read the story from beginning to end though I have all the books. Yes I went out of my way to get all of them for completeness. My ocd knows no bounds sometimes.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users