• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Last and current book you are reading

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 MinosN

MinosN

• 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Saying "book 14" out loud makes me face palm every time... WHY SO LONG JORDAN!

While ready the last three which were written by Brandon Sanderson with Jordan's notes makes me wonder if Jordan was still alive how many books he would of stretched the series to. 

#22 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Currently reading "A Thousand Sons" the next book for me in the Horus Heresy series.

#23 AquilonQc

AquilonQc

• 16 posts
  • LocationVal-d'Or, Quebec, Canada

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Last book I read was "A brief history of time" (English) by Stephen Hawkin. Yes, I know, it's very nerdy! I must also admit that it took me a while to finish it. The matter of fact is that I actually wanted to understand the book, not just read it. The notions are very well explained but then, they are very complex and sometime a bit hard to understand or imagine. overall, I loved the book. There is a simpler version (and that does not mean simple) called "A briefer history of time" by the same author. He explores the same subjects but on a "watered down" level.

Right now, I am Reading "the sword and the stone" by miyamoto musashi. It's a very long Japanese story from their feudal times. I haven'T read a lot yet but so far I really enjoy it!

#24 Aritani

Aritani

Advanced Member

• 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Currently reading Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore. Last book i read was The Crystal shard, the one before in the series. :P

Really good series if people haven't read them before and like The Forgotten Realms/Fantasy. 

hv737pE.jpg

#25 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have only actually finished maybe 7 fictional novels (aside from comic books) in my life, and now i feel like even a bigger dork :D the last book I finished was "Windows Server 2012 Inside Out" and the next on the list is "Confucius" by Meher McArthur.

#26 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Currently reading ender's game. next will probably be world war z or lone survivor

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#27 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

While ready the last three which were written by Brandon Sanderson with Jordan's notes makes me wonder if Jordan was still alive how many books he would of stretched the series to. 

Oh man... I shudder to imagine. I still can't believe I started reading these when I was a kid in school and they're still going... It's like a goosebumps series of books but 1000 pages a piece!!

I have only actually finished maybe 7 fictional novels (aside from comic books) in my life, and now i feel like even a bigger dork :D the last book I finished was "Windows Server 2012 Inside Out" and the next on the list is "Confucius" by Meher McArthur.

I have a friend that reads non-fiction exclusively and MOST of what he reads are political biographies. He loves that stuff!

Currently reading ender's game. next will probably be world war z or lone survivor

Ender's Game is a must read for anyone that likes fiction. I heard WWZ is actually GOOD as a book. I didn't really like the movie. Severe pacing issues and terrible CGI as well as stealing the look and feel of everything from other movies. Brad Pitt never even had a chance to "act" in that film.

#28 Aritani

Aritani

Advanced Member

• 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

I watched the Ender's Game movie recently and it has left me wanting to read that series. Not a big Sci Fi reader though, so it may be a while before i get to it.

hv737pE.jpg

#29 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Crystal Shard is the only piece of Salvatore's that I've read.  Enjoyed it, just never ended up owning any more, and it seemed his work and Drizzit was spammed everywhere, I think I started avoiding it.

#30 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

I just finished reading Catching Fire, the second book in The Hunger Games series. I'm going to start Mockingjay tomorrow to continue my challege listed here

#31 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Finished Mockingjay yesterday afternoon. Pretty good conclusion to that Hunger Games series, looking forward to the movie adaptations. Tomorrow I'm going to start Divergent in prep of the movie adaptations coming out in March. 

#32 LOOPYDOG

LOOPYDOG

Advanced Member

• 135 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

hmmmm books well i don't think im in the same league as you guys :unsure: , I drive around a lot listen to audio books in the car. So far about 150 books plus, princes of mars books were good, all Sherlock Homes books, Tarzan series, and tons si-fi books, and tons of mystery.

I have over 100 star trek novels, haven't dusted any off recently, get sleepy trying to read war and peace -_-

#33 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

Yup have most Hellblazer comic's which I must re-read, also found out NBC is making it into a TV show, sweet. Hack / Slash is pretty good as well, but prefer the dry humour in Hellblazer. Just finished the GoT series books, awaiting the finale once written.

H.P. Lovecraft's collection (At the Mountains of Madness, is a favourite)

Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", pretty good read and better than the movie.

Ice Station - Matthew Reilly, great author, read all of his work, think Hollywood action film in a book.

#34 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Currently reading scifi novel The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks. First 50 pages or so seem really interesting. It's part of his super long Culture series which I have several other books from too but this is the first one I'm actually reading. Also got The Long Earth that is a collaborative science fiction work by British authors Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, both which I really like. Really looking forward to reading that.

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#35 Erivel

Erivel

Advanced Member

• 104 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

A few weeks back i finished Peter Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.  It's some of the best sci-fi that's come out in decades IMO.  I'd recommend it for anyone who likes sci-fi, mystery, intrigue, conspiracy, and just everything in general.  Great, great books.

#36 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Found the book I was missing:

The Legend and Bizarre Crimes of Spring Heeled Jack - Peter Haining, 1977

Had some interesting theories, including one that "Jack" was a visitor from off world, and also documented sightings of him in the USA. All up over 100 years of sighting's of something/someone that has fascinated me since I could read.

#37 Aritani

Aritani

Advanced Member

• 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

Well, i previously said i was currently reading an R.A. Salvatore novel and that i would eventually end up reading Ender's Game. Well, didnt end up finishing Streams of Silver, but have read and finished Ender's Game and am halfway through the next book, Speaker for the Dead.

Also gonna read the Hunger Games series because i watched the last movie and wanted to know what happens in the end. 

hv737pE.jpg

#38 Shiverin

Shiverin

• 15 posts
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well the last book I read was some time ago, The Langoliers. Before that a lot of fiction/anime books. Now I just don't ever get the time to read. I kind of started writing my own stuff. Two I wish I could have finished but I seem to have lost my files or hope it's still on my old PC. I believe I also had them printed out from where I left off but I have to find them, I hope. Since I am a space kind of person and futuristic minded that's is the direction I took. I actually started another one since I can't find my others. Sci-fi but more current to real life times. Maybe if I ever can finish and find the others I might share them. I'm not the best writer but the people I shared what I did so far liked them and wished as I do that I had finished them. Crap, I just depressed myself now.. :(  Here's to hoping I do.

The Cosmos is filled with tons of unanswered questions, I have but one, are you friend or foe?

#39 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

Just finished "The Forever War" (Peace and War Edition) by Joe Haldeman in 1974

Mind blowing....If I try to explain it in great detail my head will explode...

Two species Man and an alien race wage war against each other, but the soldiers sent to fight are sent light years from home, due to "time dilation" the soldiers experience life in local time even though centuries have passed on Earth, their technology is updated regularly even though it may have taken decades in Earth time to research, as they return Earth has changed and they re-enlist to serve far away numerous times, as they do not fit into society, as centuries pass on Earth they barely age, till mankind becomes a type of cloned hive mentality collective..

I wont reveal how it ends, but suffice to say..."I didn't see that coming"....

It has all the hallmark's of Robert Heinlen's brutality depicted in "Starship Troopers" and interesting takes on the evolution of society. Only after reading it, I discovered Ridley Scott has waited 25 years for the rights to the story and has someone drafting a screenplay......EPIC

Also looking forward to "Guardians of the Galaxy".

#40 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Glad you enjoyed The Forever War WildCard - Fantastic novel, the use of time dilation and the change/evolution of humans and their culture was awesome. Glad to know someone else enjoyed it! Put's me off time travel a fair bit, couldn't help but feel sorry for William Mandella towards the end!

Just finished the first book in The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell - epic sci-fi space opera with some great descriptions of big fleet combat, would definitely recommend to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users