• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Last and current book you are reading

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Shiftless

Shiftless

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

William Gibson's 'Bridge' trilogy.  Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.  Dystopian future, politics of culture, good sci-fi read.  Lots of action and an acceleration curve I rarely find in books these days.  Also finished off all of the 'Odd Thomas' books by Koontz.

#42 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

Well, I'm back on the history books as I'm currently quite busy writing 4 home exams. But before that I read "Champions League Dreams" by Rafael Benitez. The book follows Rafa and Liverpool, the football team he was managing at the time, on their road to the Champions League finals. Quite an interesting read, a good insight into the thought process of a world class football manager.

#43 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

@Shiverin "The Langoliers"...totally epic!

#44 Shiverin

Shiverin

• 15 posts
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

@Shiverin "The Langoliers"...totally epic!

Oh yea!

The Cosmos is filled with tons of unanswered questions, I have but one, are you friend or foe?

#45 Sanya

Sanya

• 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Roadside Picnic, Childhood's End - I love old Sci-fi, today's stuff doesnt appeal to me at all.

No time to read a new book atm :P

#46 syralak

syralak

• 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

last book Cinder by marissa meyer

Not my usual pick of books but i read so often and quickly that my wife left it out and i had already read the stack of others she brought home for me . book was set to the theam of cinderellla with some sifi added in. 

current book scarlet by marissa meyer 

continuation of last book only add red riding hood and wolf storyline. 

last 3 books before this was the assassins apprentice  series by robin hobb and that was just this month. 

#47 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Just finished "The Forever War" (Peace and War Edition) by Joe Haldeman in 1974

Mind blowing....If I try to explain it in great detail my head will explode...

Two species Man and an alien race wage war against each other, but the soldiers sent to fight are sent light years from home, due to "time dilation" the soldiers experience life in local time even though centuries have passed on Earth, their technology is updated regularly even though it may have taken decades in Earth time to research, as they return Earth has changed and they re-enlist to serve far away numerous times, as they do not fit into society, as centuries pass on Earth they barely age, till mankind becomes a type of cloned hive mentality collective..

I wont reveal how it ends, but suffice to say..."I didn't see that coming"....

It has all the hallmark's of Robert Heinlen's brutality depicted in "Starship Troopers" and interesting takes on the evolution of society. Only after reading it, I discovered Ridley Scott has waited 25 years for the rights to the story and has someone drafting a screenplay......EPIC

Also looking forward to "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Haven't heard about this book before but it sounds very interesting and I'm definitely going to try getting it when I have a chance.

I picked up a bunch of new books while traveling and need to go through those. A lot of scifi and some fantasy. Most i had never even heard of but they seemed interesting and we cheap (50 cents or so each) and some of them we basically brand new. Someone had just dumped them to a thrift store and since they are in English no one here really buys them. Lucky me who solely reads everything in English.

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#48 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Just finished "The Forever War" (Peace and War Edition) by Joe Haldeman in 1974

Mind blowing....If I try to explain it in great detail my head will explode...

Two species Man and an alien race wage war against each other, but the soldiers sent to fight are sent light years from home, due to "time dilation" the soldiers experience life in local time even though centuries have passed on Earth, their technology is updated regularly even though it may have taken decades in Earth time to research, as they return Earth has changed and they re-enlist to serve far away numerous times, as they do not fit into society, as centuries pass on Earth they barely age, till mankind becomes a type of cloned hive mentality collective..

I wont reveal how it ends, but suffice to say..."I didn't see that coming"....

It has all the hallmark's of Robert Heinlen's brutality depicted in "Starship Troopers" and interesting takes on the evolution of society. Only after reading it, I discovered Ridley Scott has waited 25 years for the rights to the story and has someone drafting a screenplay......EPIC

Also looking forward to "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Man that sounds insane. I'm going to have to pick that up. There are a few books that deal with stories centered around the time dilation thing including the Ender's Game sequels.

Any of you guys that have been deployed before know kind of what that's like. Being somewhere like Iraq for 2 years with barely any influence from more advanced countries and then you go home and stuff is way different. Even just in two years it's weird. I can't even imagine something like centuries passing... Just crazy.

#49 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

@Spacepope, wonder when the movie will be released...

@Wes, seriously good read, and yeah I spend two-thirds of my year away every time I come home something is different that no one seems to notice.

Currently reading "The Saga of the Seven Sun's" series, by Kevin J Anderson, just about to start book four. Very impressive, space soap opera feel and enjoying it immensely.

Actually starting book four now....while I wait for Star Citizen to patch....

#50 FNGUS

FNGUS

• 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

Lee Child's Personal and reading Andy MCNab autobiography

#51 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

I just finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy today. 

#52 FNGUS

FNGUS

• 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

reading warhammer novel - end of time : the rise of nagash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users