• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Liquid Cooling

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

In my new build, I plan on doing Liquid Cooling but I have yet to tinker with it.  Does anybody have any in depth experience with CPU and GPU cooling?

I am still a ways out on this build,  but wanna start researching now so i can figure out what would be the best system.

THanks

#2 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I've never used it but in my experience, air cooling works find unless you really wanted to push it on overclocking.

#3 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

are you wanting to do closed loop cooling or a custom loop cooling?

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#4 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

I'm running a Corsair H100i and I love it.   Unless you're running some sort of crazy super-cooled system, I think the days of needing an intricate pump system are behind us (thank god).    This simple cooling unit keeps my cpu cool and is whisper quiet.    I haven't messed with GPU cooling since I've not seen the need, but I know they're starting to come out with integrated cooling blocks on factory-shipped models now.

#5 Soviman

Soviman

• 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

I would advise against liquid cooling unless you

a) have a heavily overclocked system

b ) have a tower with horrid aerodynamics

c) are deadset on it because you want to try it or it would make your tower look cool.

I have built 4 computers with non overclocked parts and have never needed to use liquid cooling as they had towers that properly routed the air.

#6 siralexlaw

siralexlaw

Advanced Member

• 48 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Unless you spend good money on a radiator tower and are doing extensive overclocking watercooling only has 1 benefit.

less sound in the room (keep in mind i wearing noise cancelling headphones, my tower is ear height less than a foot away and I can't hear a thing)

It's a great side project in order to understand loops and how to setup a system for watercooling however ultimately it isn't worth the cost unless is a hobby thing. I've built 1 watercooled system in my time and it worked flawlessly. I overclocked by about a half ghz and it maintained a temperature i could have obtained through air cooling. Overall build time was about 2 hours and included a small tank reservoir on the bottom of the case. Ran for 2 years without any kind of buildup in the pipes.

*edited to ensure sanity*

#7 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Unless you spend good money on a radiator tower and are doing extensive overclocking watercooling only has 2 benefits.

1) less sound in the room (keep in mind i wearing noise cancelling headphones, my tower is ear height less than a foot away and I can't hear a thing)

2) I guess there is only one.

You're breaking my brain here. Perk #2 could be that there is only 1 perk. But if there is a 2nd perk, perk 2 no longer applies. Stahp.

#8 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for your opinions on the matter however i was looking for information from somebody with in depth knowledge on the subject.  Folks who are experienced in putting a system together, what parts are out there, which parts are good,  which types of setups are good,  what radiators are good, what brands provide better performance  etc.

Thanks

#9 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Nahku,   Yea i had heard that some vid cards are coming with blocks already on them.

Daedalus, I am looking for the best way to possibly cool a 2-3 vid card system and cpu and possibly ram as well,  So IF i could do that with multiple closed loop setups or a custom loop is what im after.

Of course i would also need to know the best liquid cooling friendly cases as well.

#10 Soulztealer

Soulztealer

Advanced Member

• 95 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hey Sqirl here is a good help guide to Liquid cooling on Tom's that I found very useful and has great info.

http://www.tomshardw...ur-pc,1573.html

Another site that has great info and parts if you want all one brand Koolance is a good one.

http://koolance.com/

Here is the best site I have found for parts.

http://www.frozencpu...id_Cooling.html

b_560x95.png

#11 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:20 AM

sqirl next time we are on skype we can talk about it. i would not say i am a pro, but i have build a few systems with custom loops in them so ya... lol

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#12 digitalFatteh

digitalFatteh

• 11 posts
  • LocationQuebec, CANADA Eh !

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

I had a look at this last month when I thought about swapping out cases.  one site I came across here in Canada was https://www.dazmode.com/store/ .

The fella on the site also has some pretty in depth videos up on youtube if you care to take a look.

Eternals I hear your call gladly, Dictate swift winged words. & fear not, To unfold your dark visions of torment.

Steam: digitalFatteh  |  EA/Origin: digitalFatteh  |  UPlay: digitalFatteh  |  Blizzard: Fatteh#2560 | PS4: digitalFatteh

#13 Erivel

Erivel

Advanced Member

• 104 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Liquid cooling is ridiculously expensive and labor-intensive (not to mention finicky!) for the system you described.  You'd need a custom loop system for the computer you described.  The GPU waterblocks alone can run around $100 USD.  Plus your build would have to be planned to the last detail, from the ground up.  I recommend this guide: http://choosemypc.net/wcguide/ 

Good luck!

#14 Erukul

Erukul

• 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

I'm running a Corsair H100i and I love it.   Unless you're running some sort of crazy super-cooled system, I think the days of needing an intricate pump system are behind us (thank god).    This simple cooling unit keeps my cpu cool and is whisper quiet.    I haven't messed with GPU cooling since I've not seen the need, but I know they're starting to come out with integrated cooling blocks on factory-shipped models now.

Agree.

Just built a new system using the h100i on my i7 4770k(@4.5), my old one had h60(on a OC i5 2500k@4.4).

My MB sensors stay around 23C with a GTX 780 etc throwing off heat at full load, but I have an Antec 1200, so its well ventilated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users