• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Streaming 101 (w/OBS on Twitch.tv) PHASE 1: OBS Basics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

**With as much research as I had to do to get rolling, I figured some might find it helpful if I shared all my knowledge to get our up and coming streamers a bit of a boost.

**I will try to go in order of importance of installs but as for settings, well, my mind doesn't work that way so no idea what order that will come out in HAHA.

**This will be a work in progress, and ever changing, so if you have suggestions for specific things to add or something i missed, message me and I will try to get it updated asap.

Step 1: Check pre-existing problems

Before choosing to use OBS check to see if you have any hardware devices on the known issue/conflict list.

post-1015-0-64512600-1390246610.jpg

Step 2: Download OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Stable build 0.592 Beta (as of this posting)

Go to Obsproject.com and click the download button.

post-1015-0-20749500-1390246646.jpg

The file download comes from the source forge so the next screen should look like this... once the download is finished, ensure you have the proper version installer (0.592b as of this posting) as this will effect how well the plugins function within OBS.

post-1015-0-72946600-1390241164.jpg

Step 3: Find your OBS install folder

Once OBS is installed it is important to note that the software has actually installed in TWO separate locations. The 32bit version has installed in "..\Program Files (x86)\OBS" and the 64bit version is in "..\Program Files\OBS"

**NOTICE THE 64bit VERSION IS KNOWN TO CRASH ON EXIT**

If this does not bother you feel free to use it but I primarily use the 32bit version and so the plugins mentioned here will be based on the 32bit system.

post-1015-0-66253300-1390242525.jpg

Also note, the shortcut to launch OBS that you see immediately after install defaults to the 32bit version.

Step 4: Get Plugins

Now there are a veritable plethora of open source (user created) plugins for OBS, some work better then others, so I will only be posting about the ones I KNOW functions as advertised.

Plugin #1 Direct Show Audio Source Plugin. This plugin gives you the ability to capture any sound source coming from your computer (i.e. skype/music player/YouTube etc whatever you hear, viewers can hear)

In the OBS forum you can find the DShowPlugin (download the 32bit version)

post-1015-0-74510000-1390243744.jpg

When finished downloading, EXTRACT to its own folder.

Plugin #2 ( a ) CLR Browser Plugin, this one is for those of you who (like me) want to run .SWF files to get animated assets onto your stream, it allows for the rendering of these moving objects.

You will want the 32bit version (it is a 7zip file format)

post-1015-0-43676800-1390244181.jpg

**NOTE: TO GET THIS TO WORK PROPERLY YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE CLR HOST PLUGIN**

Plugin #2 ( b ) To get the host plugin you simply need to download it from the same site, different location. Click the Download Latest Version, then on the page that loads, select the 32bit version. 

post-1015-0-84645500-1390245620.jpg

Step 5: Install plugins

To Install the plugins, it is as simple as Drag and Drop, but you must be aware of which folder to put everything into.

First, open your OBS install location folder, then locate and open the plugins folder...

post-1015-0-58306700-1390246785.jpg

...then open the folders you extracted your plugins to earlier...

For the Direct Show Audio Source Plugin, and the CLR Host Plugin, simply drag and drop the folder AND .DLL into the main plugins folder as such...

post-1015-0-00798600-1390247224.jpg

For the CLR Browser Plugin, you must open the CLR Host folder and place the folder AND .DLL there...

post-1015-0-35542700-1390247324.jpg

Then, back out to main OBS folder and launch OBS.exe. Once open click the settings button on the bottom control panel. There are several settings you will need to change BEFORE you can begin streaming.

First: Under "Broadcast Settings" you will need you stream key, you can obtain this by going to your Twitch.tv dashboard and clicking "Stream Key" and then "Show Key" and copy the LONG string of letters and numbers, this will be what you paste into the "Play Path/Stream Key (if any)" box, be sure the "Auto-Reconnect" box is checked. Click Apply.

**NOTE YOU WILL SEE THE ANGRY RED TEXT WHERE I LABELED WHEN YOU FIRST SET THIS**

Second: Under "Advanced" Be sure to set the "x264 Encoding Profile:" to "main", and the "Keyframe Interval" to "2". Click Apply and OK.

post-1015-0-59566800-1390248175.jpg

Step 6: Final Setup Test

Now you are ready to test your settings, click the "Preview Stream" button and you should get something like below ( without the graphics of course :P )

A. Notification area (the cannot find window is normal when you have a game source, but no game is open, OR the game you have open is not what was last set as the target for you game source, changing the properties of the source in 'C' area will fix this.

B. Scenes, this is good to use if you have static scenes you want to flip through (like Wes has the main 'Idle' scene or layout, and then a separate 'Game' scene for the in-game layout) You can create as many as you like here.

C. Sources, This is where you will Right-Click and select ADD to add in different sources such as TEXT (static or from file), GAME, IMAGE, etc. Once loaded, be sure they are in proper layered order, stack from top-to-bottom and the top is the closest to the viewer. Also, you can check and uncheck the boxes here to show or hide whatever elements you want to use or not.

D. Microphone Audio, Here you can see if the system is picking up your mic, what level it is functioning at, change the volume by clicking on the red level bars, and even mute/unmute by clicking on the picture of the microphone. If nothing is being heard (green level bar not moving) open the settings menu and make sure your microphone is listed and selected in the audio section under "Microphone/Auxilary Audio Device" drop down.

E. Desktop Audio, This is where you can see if your desktop audio is being picked up (green bar moving), and adjust the outgoing level for audio (other than games) that the system is braodcasting such as music player, etc. Functions similar to the mic.

F. Time Broadcasting, Simply shows you how long you have been broadcasting uninterrupted, this session.

G. Dropped Frames, The number of frames dropped during the broadcast followed by the percentage of your total frame count that the dropped frames entails.

H. FPS and Connection speed, so long as the box stays green you are good to go, if you are changing colors or hanging in the red, there are bigger issues you should look into.

post-1015-0-42078300-1390249513.jpg

**As of this point I have exceeded my 500k allotment for pictures so for those of you who are going to be using CLR Browser plugin for .SWF files and what-not I will try to walk you through**

**CLR Browser Plugin**

Important settings change: Click the 'settings' button to open the settings dialogue box, then under 'Browser' select the 'Runtime' tab, Scroll to the top, under the second heading 'Core' be sure to set the 'SingleProcess' to 'True', then click 'apply' and 'OK', Then EXIT and restart OBS.

To Insert SWF: Right-Click, Add, CLR Browser, Name it, Click 'OK', click the little '?' button on the right, choose your .SWF, set width and height to whatever the image is naturally, set whatever opacity you want, Check the 'Intercept request and apply template' (must be checked for SWF files to appear), Then click 'OK'.

**NOTE IF THE SWF DOES NOT SHOW OR IS NOT MOVING THEN THE SETTINGS CHANGES OR INTERCEPT CHECKBOX ARE CAUSING THE ERROR 99% OF THE TIME**

Attached Files

#2 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

Awesome, look forward to seeing this. 

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#3 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

First Update Done! This should cover the vast majority of early setup steps, PHASE 2 will involve the actual setting up and playing with the plugins inside of OBS. :)

**EDIT**

I forgot to mention that the SWF files also will NOT display or play properly without the standalone (non browser) flash player installed, you should see this file present, if not, go to adobe and download the non browser flash player for your system...

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF64_12_0_0_43.dll

Note: The 'NPSWF' should be universal the rest is OS and player specific (64bit etc.)

bFTrka7.jpg

#4 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• 80 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

This was an amazing guide thank you very very much. I don't think you could have made this a more user friendly walk through.

Only question is what are .SWF they use flash so are they animation on the stream. like if I wanted a pop-tart cat flying at the bottom of my stream would I use a .SWF?

And God said:

"Let there be Airborne!" Saint Michael snapped to attention, and the heavens let out with a loud and thunderous ALL THE WAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users