• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Streaming 101 PHASE 2: Intermediate OBS + Twitch Settings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hello All In Phase 2 I will be going over several overlooked twitch.tv settings and some more in depth looks at OBS plugin usage...

**For the OBS plugins, leave a comment on what on-stream actions you would like to see and I will add it in**

**PHASE 3 will be using 3rd party programs with OBS to enhance your broadcasting environment**

One of the most overlooked tools on twitch.tv is the connections settings. With the YouTube connections set, highlighting and uploading videos from twitch to YouTube becomes almost effortless, the only stress you will have now is the problem of what to upload HAHA.

The other setting is the Twitter connection. With this set up, all you need to do is set your broadcast title and then go live! The connections setting will automatically send out a tweet with the title you set along with the link to your twitch channel.

Here you can also view and manage what third part applications you have allowed access to your twitch channel.

xfGLkv7.jpg

I have compiled a list of almost all Twitch.tv settings and options, if you would like the complete list, or need info for one setting in particular, let me know and I will upload it.

**THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN IN PHASE 3 BUT I FEEL THE OVERLAY IS DESIRED ENOUGH I BUMPED IT UP THE LIST**

Another great tool to make a broadcaster's life easier is the Better Twitch TV extension for chrome. Not only will it save your eyes from staring at a white screen all day but it allows you easy chat overlay options in OBS through the use of window capture and color key.

AuTseeL.jpg

Some examples:

Your Twitch.tv Dashboard

jbvO8mL.jpg

Your Twitch.tv Dashboard with BTTV

Qo9YnA6.jpg

Simple Chat Setup

With this setup, it is a simple matter to place a window capture in OBS and adjust the screen region to show only the chat, then color key out the background and *poof* you have chat overlay to place wherever you want in your stream.

Step 1. Right-Click -> Add -> Window Capture

M2g8RI1.jpg

Step 2. Name your source.

UiSWV2h.jpg

Step 3. Settings

1. Choose the window you are using for your chat (can be from dashboard OR your own channel OR the dashboard chat popout).

2. Check the use Sub-Region box.

3. Click Select Region and a white box will show up over the window you have chosen in step 1.

4. Re-size the region box so that only the chat itself is highlighted and hit enter.

5. Check the Use Color Key box, then click Select and click on the background of your chat to set the background transparent. Then click OK.

Zs0LX0D.jpg

Step 4. Ensure your chat source is highlighted and Click the Edit Scene button. A red box will appear around the chat source and you can re-position and re-size the source as needed.

Yqus35v.jpg

En-progress...

#2 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

The first update on Phase 2 is up, I felt this one was important enough to rush. If there is anything else that you feel should be put up ASAP, don't hesitate to let me know! :)

#3 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

Great job Solyd, thanks for doing these!

#4 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank you pyso_  o/   :)

#5 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for these! The chat overlay is especially useful. Are you going to cover New Follower/Sub/Donation popups in the next one? Pretty please? :)

#6 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

That is an awesome question!  I do have a third party program I am using, but I am also developing an entirely new one (hence the not streaming or sleeping much lately  :lol: ). If I do not get my program functional within a reasonable time I will upload info for the other program next  ;)

#7 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

nice man, I will be using this when I add the chat to my casts, for sure

#8 andsim

andsim

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

i think i setup my overlay abit too much but again that depend perference on streamer... i like obs, i just wish it have flash can be add to it

#9 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

It can!  the browser plugin I mention at the end of phase 1 actually runs flash SWF files for your obs broadcast overlay, and I am currently working on a program to run a flash panel on its own for notification overlays.  If you would like a more detailed overview of the browser plugin let me know and ill get one set up :)

**EDIT**

Unfortunately due to the HTML wrapper for the browser plugin, actionScript cannot be run reliably from within the plugin itself...YET... only animations will functions well as it sits.

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I would definitely be interested in what you're working on :)

#11 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

I will love you long long time! Meoar!
I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users