• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Comic Books!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Let's see, I'm a long time Marvel reader, a friend got me into some DC with Identity Crisis.  I've read Fables and enjoyed, beyond that I know nothing of independent titles.

For Marvel, X-Men guru.  Currently reading Uncanny X-Men (UXM) starting back in 1963.  Currently on issue #34

Growing up, my mother worked at a grocery store, and brought home a 12 pack of comics, X-Men/x-titles and it was all one big storyline.  I had already been watching the Fox cartoon, so I was instantly hooked.  Before that, I saw Pryde of the X-Men (you can find on YT) which was the 80's attempt of an X-Men cartoon that didn't catch on.  I saw this when visiting family in FL when I was maybe 4-6 yrs old.  Didn't even know X-Men was a thing til later when X-Men returned to TV on Fox in a new form.

What do/did you read?  Fave characters, stories,etc?

#2 SolydStayte

SolydStayte

• 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

One of my favorite topics!

Although I should probably not be posting in this seeing as it is under "the written word" due to the fact that the vast majority of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of comic books I own, were purchased because of the Penciler, Inker, or Colorist, OR for art reference. So there are only a handful I can actually speak toward the script/storyline about, and those are mostly Image/Cliffhanger, the golden/silver age marvel (with a handful of newer), original Darkhorse, and only the pre- "Zero Hour" DC titles  :lol:

#3 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Oh art is certainly a large part of it.  Infact UXM having Kia Asamya (sp?) doing it about 10 yrs back is what finally got me to give up collecting.  Seeing UXM in manga art killed me.  Nothing against the style, just doesn't belong in that title, in my snobbish opinion ;)

#4 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Never really been a big comic book reader. Growing up in the UK, we didn't have the local comic book store that is/was common over here. Also, most of the comics common here weren't even available in the uk, we had 2000AD (judge dredd, etc). I remember when we'd come over here for family vacation I was always envious of all the cool comics you guys had. 

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#5 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Oh!  Psylocke (an X-Man) first appeared in a UK comic.  I need to find the issue title and # and see if any UK contacts can help find :)

#6 Darque

Darque

• 9 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Oh my gosh! I absolutely LOVE comics and have been collecting them since I was a child. Not a fan of DC/Marvel and superhero type comics. Mostly like the darker / horror genre.

My all time favorite publisher was Chaos! Comics and I'm proud to say I have every single comic they ever released before they filed for bankruptcy in 2002; Lady Death, Evil Ernie, Purgatori, Chastity, Lady Demon, Cremator, Bedlam Jade, Bad Kitty, EVERYTHING! Trading cards, magazine clippings, pogs, even the toy figures whom are still to this day in they're original packaging  :D

Also like Witchblade, The Darkness, Spawn, Dawn, DarkChylde, The Crow to name a few.

Some of my other all time favourites are The Sandman and Death. Neil Gaiman is  :wub:

#7 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

I am brand new to reading comics as of about 3 months ago. I've always loved comic book heroes and grew believing Superman was the epitome of good. The Cristopher Reeves movies are my favorite iteration of Superman. I also grew up watching the Adam West Batman and I LOVED the Spiderman tv show that was on back when I was a kid. Another one of my favorites most people don't remember was The Greatest American Hero. It was a tv show about a haphazzard super hero and I was in love with it lol. I also watched all the cartoons growing up and stuff. X-men was my favorite super hero cartoon. I think I was in love with Rogue.

I never really gave comics a chance because I'm a hardcore book reader and have been since I was 4 years old believe it or not. I always thought comics were boring because they didn't have enough words to get me by but recently I gave them a real chance.

I ended up quite enjoying a few so far.

Currently reading:

• Hellblazer - Constantine. The writing in this is amazing. Hooked within 2 or 3 pages.
  • Saga - Space opera of a different kind. Extremely awesome. There are at least 2 trade paperbacks out for this one right now.
  • Jupiter's Legacy
  • The Wake - This one I can't explain. You just need to check it out :D
  • Locke and Key (Stephen King's son. Cthulhu stuff)
  • East vs. West - A love story of sorts involving Death himself.

There are a couple more that I have but I haven't started reading yet. I'm mostly buying trade paperbacks but The Wake is new and only about 4 issues out so far. It's VERY cool and the art is nice. My favorite out of all of those so far has to be Saga. Brian K. Vaughn's writing is pretty interesting to me and I love the space opera theme.

#8 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Haven't really ever gotten into comics much, when I was younger I read through most of my dad's old Alan Ford comics but that's it, I always preferred books more. I remember he had a crate full of them, hundreds of them probably. In last few years I only read the Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim, recently started reading Fables because Wolf Among Us was awesome. Tried reading The Walking Dead but for some reason got bored quickly.

So I guess I'm just a mainstream/casual comic book reader? I find them hard to read on my PC and just can't justify ordering them online so there's that.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#9 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Darque, I have a copy of Spawn #1 that means nothing to me if any interest (or anyone).  Not trying to sell really, willing to work out some kind of trade ofc.

@Wes completely understandable, since the 90s they've gotten less and less wordy/content imo.  If ever you have the chance, try some 60's/70's X-Men (or any marvel I suspect) and anything by Chris Claremont (sp?) that sucker filled comics with words to the point alot of other folks whine haha.

@Kaldo I've really enjoyed Fables, even got my gf hooked on them, need to catch up on it though.  I want a tablet some day so I can read my Marvel Digital Subscription on it instead of PC.

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

The Constantine comic I'm reading, Hellblazer Original Sins, is from 1988 and it's extremely wordy. Love it. It's got the old-school artwork too.

#11 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm currently reading the Court of Owls storyline in the DC New 52 comics. 

#12 Askanison40

Askanison40

• 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ USA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

I LOVE this community. I read wayyy too many comic books to post them here. I've bee collecting since I was ten years old. I went completely digital in late 2012. I have no favorite between the big two. I love Marvel & DC equally. Truth be told - IDW &Top Cow are my favorite publishers.  How cool would it be to have a Star Citizen Comic Book series?

9wOJHDi.jpg

Lo, There Do I See My Father. Lo, There Do I See My Mother,

And My Sisters, And My Brothers. Lo, There Do I See The Line Of My People, Back To The Beginning!

Lo, There Do They Call Me. They Bid Me Take My Place Among Them, In The Halls Of Eternity! Where The Brave Live Forever!

What We Do In Life... Echoes In Eternity

#13 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

I fully expect to see a quality Star Citizen comic at some point. There's so much interest in writing fiction for this game world already even directly from the dev team. I bet it will be a thing.

#14 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Just now hitting the Tampa/Orlando area, this is the first time since I was a kid in Indy I've had access to major shops.  Look forward to collecting some first apps in the future via digging thru boxes :)

#15 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hellblazer ("Son of Man" at the moment)

Hack / Slash

Walking Dead

Batman Graphic novels (When he was a violent psychopath)

Hellboy Graphic novels

BRPD (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense)

#16 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Having caught up on Fear Itself and Avengers vs X-Men, am no reading thru Uncanny Avengers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users