• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is the new game in Tolkein's iconic fantasy world. There is currently no release date, but we know that it will be released on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

In the game, players will control a ranger with Wraith-like abilities by the name of Talion. The game is an open world video game and players will have the freedom to pursue side quests and roam around the world. From watching the video above, it looks like a cross between Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham games. The jumping and climbing animations reminded me of Assassin's Creed right away, and the "Wraith-like" mode reminded me of the Detective mode from the Arkham series.

The game itself takes place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books. The family of ranger Talion is killed by Sauron's armies, and he himself is also killed, but soon revived with "wraith-like abilities" and heads to Mordor to exact revenge. Mordor is not yet a barren wasteland in this story.

The story involves the Rings of Power, but is separate from The Lord of the Rings canon. However, WB maintains that the stories will align. The player will encounter Gollum in the game, discovering that Talion and Gollum have a lot in common.

#2 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I only watched this gameplay video but I think this game really doesn't fit in LOTR setting. That being said, the gameplay mechanics really look interesting but I'm worried just how many of these events are scripted and what is actually dynamically created through previous encounters. Combat also looks like it suffers from the same problem AC had - you can counterattack pretty much anything, removing most danger and difficulty from combat. 

Btw those ropes between buildings look identical to their counterparts in AC2 and 3, except they don't fit nearly as well in Mordor as they did in Venice :)

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#3 Kremmel

Kremmel

• 19 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I do agree this seems out of place for LOTR. It sounds like WB didn't want to take a risk on a new IP but they had some ideas that wanted to use, so they shoved it into LOTR hoping the name would sell more copies. It will be fun to see what comes of the accusation that they stole AC2 assets. http://www.vg247.com...ex-ubi-staffer/

The game does look like it has potential though, I am looking forward to seeing some reviews. Hopefully they have figured out a way to make the boring combat in AC more interesting.

Freelancer Kremmel

#4 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

The combat looks more like Batman than Assassins Creed, which makes sense coming from WB. Not sure about this one though, looks average so far. Be interesting to see how this progresses in the coming months.

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users