• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Anyone Else not really Interested in this Console Gen Yet?

Xbox One Playstation 4

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Desertfox2403

Desertfox2403

• 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

In previous years I have seen gigantic outpourings of support for new gaming consoles. This time around with the Xbox, PS4, and Wii U, I felt more like waiting it out and staying on PC over anything else. Sure there are plenty of amazing new features on all 3 of this generation’s progeny, but I just cannot help but feel a sense of malaise about it all.  A lot of people I have spoken with have also joined in the general “Meh” feeling.  What are your thoughts? Is there a console out there that interests you? I am not asking which one is best but just for your views on this!  Thanks everyone!

Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.

~Searching always for the Glorious Space Apple

#2 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't say that I'm not interested. I think a lot of people are simply waiting for the time that buying one feels reasonable. The launch games for this generation of consoles were pretty sub-par. Pretty much every game that was worth playing at launch were pushed back months from their initial dates. Combine this with the fact that most games are still being released on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 for at least 4-5 months after the initial new console launch and you got people willing to wait it out a bit.

I feel a lot of people are waiting for the fixes as well. Both Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles were plagued with issues at their launch. No matter how much testing goes into a console pre-launch, the big issues come to light after the first few months post-launch. I'm pretty sure everyone remembers the RROD for the Xbox 360 with a lot of their launch consoles. Some people don't want to go through that experience again with this generation so are reluctant to buy right away.

For me, the new generation of consoles are cool, but they really only feel like hardware upgrades over the generation before. While the media stuff they've added and voice recognition software is impressive, it's not something I care about too much. Combine that with the fact that most games now release on PC/Mac and you have less of a reason to purchase them. I probably played around 10 games on my Xbox 360? 10 games over 8 years of having it. And the only reason I played them on the Xbox 360 was because they were exclusive games or not available on PC at the time.

In the end, I'll probably end up buying at least one of the newer consoles. Which one I have yet to decide, but there will be a few things that determine my final choice. Things like exclusives, price, known issues, and if I just want to stick with what I already know.

#3 milksgonebadd

milksgonebadd

Advanced Member

• 117 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

At first I was REALLY excited to buy next gen just to play Destiny. But ever sense I found out about SC, I really don't give a care about next gen. I don't know why or how, but one game really made me turn a 180 on consoles, plus alot of games still come out on pc anyway 

#4 YsFanatic

YsFanatic

• 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm sure I'll get 1 or more of the consoles eventually, but like the current gen it'll be over the course of several years.  And even if I had the money I wouldn't start until there was a decent number of games I wanted for it.

#5 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

At first I was REALLY excited to buy next gen just to play Destiny. But ever sense I found out about SC, I really don't give a care about next gen. I don't know why or how, but one game really made me turn a 180 on consoles, plus alot of games still come out on pc anyway 

I am in this boat as well though I never really did get huge into consoles in the first place. What has always been the most fun with gaming for me has been playing a game and then playing with modding it. The modding scene for console stuff is practically non exsistant. Take games like skyrim for example, after playing all the PC mods for that game if the only way I could play it was un modded on a console it just wouldnt be worth it. None of my friends or really anyone I can think of was really all that excited about any of the next gen consoles this time around.

It is a mix of serveral things. The control over the game you can have with modding on a PC. The fact that the specs for the next gen consoles that just came out just barely match up with my 2 year old PC. Plus the stuff in works currently with both SC and also occulus rift it just feels like the gaming swing for a lot of people is moving back to PC.

I don't dislike consoles, I have an xbox 360. They are better than PC games when it comes to a situation where if you play games with your roomate or friends all the time. The ease of multi person same tv shared gaming is where consoles shine most. I am playing more games by myself currently so for that senario for me PC wins.

#6 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

I feel the same as ecator. Mods add so much value to PC games, you can't even compare it to the console version. Just look at Just Cause 2 (and hundreds of other games of course). 

It makes me cry a little on the inside every time a PC game is locked down and can't be modded at all. :( Usually it's the console ports.

#7 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm interested, but I never buy the first generation of a new console. I think PC is the superior platform for those who can afford it, but I like having a console to play games when my friends come over etc!

#8 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'm also interested, but waiting for them to mature. Games are a big problem right now - not many I'm interested in on any of the new consoles. I'm going to probably buy the last 2 games I'm interested in on current-gen (Metal Gear Solid V and Titanfall on XBox 360). Depending on exclusives, I will probably end up with a PS4 someday.

#9 Desertfox2403

Desertfox2403

• 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I would tend to agree here. There were just not enough release titles to warrent a new system. All available monitary funds regretfully got sucked up in the days before LTI ran out for Star Citizen... Oh how my bank accounts grumbled... That and I do not have much interest in shelling out 300 or 400 usd for a new system when I can wait a bit for it to come down.

Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.

~Searching always for the Glorious Space Apple

#10 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

I feel like the only reason someone would buy a console is because of exclusives. PC gaming seems cheaper in the long run and I'd always rather upgrade my PC than buy a console because I use my PC for lots of other stuff besides gaming.

I don't know if I'm right about this one but I also think the only reason consoles are being pushed out so hard is because of PC piracy, and the loss companies think they have because of ease of obtaining pirated copies. While this might be true, I think they lose much more by limiting themselves to just console market, and the games suffer because of it too because they restrict them to console hardware architecture. Also, modding! Games like Skyrim would be a lost cause without mods!

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#11 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I preordered a release day PS4 for a couple of reasons. I do like Playstation exclusives quite a bit. I've never liked Xbox. I'm a streamer so having it helps me get on popular games sometimes when they're console only. I did a LONG stream the day the Playstation dropped to show people the system. I'm lazy about putting together a media box for my living room television so I use a Playstation as my media center :D

#12 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm personally not in any real hurry to get a next gen console.  While "new and shiny" is really tempting, I need to look at my current usage stats on my 360, and it reminds me that it's pretty much just a glorified Netflix machine right now.   I do waaaay more PC gaming than any console stuff.   That said, if/when they start allowing PS3 games on the PS4 (via "remastered" digital download or whatever), I'll probably pick one up so I can play some of the last-gen exclusives like The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls.  Until then I just can't justify the cost.

#13 okiraan

okiraan

• 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

I'll probably eventually get one of the new consoles (most likely a PS4--cheaper, faster, no kinect, plus I have Vita), but not for 2-3 years into their life cycles. Until then if I must console (verb-a-fied!) my 360'll do. Plus, there are so many last gen systems out there that they'll be making games that run on those systems for years.

#14 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Yep, I'm completely uninterested in the current and previous gen consoles. Not receiving The Last Guardian, was rather disappointing indeed.
Although I own the PS3, I never* play anything on it, as everything I've tried, feels just like a simplified PC game. :-P
(*except Demon's Souls)
But...
I enjoyed a bunch of Awesome! games back on THE Original PlayStation, as well as the SNES and the NES. Those were the days!
I enjoyed.... exactly five games on the PS2 - GTA3, FF10, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ico.

Today, console is dead. (But others would disagree!)

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#15 elvismiggell

elvismiggell

Advanced Member

• 42 posts
  • LocationLingfield, UK

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

I'm sort of interested.  But for the last couple of years I've very much been on a PC binge.  (Prior to that I was on Xbox with friends there.)  Now the Xbox is basically a Netflix machine.

I expect we'll end up picking at something in due time, but for the moment, there are other priorities for me to spend money on and the PC I built last year is better that an Xbone or PS4.

#16 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Anyone Else not really Interested in this Console Gen Yet?

Maybe when they give us something to be interested in.

#17 Patmelad

Patmelad

• 16 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

I own them both and honestly there really isnt any major games I want to play. Ive played Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and BF 4 on the Xbox One thus far. They look amazing but nothing really ground breaking.

#18 Erivel

Erivel

Advanced Member

• 104 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

This generation is a POS.  The ONLY reason to buy them is for the exclusives.  Honestly, the PC is much better for gaming.  

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace.

Hail GabeN.

#19 Wordian

Wordian

• 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Sadly for me consoles is too limited for my needs and I do not want another piece of equipment just to game on. The PC does it for me plus a lot more. I do not care for exclusives no matter what.

#20 LOOPYDOG

LOOPYDOG

Advanced Member

• 135 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'll get one when I'm done play star citizen, 7-10 years from now. I think by then it well be called PlayBox 2.2. That's only if star citizen 2 does not come out.
So it's a big NO form me. Right now i would burn my 360 if I had my way, wife uses it for dance games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users