• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Maintaining a Constant Stream Schedule...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gimpxtreme

Gimpxtreme

• 3 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

I love to stream and try to do it a few times a week, but the fact of working a job where my schedule constantly changes,along with preparing to buy a house and spending some time with my wife seems to get in the way. I know some of you out there are able to stream some sort of schedule with the jobs you have or school, just wondering if there are others out there like myself who have a hard time keeping a schedule with a full plate outside of the stream as well. I would love to hear what you have to say as well.

#2 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

If you don't have a constant schedule in the rest of your life, you're going to find it hard to set in stone a schedule for something relatively unimportant and justify blowing other things off for it. My 2 cents.

#3 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• 80 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

If you have the time, listen to this episode of Professor Blastoff a science/ comedy podcast. The guest is a manager of many famous comedians including Louie C.K. and Dane Cook. he has a good bit in it about consistency and how many people who become successful in their passion start with consistency. Its not always time spent but its persona and content as well.

Take a listen its an amazing show and might help you find a way to find consistency in some form. http://www.earwolf.c.../show-business/

Good luck with everything.

And God said:

"Let there be Airborne!" Saint Michael snapped to attention, and the heavens let out with a loud and thunderous ALL THE WAY!

#4 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

I'm in a very similar boat with the new position I took at my job about four/five months ago. Prior to that I could stream on a pretty consistent basis because my job was mainly 7-3:30 Monday-Friday. I knew I was going to be available pretty much any night of the week so I was able to plan a streaming schedule around that. I usually left Saturday night and Sunday day for non-stream or work related stuff, such as stuff around the house and planning outings with the girlfriend at the time.

I stopped streaming in November for multiple reasons, one of them being a schedule. Keeping a "schedule" isn't necessarily a problem for me, but the schedule I'd have to keep would need to revolved around my work hours, so the streaming times would rotate. I have what is considered "Shift work", meaning that my schedule shifts or rotates each and every week. One week I'm working mon-tues days 6am-6pm and fri-sun nights 6pm-6am. The second week I'm wed-thurs day 6am-6pm. The third week I'm mon-tues nights 6pm-6am, then fri-sun days 6am-6pm. It's a confusing schedule to people who are not working it and tends to make it hard for people to follow a stream that would be rotating it's streaming times so drastically.

The other issue with drastically changing stream times is the your crowd, community, and viewership. Unless you really get big it's hard to stream at opposite ends of the day. If you start getting a following on you streams from 10am-5pm those people are most likely going to only be there during that time frame. Now say you're unable to do that for two weeks and stream from 6pm-12 midnight...You're most likely going to get a different crowd. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it spreads out your viewership and the less you're on at certain times the bigger the chance viewers will find streamers that are dedicated to the time frame they can watch on a consistent basis.

I guess my question would be what are you looking for in streaming? From your original post in this thread it seems like streaming would never really be able to take a priority, so my suggestion would be just to do it for fun. Maybe set aside one or two days a week where you know you'll be available and stream specific games that can be completed in a time-frame of those streams. Don't blow off the more important things to try and force something that isn't going to happen. The main reason why I haven't streamed is because if I feel I can't dedicate enough time to provide a entertaining stream of good quality then I simply don't want to waste people's time.

In the end, you have a real job and other real life priorities. That's a GOOD thing and streaming can simply be something you do when you have the time. With your situation I would look at streaming as a fun activity for people you know and others who may stop in. In this case get the social media stuff going so that when you can stream, they'll get notified and be able to watch you.

#5 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Consistency is definitely key, if you're looking to build your channel to a large level of followers.     I'm a casual streamer, and make that point known frequently to my viewers.   While I'm very happy to get new followers, I'm not actively trying to build it since I know I can't be a full-time streamer.    I try to stream most evenings sometime between 6pm and 11pm EST.  However, working 50+ hour weeks with my day job, sometimes I just don't have the energy to provide a stream that I feel is high enough quality, and I'd just rather relax in a game offline.   Streaming is surprisingly demanding if you plan on having a decent level of interaction with your viewers, which is another huge element to growing a stream, imo. (I know I was personally shocked at how much energy and attention takes to do an interactive stream).

I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with just being a casual streamer, there's a niche for people like myself, but you have to set reasonable expectations for your stream's growth if you're not going to go all-in.

Another huge aspect beyond the obvious consistency and community interactions is being positive and keeping things upbeat, in my opinion.   There have been a lot of streamers that I enjoyed watching for their games or skill, but in the end their negativity just made me go find a different stream.

#6 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

If you have the time, listen to this episode of Professor Blastoff a science/ comedy podcast. The guest is a manager of many famous comedians including Louie C.K. and Dane Cook. he has a good bit in it about consistency and how many people who become successful in their passion start with consistency. Its not always time spent but its persona and content as well.

Take a listen its an amazing show and might help you find a way to find consistency in some form. http://www.earwolf.c.../show-business/

Good luck with everything.

Awesome. I'm gonna listen to that one.

#7 okiraan

okiraan

• 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'll have to schedule some time to listen to that podcast.

#8 BanditPants

BanditPants

• 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

When I first started broadcasting, a schedule was almost impossible for me to maintain or keep. However, I can't stress the importance of having a schedule. Even if it's not at the same time each day, letting viewers know when you're going to stream will help to grow your broadcast's return viewer-base. So even if it's only for 2 hours on a Friday night at 9pm and then 4 hours on Saturday at Noon - putting this on your stream's profile will alert viewers to when you'll be live, even if it's not at the same time each day - so they know when to expect your cast to be. People will work their schedules around yours! Make sure it's convenient for you, because maintaining a high-energy cast and interaction is VERY important to being successful. These are tips from other broadcasters that have really had a major impact on my cast, and has even helped me in my every day life with maintaining balance. I hope this information does help some!

-Bandit

Streaming live every night at 10pm at twitch.tv/banditpants

Gamer, Musician, and dedicated broadcaster.

#9 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

Good tip from my experience is also to not go for million hour long streams and to the morning hours unless that's your regular schedule. People who watch you normally won't stay up that late, you don't have that much energy in the end yourself and it wrecks your next day(s) so you might need to skip streaming and ruin your schedule.

Personally I tried to have set schedule and even scheduling games but that's just impossible to keep up for me. So now I'm pretty much on the schedule "I stream every day in the evening hours unless something comes up and I'll just inform people that I need to skip the day". But my starting time still stays within 1-2 hour marginal of my usual starting time so people know pretty much when to expect me to start even if it's not totally set time.

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

It always just depends on your goals. If you're doing this to make money or you want a career out of it, you have to treat it like a job. You can't call in sick twice every week or you're fired. You can't show up whenever you feel like it at all different hours every day. You have to make a schedule and do it. Even being late when your schedule says 11am and you're 10 minutes late, is a big deal. There's a reason that someone like Lethalfrag, who isn't a very entertaining personality in my opinion, has the following he has. Insane consistency. Not just in stream times but in content, attitude and personality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users