• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Headset reccomendations?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

I need to pick up a new headset for PC gaming. I have a Microsoft usb one now that is over ear and it has been a good one even though I ripped the mic out of it a while back and haven't replaced it. I liked that it was usb, I would also like to stick with the over ear setup. I like good quality sound that is comfortable to wear in case I decide to take off work and spend the day playing a game. What do you recommend?

#2 Chamrajnagar

Chamrajnagar

Advanced Member

• 60 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

I have a logitech g930 and it is absolutely excellent. 7.1 surround sound and good range (wireless). It's a bit pricey but I totally would recommend one. 

Chamrajnagar / XDMysticFlare

#3 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• 80 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

I have a logitech g930 and it is absolutely excellent. 7.1 surround sound and good range (wireless). It's a bit pricey but I totally would recommend one. 

+1 I have the same headset its amazing I like in a three story house and can walk outside before I loose connection. Batteries last 10 hours and sound... oh man sound just isn't the same without them. That 7.1 surround sound is amazing. The only pair of headphones I've ever used that equal the sound output are Bose and those cost twice as much. Its pricy as Cham said but for what you get its worth it. Also input device is amazing.

And God said:

"Let there be Airborne!" Saint Michael snapped to attention, and the heavens let out with a loud and thunderous ALL THE WAY!

#4 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

Personally, I am getting out of the gaming headset business and going back to a Regular Headset and seperate mic.  Better sounding headphones is what I am after along with a much better mic since I stream.

#5 Cozax

Cozax

• 19 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

I have a Razer Kraken and it's pretty amazing. The mic quality is insane for a headset, but its a pretty good headset on its own :).

#6 CoFRDoG

CoFRDoG

• 29 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlandsss... s.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

If you are on a budget Id recommend the speedlink medusa, its only 5.1 but very good quality overall!

#7 Kinergy

Kinergy

• 11 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire, United Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I purchased the Astro a40's w/ mix amp last year - Amazingly comfy which is a huge bonus if you're going to be wearing them for a long time. 7.1 surround sound also.

You can also purchase without the amp.

w/ Amp - http://www.astrogami...r=White#start=1

w/o Amp - http://www.astrogami...TRO_color=white

Looking back i should of purchased the a50's purely for the stand and its wireless - http://www.astrogami...TRO_color=Black

#8 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

I have one as well. It's great other than a few kinks with the 'Surround Sound' mode. Ie: Youtube only plays audio from the right ear while in that mode. Build quality, sound quality, battery life, and range are great.

#9 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I have a Logitech G230 and like it - but I endorse everyone else's recommendation of the G930. If that's in your budget, it's the only choice :)

#10 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

what ever you buy, dont buy the razer tiamat 7.1 i have a pair. yes they are cool and i love the controller but the mic is crap. also the main selling point on them (the fact that there is 10 individual drivers 5 in each side) is also the main con. because there are 10 drivers they are so small that they cant keep up. so the sound quality is extremely lacking. if you want to go with surround sound go with 5.1s

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#11 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

I still haven't heard a 7.1 headset that's real 7.1. Some of the 5.1's are OK but 7 speakers in your headset? It's just emulated to sound like that typically. I really think you have to go WAY up in price to get a 7.1 that sounds great.

For bargain headsets, I still think the Razer Carcharias is the most comfortable headset I've ever owned. It's GOOD, not great for everything else. The mic isn't the best for voice work but it's plenty for TS or anything else.

#12 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Personally, I am getting out of the gaming headset business and going back to a Regular Headset and seperate mic.  Better sounding headphones is what I am after along with a much better mic since I stream.

Are you going for some serious audiophile stereo headphones and like a top grade pro ribbon mic? I got a friend who fairly recently started putting together a home studio for music recording. Man there is no end or limitation on  the level of mic's you can buy for that stuff. Some of those get downright insane in quality level but oh how you pay for it. 

#13 Wordian

Wordian

• 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I bought the Sennheiser 350 SE a month ago and now I will sound a sales pitcher but I must say I have never ever had any better clearer sounds in any of my previous headsets. The mic it has works just great. Such a clear wonderful sound .... :wub:

I know they are somewhat pricey but worth every single penny as one would say. They are closed headphones. They do not have much base like want to feel like your head is going boomtastic  ;)

#14 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

Are you going for some serious audiophile stereo headphones and like a top grade pro ribbon mic? I got a friend who fairly recently started putting together a home studio for music recording. Man there is no end or limitation on  the level of mic's you can buy for that stuff. Some of those get downright insane in quality level but oh how you pay for it. 

Not 500 buck quality  but 2-300 probably.

Still need to figure out what kind of mic i wanna get based on the setup im working on.

#15 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Not 500 buck quality  but 2-300 probably.

Still need to figure out what kind of mic i wanna get based on the setup im working on.

Man some of those pro mic's get into the thousands. You can get a Neumann Solution D for the low low low price of $7999.95. The ones my friend was looking into was some of the Shure and rode mic's. He had a SM81 which is 350ish dollar range that did pretty good. He also had a beta 57 which i think was 130ish range and it did surprisingly well. He also had a ribbon mic which to me recorded more true to what your ear hears. Those I think were a little more pricy and if you blew into them to hard they would break. If you get omni directional every sound that takes place in the room will be picked up.

For general use though that Shure beta 57 did really well so you might want to look at that one.

#16 Erivel

Erivel

Advanced Member

• 104 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I purchased the Astro a40's w/ mix amp last year - Amazingly comfy which is a huge bonus if you're going to be wearing them for a long time. 7.1 surround sound also.

You can also purchase without the amp.

w/ Amp - http://www.astrogami...r=White#start=1

w/o Amp - http://www.astrogami...TRO_color=white

Looking back i should of purchased the a50's purely for the stand and its wireless - http://www.astrogami...TRO_color=Black

A50's are great.  I've tried em before, i might have to get a set for myself.

#17 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Since people are throwing around all sorts of price-ranges, I'm going to toss my favorite into the mix: Sennheiser PC360 .. best headset I've ever owned.  So comfy, great sound, quality mic (it's what I use on my stream if you want to hear a test)

I recently "upgraded" to the PC363D, but I'm not 100% sold on how much of a boost it is.. I've had trouble getting the 7.1 to work well.. The mic is about the same quality as well.

#18 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

I just got a skullcandy slyr (i got the assassins creed special edition one...) and it works great and to top it off its has hookups for dif. consoles. the sound is good with both the speakers and the mic. and its only $70 unless u score a deal on amazon or find one that has an open item price at a retail store.

I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

#19 Aritani

Aritani

Advanced Member

• 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:21 AM

Just bought Logitech G430. Very nice headset. Super comfy, feels quite solid, not like its gonna snap every time you stretch it out to place on your head. Sound is great, especially compared to my old turtlebeach ones. Would definitely recommend.

hv737pE.jpg

#20 Erukul

Erukul

• 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

No more headsets for me. I got tired of paying too much for cheap headphones with cheap mics. And yes I have a couple of pairs in the 200-300 dollar range.

Buy a good 5.1(7.1) soundcard. ASUS/Creative/etc

Buy a good mic, I have a usb Blue. 

Buy good headphones, I use Sennheisser.

Never look back.

And when I dont feel like wearing headphones, this setup works just fine with my 5.1 speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users