• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Gaming Names

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 pitvipers

pitvipers

• 15 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

soooo, i was thinking of random crap at work.. because its the most mind numbing thing evar D:
and the memory of the birth of pitvipers came up, so heres the thing, a lot of people come up with a gaming name at somepoint, and that becomes kind of their go-to thing.. so i was wondering, where do your gaming names come from people? can be a short explanation, a long story, whatever, share it :D

pitvipers comes from the time when i started playing diablo2, i needed a name for my first character a necromancer, and i couldnt think of anything, so i thought i'd get 2 words that sound fun together, so i thought viper would be a nice first word, because of the poison/bone skill tree, and pit, seemed fitting at the time ^^

Youtube: n00bg0n31337 (not that i post vids or anything xD)
steam: Pitvipers

#2 Quinadin

Quinadin

• 0 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Mine actually came out of a random name generator. I was making a char for Everquest and just kept hitting the button. It spat out some crazy names but I liked the Qui for some reason. I wound up just putting together parts of the names and got Quinadin. Been using it ever since, and most of the time when I start playing a MMO I'm the only Qui- name on the servers for a while lol

#3 Rushlock

Rushlock

Advanced Member

• 81 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Mithgar series by Dennis L. McKiernan. Not sure why I took the name, but came across it while reading his works, and I suppose I was just then using the internet :P I used to use the full name "Patrel Rushlock" often, but over the years just shortened it to Rushlock.

#4 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

smoke63b...

It's silly now but, I chose this when I first started really using the internet. It's around 17 years old now. My MOS (job designation) in the Army was 63b. My favorite color (or non color) is grey. I didn't want to use grey so I used smoke... Exciting huh? DON'T JUDGE ME!

Most of the time around the web I think people tend to gravitate toward thinking it has something to do with smoking weed lol...

#5 Jake12x

Jake12x

• 2 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I have never felt less of a creative person in my life.

*Looks at name* Sigh

#6 I_D_I_O_T

I_D_I_O_T

Admin

• 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Well my name isn't just a gaming name i use my on the Internet Everywhere. and the story of how i got it is pretty simple, i was working a Tech/Help channel on IRC and i kept getting these very stupid idiotic questions, aka troll questions, so i decided i would change my name and people would quit asking me these questions. It worked for awhile and i was able to actually get some helpful work done from those people who would trust an idiot with advice. One would think i would get the question of why i use this name alot, but in the last 15+ years that question has only came up a handful of times. I like to use the metaphorical phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" in relation to my name as most of you realize by now i'm actually smarter then an average idiot.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin

#7 Palaciouss

Palaciouss

Advanced Member

• 55 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

My name comes from my vanilla WoW days.... (ahh memories) I had two mains, a priest and a paladin. Me and my friends were playing one day and one of them said to me that I should get a gaming name for the future. I was like sure, since my characters names are just randomly generated. One of my friends though 'Pala' was a great start since it goes with anything really. Then I thought that I could make it sound holy like my priest. 'cious' in my opinion sounds holy.

#8 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

DragonKitty was a new addition to my user id list that i use. Generally i use the name Thedragoness for just about everything. I used Dragonkitty because i thought that would be the coolest type of dragon and a cats nature can be cold blooded anyway. but I fall under the dragon zodiac so dragons are apart of a lot of things for me. no i dont have a million dragon tattoos and figurines or posters, but user tags on the other hand hahaha. i am not 100% versed on the lore behind dragons and dragon types but i always did like the story of dragons able to go into human form and even taking on human brides lol
I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

#9 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

My name came from the song My Name Is Mud by Primus, which I heard first in the original Tony Hawk game. I started out using it for fighting game tournaments going as Mud. The name seems pretty self deprecating, which is perfect for me, and I'm loving my alt name Dum_dum, by the way (might start going by that now). I'm not a huge Primus fan anymore (and My Name Is Mud was never close to my favorite of their songs, actually. haha), but the name stuck.

watch at your own discretion, it gets weird...

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hah Mud. I like one or two of Primus' songs but that isn't one of them lol. It always irritates Aaron when I start singing that Primus song cause he hates it!

Now Wynona took her big brown beaver and she stuck him up in the air,
Said I sure do love this big brown beaver and I wish I did have a pair,

#11 M1w24

M1w24

• 1 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

My name, m1w24, came about from my cousin. This was originally a gamertag he used on Xbox 360 then I took it over. However, there is actual meaning behind my name. This is a very shortened down form of the platoon(Marines 1st Division Weapons 2 4) my other cousin, the first one mentioned brother, which was KIA in Afghanistan. I used this gamertag before I got my own Xbox and played with my cousin, then I just kept using this tag after I got my own Xbox. Since I'm lazy also I have used this name on almost everything I play, there are a few exceptions though.

#12 Liquidbible

Liquidbible

• 0 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've always found the stories behind usernames really interesting. I think the name you choose says a lot about you as a person and I think it holds more depth and feeling then your birth name simply because it's not given to you, it's chosen by you. So I'll play along too!

I'll start off by saying my handle/tag/username/call sign didn't come about by me being super religious nor am I an alcoholic(keep reading for my explanation). I've had a handful of other user names in the past. Liquid.Bible came about when I was play Counter Strike: Source with one of my best friends. He started using the name Pries† (because he just discovered the cool ascii characters). So I decided it would be neat if we had similar religious themed names and *poof* Liquid.Bible jumped into my head.

A lot of people ask me what a Liquid.Bible is. My knee jerk response at first was "booze" because, like religion, people use booze to help cope with difficult times and escape for a moment. After putting some thought into the name I've given myself, the honest truth behind what a Liquid Bible means to me is, it's a set of guide lines(like a bible) that allow for expansion and flexibility(like a liquid).

So there you have it, my user name.

#13 Osedax_

Osedax_

• 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I was Sitting on my throne one day reading my "Scientific American" Subscription. Came across this.

Osedax worms, also known as zombie worms, are bone-eating worms [1]; the Latin-derived word “Osedax” means “bone devourer.”

- stick to p0ng -

#14 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

I was Sitting on my throne one day reading my "Scientific American" Subscription. Came across this.

Osedax worms, also known as zombie worms, are bone-eating worms [1]; the Latin-derived word “Osedax” means “bone devourer.”

Oh man... That's disturbing.

#15 Grey_dybbuk

Grey_dybbuk

Advanced Member

• 35 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

I have had a few names/handles in various games, etc., over the years, no doubt to the confusion of my online friends. This one is a combination of things. I have gone by Greyloch in a few games, more often than not. I combined Grey with a spirit from Jewish/Hebrew myth called a Dybbuk (there was also a play about this that I saw a long time ago, called "The Dybbuk."). It's basically a spirit that returns and possesses a living being because it has unfinished business preventing it from resting in peace. I suppose I felt a bit like that sometimes. Plus, it sounds cool. Well, I think so anyway. My mom is Israeli, and quite a storyteller when it comes to folk tales and mythology, so I grew up on similar stories (though not that specific one).

#16 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

While there have been various versions of the name depending on the game I was playing (Dekko Cards doesn't fit well into fantasy games), the name has basically been my handle in every game I've played since Dark Age of Camelot in 2002. I'll try and keep it short, but doubt that'll work...

My name came about when I was creating my second character in that game, a hunter, and Episode II of Star Wars had just came out. I've always been a fan of the original trilogy, and Boba Fett was probably one of my favorite characters in the series. With the new trilogy, we were introduced to Jango Fett. After brainstorming a bit I decided to make a short, easy name to pronounce and remember. I wrote down a bunch of names, Bleko, Debo, Genbo, and various others. After going through the list and picking my top three, I decided to go with Dekko.

About 10 levels into the game you are allowed to choose a surname. Since I didn't have much care for a last name I decided to just put "Fett" as my surname as it was what influenced the character's name in the first place. Well, it turned out "Fett" was on the banned list and I logged in the next morning to the name Dekko Kronberg. Thinking it was some sort of bug, I went back and changed my name back to Dekko Fett. The next day, once again, I log into the game with the surname Kronberg. At this point I kind of put two and two together and realized Fett must be a name they do not allow. Mentioning the fact in my guild's Ventrilo and asking for ideas someone made the joke of "Why don't you make your last name Cards, you know...Deck of Cards."

I actually liked the name, and it had a nice play on words for multiple scenarios in that game. A lot of people really enjoyed the name from around the realm. I'd get random messages from people "Haha, that's an awesome name." And with the game being medieval fantasy, you got the whole "House of Cards" thing with the guild houses. It was definitely one of my favorite character names to date at the time, and when I went from DAoC to Star Wars Galaxies I continued using that name.

I've used various other names in combination or shorthand. In WoW since there were no last names I simply used Decks. Currently in Final Fantasy I am using Roland Dex, which is a name combining two characters I've enjoyed from ficitonal series. Roland Deschain is the name of the main protagonist from The Dark Tower series by Stephan King, and Ronon Dex is a character from Stargate Atlantis. I originally was going to go with Roland Decks, but decided on the shortened version after remembering the Ronon Dex character from Atlantis.

#17 elvismiggell

elvismiggell

Advanced Member

• 42 posts
  • LocationLingfield, UK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Elvismiggell has been my internet persona and handle since something like 1999.

Back in the 90s in the UK, 'tagging' waas quite a big thing at school amongst the slightly more chavvy folks. Everyone had a nickname and a stylistic way of writing it.

One day in chemistry, my friends Jen and Hannah decided they would call me Elvismiggell. Elvis for my quiff and miggell because it was "funkier" than Michael.

Fortunately it's turned out to be pretty much unique, so has actually come in really handy.

#18 genadmission

genadmission

• 18 posts
  • LocationMtl, Qc, Canada

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Not a long story for my name,

Back when Diablo 2 went out me and some high-school (or the equivalent cause where i live its a different system) we started to play multiplayer (that was a big deal back then). We all decided to choose name base on military rank. One was Lt. Rintintin, Capt. Kanrabat, so i choose General Admission since i thought it was funny. Since the name was loo long for the game i had to crop it in some shape or form and i ended with Genadmission.

that is pretty much it

PS: funny story about my name Wes is the only streamer or equivalent to get my name right the first time.

#19 okiraan

okiraan

• 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

In 2000-01 I played in a DnD game on IRC. I made an elven ranger and needed a name. I came up with okiran--a bastardization of the name Akira, inspired by the anime film and director Akira Kurosawa. The game fell apart in the miscommunication of words 'said' without the added meaning of vocal inflection, but the name stuck with me. It became okiraan because when I spelled it for some one they said, "Ok I ran" which I heard as 'Ok Iran'. That made a little uncomfortable, not being Iranian myself, so I added another 'a'. I like the look of the word better, plus I wanted the last syllable to sound like 'on' and not 'an'. okiran/okiraan has been my internet name since about 2002. Sometimes I (or others) shorten it to oki, which I've since learned means 'big' in Japanese. It has no capital because I'm lazy.

#20 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:01 AM

SQiRL.... well...Its currently the only name i use outside of real life.

Around '93 sometime I went with a friend to meet up with some folks.
Guy opens the door, says hi to my friend and goes... who the fuck are you?
I was being stupid because he didn't say his name first and went... I am Mr Anonymous.
He perked up a little bit, looked me over seeing i was unshaven with long hair and went...

"Well, you look like a squirrely fucker.... come on in"

My friend looks at me and goes..... SQUIRREL...HAHA You just got your nickname. And so the additional 10 people inside all instantly started calling me Squirrel.

As for the current spelling... I wanted to be Original and Spelled it in a unique way that had honestly not been on the Dialup services or BBS or anywhere that I could find publicly. To this day, i believe I was actually the very first person to spell it this way and when i started using it as my internet moniker i noticed other people quickly jumping on it. So now when i see a new service... I instantly jump into it and grab my name because currently... there is a Toiliet Brush like cleaner at sqirl.com (which is totally not me) and some kind of a stupid store in California that has absolutely no ties to being called squirrel what so ever that i saw when they named it. lol

I know... not cool story bro... but its how it came to be. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users