• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Gaming Names

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Cozax

Cozax

• 19 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

The name I'm using right now comes from playing League of Legends.. There's a champion called Kha'Zix and I really enjoyed him, so I just kinda took his name and changed it.. I've used a lot of different names across different games of many different levels of stupidity, like Pychos or Seanaldinho, the first of which came from me in 8th grade just trying to think of a good name, and the second came from my name, Sean, and my love for soccer :). I kinda like Cozax the best, but that doesn't mean that I'll suddenly have some urge to change it on everything for the umpteenth time.

#42 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

Well, this is a bit embarrassing for me but I'll share anyways :D

Around 6-7 years ago, the game I played most was Warcraft 3. I liked that game so much I bought the original keys by myself (which was practically unheard of in these parts at that time - pirating was a norm! if you payed for a game you were a total nerd) so I could play multiplayer on BNet. I needed a name however, so being a little romantic like I was then I searched and searched through Warcraft lore to find a fancy name for myself. Since I played with the night elves most I took the name Kaldorei which was a name for them in their native language, meaning Children of the Stars. Seemed appropriate since I loved all things space even at that time! Shortened it for a bit and there it was.. a name by which all the fellow players learned to know me. It kinda grew onto me so I didn't want to change it, and it eventually became my default internet identity.

However, if someone asks me why Kaldo these days, I mostly just say it's from the Italian word for "hot". It's easier that way :)

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#43 MortarMarshall

MortarMarshall

• 2 posts
  • LocationClarkston, WA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

The story of my name is a bit humorous. I originally used DalCowboysFan online for fantasy football leagues and on XBOX Live because I played a lot of Madden NFL. I really got into the Call of Duty multiplayer about the time of Modern Warfare 2 because I have always liked FPS games and it was getting very popular. Even though I love shooters, I really suck at them most likely because of my poor vision. This causes me to stand out when I play them and thus get a lot of rude comments and hate messages about how I should return the games and quit playing them (this has happened more times than I can count). I have somewhat gotten past the rude comments about my ability but I still hated people commenting on the gamertag that did not fit those types of games. I had to create a new XBOX Live account because of my previous account getting hacked. I tried really hard to think of a new gamertag. About this time, I was playing Modern Warfare 3 and since I really do suck at these games, I was actually getting more kills from the Martyrdom and Dead Man's Hand deathstreaks or from random grenades and semtex that I would throw like crazy. My real name is Marshall. So that is how I got MortarMarshall!

#44 siralexlaw

siralexlaw

Advanced Member

• 48 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I unfortunately have a boring story. 

My original handle was DragonPatron, would use it for just about everything, primarily I liked dragons and I was probably 15 or so when I first came up with it. I thought it was super cool back in the day. Then I started getting into serious careers and figured, well, maybe I should change my email address as dragonpatron didn't seem very professional. I went with alex.law and alexlaw and alexlawton but all were taken, so I went with Siralexlaw which I felt was more astute and professional. It's kinda stuck with me sense, I have way too much invested with variations of that particular handle that changing it at this point would be futile. The only problem I have with it is that its not really a suitable gamertag and/or callsign. I mean siralex could be better...I guess, I went with Alawtv as a channel name and tried to coin it but it didnt fly very far. 

So I guess I'm in a problem state. I like siralexlaw for just about everything but I can't imagine running around in starcitizen people calling me siralexlaw. PS2 its alexlaw which works alright but again wheres the creativity? I guess I'll be going with a relatively similar name that can be associated with siralexlaw. 

ATM these are list of handles for different games.

Steam: alaw

Smite: alexlaw

EvE: Faith Gaurdian

FFXIV: Terd Fergason

League of Legends: AimedShot

Warthunder: alexlaw

World of Tanks: alexlaw

As you can see, very little variation in my stuff.

#45 Kicken

Kicken

Advanced Member

• 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

That's an excellent observation and I think it speaks a great deal to the influence that society has on us throughout our lives. Why does something like Pitvipers weird us out if it was a person's actual name? Because it's not typical and because we're conditioned to think it's strange when in reality, it's just a made up word like any name.

I call lots of people IRL by their net handles, if I met them online. :D

#46 aerodynex

aerodynex

• 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I've had a handful of online handles, but this one I made a few years ago because I wanted a brand new name for my favorite racing game at the time Project Torque, So I was sitting there trying to think of a new name and a friend of mine suggested aero, the name was already taken and I just sat there and slapped dyne on it without even thinking about the word aerodynamic.  The name has stuck ever since.  Added the X since almost always someone has Aerodyne taken on a lot of games >.<

#47 elvismiggell

elvismiggell

Advanced Member

• 42 posts
  • LocationLingfield, UK

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

I call lots of people IRL by their net handles, if I met them online. :D

I joined a forum for a bar I used to go to all the time.  Some people STILL know me only as Elvis.

#48 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

The name ecator came from a book that I read. The names weren't just for gaming. Back in the dial up days you would log into peoples ftp sites or bulliten boards or even mIRC so you would use a name for those things. I wanted a name that I thought was cool that I didn't think many people would know about so ecator it was. In a book named "A Sword for a Dragon by Christopher Rowley the main dragon protagonist in the book Bazil acquires a new sword that is infused with the spirit of Ecator, an ancient black cat from the city of Tummuz Orgmeen. The sword was almost alive with a desire to vanquish bad guys and young me found that name appropreate since I was a moderator for a few mIRC channels and had to vanquish a few noobs in the digital chatroom sense.

I have used other handles for games before but always seem to come back to this one since it has some sentimental value from the moderation days and the years I played wow and other various online games.

#49 Mud_Mud

Mud_Mud

Advanced Member

• 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Love this thread. these are always fun to read, sorry to break the chain of actually interesting posts. But keep 'em coming!

#50 pitvipers

pitvipers

• 15 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Love this thread. these are always fun to read, sorry to break the chain of actually interesting posts. But keep 'em coming!

pshh.. Mud gets a fancy red name and he just starts going off topic as of nothing happened! you should be ashamed mud!!

Youtube: n00bg0n31337 (not that i post vids or anything xD)
steam: Pitvipers

#51 Pyrite_Solunar

Pyrite_Solunar

• 4 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

I was playing some D&D in the early 90's and was obliterated by a golden dragon named Pyrite. After that I took the name. 

I've only been using Solunar for a few years now. Han Solo had some influence but it emerged from Solar + Lunar = Solunar.

#52 NiftyWolfie

NiftyWolfie

• 2 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire, UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

My name comes from when Xbox live was first released it wouldn't allow me to use "Wolfie" as it was already taken so some friends started going through the random name options and finally found "NiftyWolfie", they said it suited me as I was always "Nifty" at nicking their kills in game. I've used this name now for everything online and to be honest I doubt most people even know my real name unless they talk to me on MSN.

#53 MinosN

MinosN

• 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I have always enjoyed Greek mythology and Minos was the King of Crete who later became a judge in Hades. In the early 2000's I was ripping and sharing DivX encodes of DVDs as I could get the DVDs before they were released and released as MinosENCODE. When I started playing Eve online in Beta one of my alts was MinosE (which later became my main after a simple misunderstanding ;) ), but after hearing it pronounced once on Eve radio I realized I didn't like how it read so I changed to MinosN hoping that people would read it as Min-os-N.

#54 MorphlingV2

MorphlingV2

• 2 posts
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

My nickname comes from the time when I started playing Magic: The Gathering around 14 years ago. Morphling used to be a win condition in many blue-based control decks, the kind that I liked to play at the time. V2 is simply a new and improved version of it! :P

#55 pyso_

pyso_

Advanced Member

• 157 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Aaah Morphling, that card was so beastly. One of my friends would just instantly surrender when it came into play, but that was because he misread the abilities and thought it said "Add +0/+1" and "Add +1/+0", so he thought it could be boosted to infinity and beyond.

#56 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I've had various names over the years in gaming... but I like my current one the best.

You see, I am a slightly-older-than-young married person with kids (average) that happens to be male (guy), and my given name is Michael (mike). But I'm not just any average guy Mike, I'm THAT average guy Mike :)

I am also not super great at video games, but not terrible, so that's another interpretation of average.

#57 Kremmel

Kremmel

• 19 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

I've used a few over the years. My first one was Calcor back in bbs and telnet muds. Nato/Chowdyr/Bacconnaise/Lunarstorm in WoW. Belanos in warhammer online.

Chowdyr was a fun one. A friend of mine in wow convinced a bunch of us to switch servers from pve to pvp maybe a month after wow came out. He was a rogue named chowder. We thought it would be fun to all make rogues so we could gank people. I came up with the idea to all use names that looked like Chowder so that when when 8 rogues popped out of stealth around someone as they lay there dead all they could see were Chowders. Not sure I can remember all of the names but there were at least 8 of us. We had Chowder, Chowdere, Chowdyr, Chovvder, Chowdur, Chowda, Chowdjur.. I can't remember the others.

My favorite one lately though has been Kremmel. My first character in Everquest when it came out was a gnome magician named Mijar (I don't remember where i got that name). About a month or so after release I wasn't really getting anywhere in game and the people I play with decided to switch to the "evil" races, so I picked a troll. I didn't have a name for it but my cousin gave me the name he would of used for his troll if he had made one, Kremmel. At level 20 in EQ you could add a surname, which I made Kremmel.

Kremmel Kremmel the Shadowknight Troll.

Freelancer Kremmel

#58 Falcon515

Falcon515

Advanced Member

• 73 posts
  • LocationUSA Michigan

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

My name comes straight from my childhood obsession with Star Wars. In Star Wars Battlefront (best FPS game ever made!) all clone characters are named using a greek letter followed by 3 digits. Since I always played the republic, I stuck with convention and named my character "Alpha 515."

Later, my best friend and I created our own Republic Commando inspired characters that we role-played outside with nerf guns: the epitome of nerdy, I know. Anyways, I ended up with the name "General Falcon." I ended up merging the two names into Falcon 515, which is what I've been using for the last 8 years or so. :)

#59 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Lol... Love your story MortarMarshall :D

#60 Wordian

Wordian

• 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

My original name that I did use and is sometimes is the name Outha which is close to a characters name from one of the books from either Raymond E Feist or if it was David Eddings. I use to read through so many fantasy books it was nuts.

Wordian is just a name I made up one day and I've been using for the last 3-4 years.

Reason for name change? My gold fish memory doesn't recall the reason but I use Outha from time to time but very rarely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users