• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Gaming Names

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

i got my name from watching stargate sg1 when i was a kid, when they made the daedalus class battlecruiser i fell in love with the name and have been using it ever since. plus i love when people try to pronounce it and some how end up putting 3 d's in it well trying to say it... they end of saying it like dadaedalus

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#62 Aritani

Aritani

Advanced Member

• 38 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Aritani comes from back in my youth when me and my siblings would play DnD. My very first character i played was named Aritani, formed by just adding a letter at a time till it looked good. Been using it ever since.

hv737pE.jpg

#63 BanditPants

BanditPants

• 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

My gaming name came from my passion for playing games as a rogue-like character, sneaking around and pick-pocketing in Thief and Skyrim were always exciting for me. I also enjoyed rogue classes in WoW and other games similar. So, Bandit Pants comes from "wearing the pants of a bandit". Many have confused it with a "pants bandit" but this isn't the case. However, due to so many people in my broadcast talking about it, it has become a "thing" and now it's a small joke that I steal pants everywhere I go (in a classy manner, of course).

-Bandit (Michael)

Streaming live every night at 10pm at twitch.tv/banditpants

Gamer, Musician, and dedicated broadcaster.

#64 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Enjoying the responses in this thread. It's always interesting to see where or how people originated their names. I figured I'd post a few of my lesser known names over the years that I used as secondary (alt) characters in the MMOs I played after using Dekko Cards for my main...

Kozzy: Kozzy was the first name I ever used in a MMORPG. It was the name of my Skald in Dark Age of Camelot. Originally when I was going through the character creation I was going to create a Berserker, which was a warrior type class that had the ability to transform into a Vendo Beast (basically a humanoid Bear creature). I was in high school at the time so I started thinking up names during downtime in class due to boredom. Two things that came to mind were Klondike the Polar Bear and Fozzie from the Muppets. I figured Klondike would be taken so I decided to merge the two names and went with Kozzy. The name itself carried over little meaning when all was said and done though, since I decided to go with a Skald class instead of the Beserker. I kept the name though since I liked it.

Letalis: In Latin it means Mortal, Deadly, Fatal. This was the name I used for my Paladin in World of Warcraft. As with Kozzy, Letalis was originally going to be the name of another class, the Rogue. However, coming from Star Wars Galaxies everyone knew me as Dekko so I ended up creating an alt character to save the name for future use. I randomly used it for my Paladin and leveled him up here and there when I was bored and didn't feel like playing my main, a Hunter named Dekko. I felt the name itself didn't suite the Paladin class, but by the time I got around to playing the Paladin on a more consistent basis he was already at a level that I didn't want to reroll.

Harmione: The backstory to this is pretty boring. This is the name I give to my Mage-type classes in most fantasy MMOs. It's a combination of the name Hermione from Harry Potter and the word Harmony. I started using this name starting in World of Warcraft.

Alucards: This name is a complicated one, including muliple references and meanings behind it. Obviously it's a homage, in this case to two different franchises; The Castlevania series, in which Alucard is the Dhampir son of Dracula, and the Hellsing anime, of which Alucard is the main protagonist. The S on the end was so that people who saw the character could more easily relate it to my main, Dekko Cards. The name itself originated during an event I did in the early 2000s with a bunch of friends I met through gaming. It was done on a web forum and treated like a pen-and-paper role playing game set in the World of Darkness universe. We had multiple people draw up story boards for those who participated and created characters that would serve as bosses, villains, etc.

I played Alucards, short for Alexander Ulric Cards, who was a Werewolf. Players did not know about this up front and assumed the character was a Vampire, due to clues and misdirects throughout the story and quest, and the obvious name being in previous franchises. Ulric itself means "man of the wolves" and is also a nod to the Warhammer diety. After this role playing event I used the name in a few MMORPGs for classes that revolved around some sort of rage abilities. DC Universe Online as a villain Rage Tank, Star Wars The Old Republic as a Sith Pureblood Warrior (Although I'd probably do Cathar now if I had the choice), Guild Wars II as a Charr Engineer, and Torchlight II as a Beserker.

Sinchester: This is a name that I used when I had to carry over my second Hunter in World of Warcraft to another server. Original his name was Sinister but the name was taken, so I went with this. This is a combination of Sinister and Winchester, which is a reference to the Winchester rifle as well as to the last name of the characters from Supernatural, Sam and Dean.

Roland Dex: I've mentioned this before, the name is combining two characters I've enjoyed from ficitonal series. Roland Deschain is the name of the main protagonist from The Dark Tower series by Stephan King, and Ronon Dex is a character from Stargate Atlantis. I originally was going to go with Roland Decks, but decided on the shortened version after remembering the Ronon Dex character from Atlantis.

In the end, over the years I've tried to create a character name that I liked and also had some meaning behind it. My goal was also to have names that would better suit certain classes/professions in games so that when I rolled an alternate character I didn't have to make up some name that meant nothing to me. As you can see from the list above, I tend to simply combine words for most of my names, creating a Portmanteau name.

#65 phife333

phife333

• 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

I've always had a special connection to Barney Fife, my hero form Mayberry.  Watching him get the jitters always put me in mind of how I feel on the inside when my adrenaline gets up.  Since gaming of any type has often gotten my adrenaline going, I finally chose the name (years ago), altering the spelling and adding the numbers to avoid the inevitable "this name has already been taken" scenario.  

#66 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm not sure if I've replied to this yet, or not. But as you might guess, this name is not random at all. It's the 64-bit architecture and that's all. It rhymes.

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#67 Celemourn

Celemourn

• 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Celemourn, pronounced Kelemourn, is a bastardization of Celeborn, the name of the Lord of Loth Lorien in J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.  I chose the name back in high school, and since an Elvish name is unique to the individual who bears it, Celeborn could not be reused, hence a slight tweak turning it into Celemourn.  I've stuck with it mostly out of force of habit, though it's recently led to people nicknaming me Kelly.  Which is pretty damned cool in and of itself.  The only problem is that anytime anyone sees "Celemourn", they always think "Celery".  Interesting fact: Almost every word in the English language that starts with 'ce' is pronounced with the soft c, rather than the hard c.  Every exception I've found has etymology directly linked to Celtic or Gaelic.

#68 Du5chl4mp3

Du5chl4mp3

• 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

It's a german pun ... it's as bad as my jokes and humour :D

#69 DeBlackheart

DeBlackheart

• 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

My username is actually the last name I use on all my characters. It started back on my first trip to virtual world in 1993 by my friends. They signed me up for a match, but they only used call signs. 2 days previous I had gotten a tattoo of a blackheart in remembrance of my grandfather and cousin who had died a year earlier. My family's last name is DeZonia, so they combined the De ( The ) with Blackheart ( for the tattoo ). Have been using it ever since. For my first name I use Xsareth. this was a total typo when I was making a mage on EQ. I was trying for Sareth (one of my favorite characters), and hadn't realized I had hit the X by accident. Once the character was created, I realized the mistake.  But after sounding it out, I liked the way the name sounded and have been using it as my primary name ever since.

#70 Papamaanbeer

Papamaanbeer

• 6 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

at the time i picked my name, i made it for use on social sites like twitter and such, i was looking to combine 2 words,

and there would be always one site where someone else already claimed that name,

so i decided to make it 3 words, and use Dutch, to get an unique name i could use every where, and  at the time i would mainly use it to communicate with dutch people annyway. (my gameing days where behind me or so i thought)

the words i picked and why, papa dutch or daddy, because i am a daddy and proud of it,

maan dutch for moon, that has to do with my sign, my sign is cancer, and the sign ruler is the moon.

beer dutch for Bear, because my girlfreind at the time used to call me that as a pet name 

now using it every where, i get alot of manbearpig, or people asking if im an old dude with a white beard. or just mentioning they like the beer part of my name. and even alot of the times people will read papamanbear and then start to appologise for reading it wong and. i get to tell them its acctually bear in dutch.

im getting used to be called "papa-man" or "man-bear, but there alsow are a alot of people that will say the full lenght of the name

fun fact, because i like to browse twich channels these confiusions about may name where so often for me i even made an explanation of my name on my twitch channel page.

i really liked to reading al of yours!  

#71 Sanya

Sanya

• 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Over the years ive went by a number of names:

Black51 - Came when i wanted to play an internet flash game and it was taken so i kept adding numbers until it worked, used it for Diablo, UT99, etc...

Techamon - Another flash game, but newer, probably something about Digimon came up to my mind when making it

Marked One - Current, use it on steam and most games, in honor of the STALKER series

SanyaLitvyak - Where everything else is taken, out if sheer amazement that an anime char has my name

Theres a bunch of names that ive used but stuck on Marked One since im using it since like 2009 and changing your name on the internet is like changing your face irl...

I know im boring Kappa

#72 Sargoreth

Sargoreth

• 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Way back in the day of JRPGs you could only have a five letter name, so I would use one that I made up and I thought sounded cool and elvish (being a big tolkein fan) I  just stuck consonants and vowels together to get Saren. In the early days of the net, it was easy to get this name on MUDs and the like, so i kept using it.

One of the MUDs I played on my job title was Sargent. People would tend to call me Sarge instead of Saren. A few years later, when things started to get more populated I had trouble getting my old name, and had to think of a new one. I didn't want to use Sarge as I have never served and didn't want to imply that I had. But when I was writing out the name I typed Sar..then the g and I stood staring at the screen with Sarg, then my fingers just hit or and I was left looking at Sargor which I didn't like, so I banged out eth to make it look a little more elvish and there ya go, Sargoreth. I have been using it for a long time now and I tend to get it so I've stuck with it. For short I go with Sarg (glottal stop after the G), and discourage people that make it sound like Sarge (soft G).

For alts I tend to roll girl characters with either elvish or very elvish sounding names like Elanoraen, Hiraviel, Cirathiel, etc. just because if you gotta stare at a booty while running around on a screen, might as well be one with nice curves and pretty clothes :D

#73 Trooper_Ish

Trooper_Ish

• 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Blimey, it's odd how easily we can change online names at a whim, but rarely choose to.

We kind of define them as we'd like to be seen, and over time, maybe finding ourselves a little defined by them?

For myself I was with a bunch of friends in college (Our equivalent of the Yanks' High school) when we needed names for IRC, probably 1999 ish?

Anyway we all used names derived from songs/ bands we liked at the time.

Unfortunately I found The Trooper (Iron Maiden- they're still Rockin) was taken, so added a personal touch with my nickname added to it.

Oddly I found over the years that I did end up drifting towards soldier sims and FPS's and the _Ish bit also seemed appropriate, not only the first letters of my Christian name but I always seemed to be generic, kinda jack of all trades, master of none? and .

As for the others in the group? They grew up, evolved their names and moved on to other interrests away from gaming. Quitters and girly light weights if you ask me...  :)

#74 FNGUS

FNGUS

• 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

finding a good character name is hard, especially when the one you wanted is already taken. decision decision decision . TBH its is harder than finding a name for your newborn - in which my wife has commented a few time lol

#75 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

Hmmm...I am trying to remember.  I went through a series of names before settling on "Cyber" which I think I picked simply because it sounded cool.

It was actually until later on that I learned that "cyber" had a euphimistic sexual connotation.  But then I decided I didn't mind at all :D

dbb-sig.png

#76 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

I've had a few over the years:

Cpacal: Runescape is really the only place I ever used this. I basically cut up my first and last name to make this one. But it was really the first so it deserves a mention.

Afagddu: The first character I made in WoW. A gnome rogue that I made as ugly as possible, then named him after a Welsh god who was the ugliest man in the world. Unfortunate that the name cuts down to Afag in chat though. I made a few characters based on names of obscure gods and goddesses.

Aejaz: Made a BE paladin in WoW and needed something that really fit with the spin jump and flowing locks. I figured that Aejaz fit perfectly. Been  using it ever since. This one came out of my own imagination, but I was taking Latin at the time which influence the use of Ae.

Keever: The only other name I may revisit at some point. I planned a full renegade playthrough of ME and landed on Keever as a particularly punchable name (I gave him a soul patch and a smug looking face). Unfortunately, I couldn't go through with the full renegade when I got to the Shroud in ME3. Keever was a jerk and self centered, but not a monster.

The Winslow: I use this one pretty much everywhere now (reddit, SC, and the minecraft forums as well). It comes from the Buck Godot comic. The Winslow is an immortal and indestructible being who only ever says one simple word at a time like "Hey," "Hi," "Moi?" or "Tickles."

#77 Plum

Plum

• 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

Usually my gaming name is UndeadPlum. I got the nickname Plum from a friend because my favorite color is purple,and then I just attached Undead to it for my Xbox Gamertag because Plum is always taken and I really liked zombies lol. So now it's become a lot of my gamertags ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users