• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Greeting New Followers!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BanditPants

BanditPants

• 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

This is not for everyone, but there are multiple ways to greet new followers and I will explain the methods I use, since I am yet to be partnered but love to make all my new members feel welcomed.

The first method is via my e-mail inbox. I link my follow notifications to my gmail, then keep the window open on a second monitor while I'm casting. When I see a new follow alert from gmail pop up, I can welcome the new follower.

The other method is a bit more flashy - a pop-up image welcoming the follower will come up on your OBS and can play a new follower sound. This can also be used for new subscribers as well (for partnered streamers)

I use twitch.tv/SubAlert for this (the download is in the profile description) - and I use the tutorial here for setting up the notification / custom graphics (chroma-key) and custom sounds for the alert. I used adobe photoshop for my graphic design work on my welcome image.

I hope this is helpful for anyone looking for a way to welcome new followers!

-Bandit

Streaming live every night at 10pm at twitch.tv/banditpants

Gamer, Musician, and dedicated broadcaster.

#2 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I've been also thinking about setting up a follower notification and I tried the SubAlert but it's super rough and didn't really work properly on my computer for some reason.

Here's couple other ones:

http://www.nightdev.com/followalert/

https://tnotifier.net/welcome

Been thinking about paying for a month to try out the Tnotifier myself.

Twitch - Twitter - Youtube - Steam

Blizzard games: Belannaer#2785

#3 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Yeah I'm using the one Bandit linked as well.  It's VERY finicky and buggy. Does weird, random things a lot. I got it to work but it's not as pretty as I'd like. Still a work in progress on my stream. I have followers in a minimalistic popup with just a little black bar with name in text and our Community logo next to it.

Eventually it gets difficult to say something to every follower. I've had days where I got over 500 followers in one 6 hour period of time and there's no way to keep track. It's also why I had to turn the e-mails from followers off.

#4 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Yep, I use the same follower alert, but a different donation alert.. The follower alert is a mess to deal with, but if you reset it every time AFTER you start your stream, it typically behaves..  I try to greet all new followers, so it's a really nice addon to have to the channel, despite its flaws.

#5 ThatAverageGuyMike

ThatAverageGuyMike

Advanced Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I also use Twitch Alerts on my stream - it works well for me. As long as you are using the IAmRaising link on your stream, the donation popup works wonderfully as well.

The Dev says you should probably use Screen Region Capture in OBS instead of Window Capture, or else you'll have to reset the windows every time you start your stream, as Nahku says.

#6 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Oh cool, good to know!  Thanks ThatAverageGuyMike :D

#7 BanditPants

BanditPants

• 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I agree with Wes that it isn't perfect, but I've been able to get it to a point where it gets the job done. It took some time to get it chroma-keyed properly and doing what I needed it to. The developers do continue to update the program regularly, so that is one great thing about it. Also, the fact that it is free is always a bonus. There are others out there, but since I've been able to get Sub Alert to work decently, I think I'll stick with it (in fear of breaking my alert system). 

I do notice that if it ever bugs, just a simple restart of the program has fixed the issue for me. I did make custom graphics and use a custom sound for mine, as the default sound was a bit annoying in my opinion.  :)

-Bandit 

#8 BanditPants

BanditPants

• 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I've been also thinking about setting up a follower notification and I tried the SubAlert but it's super rough and didn't really work properly on my computer for some reason.

Here's couple other ones:

http://www.nightdev.com/followalert/

https://tnotifier.net/welcome

Been thinking about paying for a month to try out the Tnotifier myself.

I've seen Tnotifier - and it looks very stable. The price per month is reasonable.

#9 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

I've seen Tnotifier - and it looks very stable. The price per month is reasonable.

Yeah, I'm going to give it a try this week to see how it is.

#10 belannaer

belannaer

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Tested out Tnotifier today for the first time and it works really well. Just doing the text notification bar with black box at the moment but you can somehow use graphics on it and you can also use whatever custom CSS you want on it. First impressions are pretty good.

#11 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Tested out Tnotifier today for the first time and it works really well. Just doing the text notification bar with black box at the moment but you can somehow use graphics on it and you can also use whatever custom CSS you want on it. First impressions are pretty good.

Yeah, the ability to add custom CSS sold me on it.  I signed up for a month to test it out.  It'd be nice to not have to run another standalone program, if it all works out.  

#12 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

The twitchalerts one just had an update and they added another donations site to the list of sites that it reads.

#13 Celemourn

Celemourn

• 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

I've been using NightDev's stuff for follows, donations, and twitch chat, and I've been pretty happy with them. They all require the CLR Browser plugin, which I use the 64bit version of with 64bit OBS.  One of the very nice things about NightDev's stuff is that you can do custom CSS like Nahku mentioned to fully customize the appearance.  I'm using the default settings for all of them, but they're pretty easy to tweak.  There is also a standalone donations app which tracks donations and modifies text files on your computer to reflect those changes. The text file are then easily imported into OBS.  Overall, his stuff has been completely hassle free for me since I started using it, with the exception of the chat module not always loading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users