• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Looking for a New Gaming Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeBlackheart

DeBlackheart

• 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hey everyone, my current MSI gaming Laptop is having some issues and I am currently looking to get a new one. In my line of work, I do a lot of traveling, so I am looking for something portable. My main concern at this point is finding a laptop that will be able to handle Star Citizen. Please send me some suggestions. Thanx - DeBlackheart

#2 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Current high-end desktops will barely run SC upon its launch (CR said that even GTX 770 will only be able to run SC at medium settings). I doubt you'll be able to find a laptop with better performance, especially at a decent price. If you really want a laptop that can run SC I'd definitely recommend you wait until 2015. I recommend that for desktops too though, no point in buying a PC for a game that won't be released for another year (and one that is aiming to use hardware that is not even in stores yet).

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#3 siralexlaw

siralexlaw

Advanced Member

• 48 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Morning, 

I opened up a thread with a laptop im considering buying. Kaldo is correct with the whole we don't know if it will handle SC but I'm willing to bet that there will many optimization patches for SC before release and willing to bet further that they will have a graphic setting to allow for low/medium range PCs as it is an MMO. Keep in mind most games that are in alpha/beta stages push your system harder as they are not optimized yet. With this in mind I'm sure that if you were to buy a laptop now it will likely be able to play SC with minimalist settings fairly easily.

#4 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• 80 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Ill start off with some back story real quick, my previous job I did a lot of traveling and I traveled often, I picked up an ASUS G60 something series laptop, after two deployments to Iraq the dang thing still works to this day its about 4-5 years old now but when it came to reliability nothing has ever come close. The newest version ASUS ROG G750JH has a i7 in it and an GTX 780m http://www.asus.com/...SUS_ROG_G750JH/ They are wroth every penny, and Asus customer support is fantastic not that I ever needed them, yeah this thing has never had any issue I upgraded RAM and HDD to SDD but thatd it. I cannot hype these machines enough. But if you wait a little until before launch Im sure there will be an even better model out there for you.

http://www.newegg.co...0140227205336:s

And God said:

"Let there be Airborne!" Saint Michael snapped to attention, and the heavens let out with a loud and thunderous ALL THE WAY!

#5 Kimera

Kimera

• 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'll recommend to always go for Descktop for gaming even if you are not overclocking, you can always upgrade any component by yourself, you can always do the internal cleaning by yourself to improve air flow, laptop requires a little bit more specialization to perform the same tasks, not to mention that desktop is cheaper.

ANd there is the incoming DDR4 memory:
 http://www.crucial.c...phic_online.pdf

Intel is going for 8 cores procesors and DDR4 memory mother boards:
http://www.anandtech...-cores-x99-ddr4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users