• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

This section needs more music!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

I will start, here's a vid from a dark corner of the web of a guy playing who you probably haven't heard of before unless you get into playing guitar. https://www.youtube....h?v=JE7eVfIAkkE

Died in a car wreck in 1997 he was one of the few musicians who shook things up and got people to thinking about an instrument that has been around for a long time in new ways. I have heard it said that he wasn't a guitar player he was a composer of music who chose guitar to be his medium for music delivery. He is also known for being a musician that used a harp guitar as seen here. https://www.youtube....h?v=jN3439l4HR0

Michael Hedges.

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

On the note of Guitarists - I am a fan of Ewan Dobson

and i love me some Lindsey Stirling

#3 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

ecator, that video was pretty unbelievable and it brings me back a bit to (college, I'm old) where I took my "ekoostik" name from..  Thank you for sharing that.  True talent, and an unfortunate end.    

and i love me some Lindsey Stirling

Lindsey Stirling is pretty amazing.. Here is an amazingly feelgood video:

#4 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

lol  im watching that one right now as a matter of fact.  (via the youtube playlist. )  just happened to see your post about it as it was playing.

#5 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

Yeah, that video has always had a huge effect on me, it's so good (all of hers are good, but that one makes me almost tear up)..  It's powerful.

#6 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

Anyone frequenting my stream will likely know I enjoy some good steampunk... Abney Park is one of my favorite bands in this aspect...  I'm not claiming they're musical geniuses (though I might think they are...), but I love their style. Here are a couple videos I recommend for something a bit different..  If you watch all 4 videos, I give you one internet cookie.

The Story That Never Starts:

Steampunk Revolution:

Evil Man:

Airship Pirate (one of my favorite songs ever, as simple as it may be, but a horribly old recording):

(edit: damn, this was supposed to be an edit on my original post, sorry :unsure:  )

#7 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

forgot about abney park.  not bad stuff.

#8 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

While we are on this kick... Let me introduce you to another obscure genre...

Chap Hop

Professor Elemental

and MR B

#9 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

Also...This Gem from the Electro Swing Genre -

Cissie Redgwick

heres a playlist with a bunch of swing songs. (including the one above.)

#10 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Lindsey Stirling is amazing. she is my favorite.

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#11 ecator

ecator

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationGreenville SC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

how could someone not like Lindsey Stirling? The violin is such a soulful instrument who's sound can carry so much feeling.  If you need some chill music I like bonobo.

Then there is this Joscho Stephan guy who appears to be a musical prodigy from Germany who went into some old school django inspired gypsy jazz music from the 30's.

If your in a slow, quiet contemplation kind of mood you can always rock some old jazz.

#12 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

My taste in music may be very different.

I like music if it's instrumental, mostly non-vocal, or using choir. There are exceptions.

But, I agree, Lindsey Sterling, nice music.

I like ambient, orchestral, contemporary, industrial, dubsteb can work if done right, and game music can be great.
I'm not much into the categorization of music, so I will not say much else. I tend to like tracked and sequenced stuff.

For one of the greatest audio-visual experiences, check out Animusic. I'd say that I love what they did there!

The best is saved for the end, but I like all of it. Enjoy over an hour of awesome!

I'm currently in the process of making some music, myself. It'll be sounds from machinery, metals clanging and impacting and whatnot.

I suppose it will be some kind of experimental, industrial, progressive, epic, ambient. Machine Music.

I'll even be using sounds like a falling tree, a chainsaw, a burning piano, electricity, and sci-fi sounds, as I'm creating a crazy sound library for this.

I might have some dubsteb, but I'll definitely do some ambient. I record my own sound when I can, but it's often easier to look for sounds on the net.

I spend much time looking for sounds of machines, clangs, hits and impacts, etc. and then restoring & nursing them up to a cinematic quality.

It's a very different kind of music, it'll have a very different and a distinct sound to it, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of similar music.

Would anyone be interested in hearing this music when it's done?

Perhaps no one else likes the music I do, but I definitely don't like a lot of what everyone else likes... there are exceptions. :/

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#13 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

I've been trying to find more computer game soundtracks, but no shops near me stock them. Are there good online retailers around? Classic FM did a 2 hour show of a full Orchestra playing a collection of computer game music and it was awesome. I need more.

PSN: MrLuchador
Steam: MrLuchador
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Mrluchador
XBL: LuckyMrLuchador

#14 SolarShockx

SolarShockx

• 3 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

I'm pretty into this band Caravan Palace right now, an Electro Swing band. Enjoy!

#15 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

I've been trying to find more computer game soundtracks, but no shops near me stock them. Are there good online retailers around? Classic FM did a 2 hour show of a full Orchestra playing a collection of computer game music and it was awesome. I need more.

Which kinds of game music do you like?

I don't know of any places where you can buy music. *chuckles* Well, I suppose ebay and amazon might have some music...

Like this one, http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/B000058A8F (best squaresoft prod if you ask me)

But...

What I do when I want some more computer game music: I actually extract the music from the game files, if I want the original music.

It depends on the techonology used. If it's an old DOS game, chances are good that it's right there in a tracked music format.
These are often custom formats used, however. But usually there's a programmer out there that has made a utility for it. :-)
Streamed music was eventually used even in DOS games.

If it's a more recent game, it's usually just mp3, ogg, mp2, or whatever. There are so many compressed formats now... :-(
Sometimes, you will find the music as "loose" files in the game directory if one exists, but usually it's packed away in a container file.
This container file might just be a zip or a rar if you are lucky, but it's usually a custom format either developed in-house or elsewhere.
Now, there are a bunch of different extraction tools for opening these kinds of files, but if you can't find it, searching longer, and asking, helps.

If it's a console game, the chances are good that it's actally a tracked music format, unless it's one of the more recent consoles like the xbox.
The playstation started using streamed music, so those can be very easy to pull right off a disc. But if it uses tracked music, a PSF rip might do.

When extracting music from a game using a custom packed and/or tracked format, reverse-engineering skill may be required if tool doesn't exist.

Game OSTs were printed and sold, but that music might not be the exact original as it can have more polyphony, altered instrument sound and usually fadeout applied to it, and some tracks may be missing, sometimes...

That is all the help I can give without knowing more.

Anyway, if it's about orchestra, then I'd recommend Distant Worlds, that is some Final Fantasy music. It's available on cd.

Although that is not original game music, it's probably the next best thing, and once you have the original and the orchestrated versions,
I'd possibly recommend listening to remixes, remakes, midi remakes, piano versions, and what not, for different sound and music.
Sometimes they sound great, sometimes they stink. :-)

Heh, didn't intend to write a book with this post. If anyone need any help with anything that I've talked about here, just ask, I'll see if I can't help.

In the end, I just buy the original game, new if possible, then I throw some tool at it, or spend an evening hacking away at it. :-)

I hope this post was useful. Hopefully I'm not being too pedantic, if that's a bad thing... :-P Well, I guess I am rather pedantic...

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#16 SquadWipe

SquadWipe

Advanced Member

• 44 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Okay well it just so happens that my cohorts and I are pretty active in the San Diego Music Scene. We are really pushing this Trap thing to the next level. We are actually partnered with http://www.thissongslaps.com so we do a lot of stuff with them.

At the same time we are really New Wave Retro or whatever it is called. That Cyber 80's stuff.

2011-04-01-trap-set.jpg

Not really trap but a good friend worked on this epic remix:

new_retro_wave_by_k4rlswede-d5sbhsf.png

And then there is Jasmine. This girl is; For. Real.
Jasmine-Thompson-image-jasmine-thompson-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msp2WlgoIUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwOYTt7Y-Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9JxAQqtxkg

#17 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

In the end, I just buy the original game, new if possible, then I throw some tool at it, or spend an evening hacking away at it. :-)

I hope this post was useful. Hopefully I'm not being too pedantic, if that's a bad thing... :-P Well, I guess I am rather pedantic...

It's food for thought, I'll see what I can do about this. It's a shame that so much of this music is hidden away, when in truth this music is probably our Generations 'Classical Music' in that it's full orchestral scores that are being overlooked because it's a 'computer game'. 

PSN: MrLuchador
Steam: MrLuchador
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Mrluchador
XBL: LuckyMrLuchador

#18 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Indeed.

There is a lot of good music, hidden away under archives and proprietary formats, but it's a nice little puzzle to solve sometimes...

Btw, this thread is loading slowly because of all the YouTube embeds...

#19 Kremmel

Kremmel

• 19 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

iamamiwhoami have been releasing some new videos lately so I thought I would post about it here if anyone is interested. I definitely recommend watching all their videos.

vista

If you want to go on a strange adventure and have an hour to spare you could watch their live performance. If you want to skip the driving part at the beginning not much happens, go to about 9:30.

Freelancer Kremmel

#20 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

Dammit Sqirl.....now I have Chap Hop on my ipod haha.

...nice find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users