• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Dragon Age: Inquisition

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

This is starting to look really good. I know a lot of people hated on Dragon Age 2, I still quite enjoyed it and am very excited for the last part of this trilogy.

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

Blizzard - Thatoldlimey#1530

#2 Patmelad

Patmelad

• 16 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Looks so Beautiful, I cant wait

#3 Nahku

Nahku

Advanced Member

• 303 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

It certainly does look nice.  The weather effects and trees look amazing.

#4 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

I could never get into 2. Is this a straight up continuation of the story line? I hate to have to play 2 to play this one :(

Origins is one of my favorite games ever.

#5 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

It's an all new story in the universe and not a literal linear follow on from 2. 

twitter - thatoldlimey - steam - twitternick - raptr - thatoldlimey - psn - kionee - xbox - thatoldlimey - flickr - kionee

#6 okiraan

okiraan

• 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

It looks good. I hope it's more like DA1 than DA2.  I greatly disliked DA2.

#7 thatoldlimey

thatoldlimey

Advanced Member

• 66 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

It'll be more like 1 I hope too. I know they've added a proper character creation back this time too, which pleases me greatly.

#8 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

I loved Origins but I also liked the second one... I guess I'm easy to please. I liked how your character built up from nobody to a major force/reputable member of the community in the city, it wasn't just the usual heroic stuff from one zone to the other. On the other side, I disliked repetitive zones (copy paste dungeons), multiple story arcs that seemed to have no connection to each other and I have to say, the characters in DA2 weren't as interesting as in the first one. It was still a good game and I played through it multiple times. 

In short, can't wait to see what they do with Inquistion. If they combine the best aspects of DA:O and DA2 it will be a great game.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#9 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Oh, another dragon age game. :-)

Dragon Age: Origins was great. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I think.

Seems like a franchise milking excercise tho. I would have been fine with just the first game, tbh.

I'd be more interested in a game with far more game depth, a complex crafting system and a complex character building system.

...And a complex modding system. :-D

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#10 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

hype hype hype

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#11 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

So, anyone got the chance to play it yet? I'm already hearing some comments on the game, seems it was released today/yesterday to some people. Any first impressions from the Romantics?

#12 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

So, anyone got the chance to play it yet? I'm already hearing some comments on the game, seems it was released today/yesterday to some people. Any first impressions from the Romantics?

Edit: added some updates. I'm now at over 40 hours, have seen more of the story, and have seen more zones.

Edit 2: I've finally completed the game. 111 hours according to origin (though probably 20 or so of those were spent in the multiplayer). I think the main story was a bit weak at the end of the game and the final missions were not as interesting as some of the previous ones. However, it was still a lot of fun and I highly recommend the game. The multiplayer is also quite a bit of fun. Towards the end, my character got insanely OP though. Tanks eventually take 0 damage and I got skills on my armor that gave me a 5% chance to become immune to all damage for 3 seconds on hit and a skill on my weapon that gave me 25% of the damage on hit back as health. Needless to say, I didn't heal my character once for any fight once I got those.

I may have 26 hours in the game already (benefits of a funky work schedule)...I will also preface this by saying I enjoyed DA2 in spite of it's flaws.

Inquisition is very good. But let's break it into spoiler free sections shall we?

World: I'm maybe halfway through the main storyline and have seen almost nothing of the world so far. I'm 90% complete with the first large zone you enter and maybe 60% through one of the smaller zones with less than 50% on another medium sized zone and maybe 10% on another good sized one. There are still 4 or 5 zones I haven't even been to at this point (and quite possible more will be unlocked in the future). The zones have tons of things to explore, do, and read. They also look quite different and have their own personality and pressing issue for you to fix.

One really interesting thing is that you have to be careful what you fight. There were a couple times where I wandered into an area of the map only to realize that all the enemies were twice my level! The time I wandered into a dragon's territory and found out he was level 12 (I was no more than level 7) was bad news. In fact, he managed to 2 shot every member of my group before I had made it 10 feet. I still have to go back there.

Update: it's still getting better and better. Each zone has something new and cool to look at. The ones that are similar are all unique enough to still be interesting and they always have something that makes me stop and just stare at it, like coming over a ridge and seeing a castle or a dragon flying around in the background, etc.

Story: Very good. Not going to go into much more detail as I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't cause some sort of spoiler. There have been a few moments where you have to make difficult decisions (that also change the events a good amount) and everything is hinting that there are more to come. Of course, not having played the other side of the choice, I can't say how much of a difference there could be.

Update: It's freaking awesome! More cool things have happened, and more choices where I sit there for a few minutes before I can decide!

Characters: One of the companions is incredibly annoying to talk to (though they are getting a bit better) and the rest are fantastic. There is a ton of dialogue between party members as well and it is wonderful. They also do a pretty good job of making characters have depth. I'm waiting to see how much unique dialogue you can get however; since I have completed a fairly small portion of the main story, I haven't seen a ton of unique one-on-one dialogue even though I have played for a long time.

It's also nice they allow you to choose between 2 voices for your character (oh, and the customization is wonderful).

Update: and they just keep getting better! The one I can say now that there is quite a lot of dialogue and potential side quests! The annoying companion is also tolerable at this point.

Gameplay: I was doing another run through DA: Origins before this and it took a while to get used to the new system. Now that I have however, it's gotten a lot more fun. I'm playing through on hard as a tank and it has been interesting getting used to the new mechanics of building "guard" which absorbs all damage. It's also very interesting handling how healing works now. Mages are no longer healers, just a support class, so you have to rely on a limited number of health pots (start off with 8 for the whole group and can upgrade that number a bit). You can also add more potions/grenades to each individual character (for healing, mana, buffs, or aoe damage). You have 2 slots to start with and can upgrade to a third as needed.

You can also resurrect people during a fight (mages have a spell that can do it, otherwise you hold down the mouse as you "revive" them). Tanks are also the only ones who can really take a beating and not die. You will burn through potions extremely quickly if your mages, rogues, and 2h warriors get hit (when fighting people at or above your level, around 3 hits will kill non-tanks).

Overall, it is less tactical than Origins, more tactical than DA2, and quite a bit of fun. The tactical camera seems to work fairly well, but I haven't used it a huge amount (oh, it's also the only way you can point and click to move people).

Update: Far more tactical and satisfying now I have some more skills and a better grasp on the game. I've gotten a lot better at tanking as well. Fought a dragon solo and managed to take off 50% of his hp by myself basically without being damaged. He still destroyed me of course as I was not prepared but it shows that if you really focus on what you are doing, tactics can get you a long way. Still a bit wonky using the tactical camera (you can't strafe with 'A' and 'D' when holding the right mouse button down like you can outside that mode which makes it feel far clunkier than it is).

Beautification: Graphics and sound are fantastic. It's a beautiful game. I'm running it on a 7950 on high with a few med settings (no AA) at 50-60 fps normally (drops to 40 or so in heavily populated areas) and it still looks great. I should mention, I'm currently downloading the latest drivers so that should help.

The one thing you do have to do though (on PC) is go into the origin folder and rename the Achievemant sound file so it won't play. It's loud, a terrible noise, and there is no way to turn it off in the origin's settings.

In the first mission I just paused the game and spun the camera around for ages looking at all the snowflakes that were frozen in the air.

Update: With the new drivers I bumped up the AA to the lowest level (it's really noticeable when off) and getting around the same framerate although I now have some hitching occasionally (though overall it's still very smooth). Have noticed a few wonky animation (mouths not really moving right and I'm pretty sure they copied some animations from Mass Effect because they are identical). Still loving it and spend a lot of time just looking at the sights though.

Conclusion: So, if you are looking for a well done Bioware RPG with a giant world to play around in, this is a must buy. The weakest part of the game so far is the combat; it's still fun, but I feel like it is a bit more chaotic as a tank than I expected and I'm not sure I have entirely figured it out yet.

Update: This has surpassed my expectations. It's definitely one of Bioware's best games.

#13 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Damn man, now I'll have to get it :D I'm travelling home this weekend so I won't have a chance to play anything (will only have my laptop there) but once I'm back, I'll probably get it. Thanks for the detailed review, I'm very happy it's a good game. It means I haven't been hyping myself for nothing :D

edit: Watched Wes' stream a bit yesterday, it looks great. The environments are really well done. Didn't want to watch it for too long because I didn't want to spoil the game for myself though... first world problems.

#14 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

Awesome Winslow. Thanks for posting that review.

I've only been able to play it for about 6 hours so far and I hate that I can't do more yet. I can generally tell if I think a game is great within the first hour or so and this game already had me hooked at about 3 hours played. I can't wait to get back into it. For the record, I didn't even like DA2 at all and it was mostly because of the weird combat after coming from Origins. I put around 200 hours into Origins and beat every DLC and completely just about everything in the whole game. One of my favorite games of all time.

This game so far has the makings of a great game. It's not the strategy game that DA:O was, that's true. It's something else though and it's an excellent Bioware game for sure.

#15 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

This game so far has the makings of a great game. It's not the strategy game that DA:O was, that's true. It's something else though and it's an excellent Bioware game for sure.

I thought the same thing until I fought my first dragon. The thing massacred me multiple times before I figured out a good tactic and killed it. I was a few levels higher than it, had the 60% flame resist potions, and still had difficulty. Didn't have as much trouble with a boss since I played the Golems of Amgarrak DLC on instanity for DA:O. I've fully completed 3 zones at this point (I think) and I'm pretty sure the next main mission is my last one (at least the mission text seems to indicate that it is). Of course, I want to keep playing the zones as I have something like 5 more to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users