• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Voice Communication Preference (Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble) Poll Inside

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: What Voice Communication Client do you use/prefer? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What Voice Communication Client do you use/prefer?

1. Teamspeak (37 votes [78.72%])

Percentage of vote: 78.72%

2. Ventrilo (6 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. Mumble (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DekkoCards

DekkoCards

Administrator

• 285 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hey folks,

Dekko here, creating a post to ask our viewing and gaming community members what voice over internet (VoIP) software they use and prefer. Currently we have a 50 slot Teamspeak server that is dedicated to the community and allows all our members the ability to join in for free.

I've talked to many people in the community, specifically other gamers, and the opinion on which client they prefer to use has varied. The more dedicated gamers seemed to lean towards Ventrilo, while some brought up the fact that Mumble has become preference. Plenty of people still prefer Teamspeak, and have been using it daily for quite some time.

I'm creating this poll just as a consensus on what people seem to use. This is solely for my own personal curiosity and doesn't necessarily mean that we'll be changing our current set up based on the poll results. I'm looking to see where our community stands and what they use.

Please leave comments on why or if you prefer one over another and note if you'd be more inclined to join our community voice server if it was the one of your preference. Thanks!

#2 MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

Advanced Member

• 140 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

When I first started really playing games on PC I preferred to use Ventrillo as my main VOIP because it was simple and I didn't really try anything else at the time because I am usually stubborn when applications that I use and very picky about them as well. I used vent for a few years and then decided to give Teamspeak a shot when I began competitive Battlefield on PC a couple years back and I had no choice because the group I played with was going to ONLY use Teamspeak then, so I adapted to it and I am glad that I did. Teamspeak is very easy to keep everything organized and make it look clean, also being able to store files in specific channels and so on is a nice feature which I tend to use quite a bit when doing administrative tasks.

In my opinion, I feel that Teamspeak is the best VOIP solution for games out there who are just casually gaming with groups of people and especially competitive people/groups. I mean if you are not going to be talking to a lot of people then just use Skype or something like that, but I prefer Teamspeak for all occasions just because of how well it is.

I am not going to talk about Mumble because I have only used it once and I absolutely hated it so that is enough of that.

#3 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I've mostly used Ventrilo and it worked fine. My group recently switched to Mumble and while the overall quality might be better, I absolutely hate that I can't manually set individual volume for participants - unless everyone perfectly adjusts their microphones, it's always either too loud or too quiet.

As for the teamspeak, I have to admit I haven't used it as extensively so I can't compare them.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#4 PCX64

PCX64

Advanced Member

• 65 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

It's TeamSpeak, of course! The only thing that has worked properly, and has a proper push-to-talk feature. Just missing a loopback feature for recording my own voice while playing with others and doing recording, so that I'm recorded the way another player would hear me on TeamSpeak, and with no background noise. Currently, I log in twice - two accounts, so that my voice is bounced back and recorded.

Also, TeamSpeak uses a plugin system, and it does have a lot of configurability, which is a must-have. And TeamSpeak tends to work well, portably.

It's usually the game itself that tends to be the flaw when I want to record myself and the game as well, as games tend to use the primary audio device instead of an arbitrary one, but TeamSpeak supports any arbitrary audio device just fine, so I end up toggling primary device when I need to record the game and myself, simultaneously - one channel is the game, while the other channel is the loopback TS, I mix these and record the mix, using the DxTory screencapture software.

I have tried Ventrilo and that was the worst thing I've had.

Mumble wouldn't run at the time I tested that, but that is perhaps better nowadays.

Stay romantic, be nice, forgive the flawed person, and render humility. I put my trust in people, that means you. Nothing is gained if you squander that.

#5 pitvipers

pitvipers

• 15 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

in my WoW time i've used all kinds of programs to talk with people while either raiding or RPing or whatever really, 
i'd say right now teamspeak has my preference, i've got a hosted server of my own wich i use for people i know irl to just hop in and talk while i play game, 
i do like most of the other options tho

Youtube: n00bg0n31337 (not that i post vids or anything xD)
steam: Pitvipers

#6 Grey_dybbuk

Grey_dybbuk

Advanced Member

• 35 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Teamspeak is the only one I've had much experience with, but I am certainly willing to try others if people want to. I don't have a lot of experience with VOIP in general, but when I have, it's usually been TS. Currently I can't use it because the mac airbook I'm borrowing from a family member has a weird glitch with TS that the devs apparently haven't fixed despite it being around for a while, so I can't participate at the moment.

#7 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have no preference, I'll use whichever one I need to use. Personally don't see the difference between them. 

PSN: MrLuchador
Steam: MrLuchador
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Mrluchador
XBL: LuckyMrLuchador

#8 Alysianah

Alysianah

Advanced Member

• 61 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Have used them all and Mumble is definitely the one I didn't care for at all.

#9 YsFanatic

YsFanatic

• 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Normally my friends and I just use Skype or Google Hangouts for voice communication, but as far as this poll is concerned I prefer Teamspeak.  Ventrilio flat out refuses to work with my microphone and I've never used Mumble.

#10 rayman86

rayman86

Advanced Member

• 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Teamspeak is my least favorite, and no preference between Mumble and Ventrilo.

#11 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

I think Skype would be the last one I used, since you know the internet says Skype sells your phone calls to the NSA. NSA knowing the innner workings of my fruit buying habits, and how I tend not to buy Apples as it gives me really bad toilet issues... how embarrassing. 

PSN: MrLuchador
Steam: MrLuchador
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Mrluchador
XBL: LuckyMrLuchador

#12 Kimera

Kimera

• 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

After Using all 3 of them with more than 25 people in the same channel, I can say that:
Mumble works the best, it has the least amount of delay, and all the fancy features of the other two options. When you play games with friends you do not want any lag, I also love the in game overlay options.

#13 TheMiningMinor

TheMiningMinor

• 8 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I personally lean towards TeamSpeak. I once tried out Mumble when I got a server with my website subscription, and couldn't get it working at all. If I'm just talking to someone one-on-one, I'll use Skype, but for groups of people, TeamSpeak is my personal choice. Easy to set up and manage, and the overall quality is good from my experiences.

Don't really have an opinion either way for Ventrilo since I've never used it.

#14 Shiftless

Shiftless

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

You can do a lot with the Teamspeak API to open up channel permissions etc. based of of permissions granted on a website etc.  All automated and stuff.  Same thing with Mumble, but the client is more than horrible.

#15 Knighthawke

Knighthawke

• 8 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Guys  .... With Arena Commander coming on-line, do we have voice set up yet?  ... I don't really care which, but it sure would be nice to be up and running when we start dogfighting.  (my apologies if we already have one  ... but I couldn't find a reference on our website)

#16 Ugarte

Ugarte

• 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Check out this thread under announcements for the teamspeak server details:

http://wearetheroman...amspeak-server/

#17 Papamaanbeer

Papamaanbeer

• 6 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

i just use teamspek because its the most common, and had no problems while using it, so no need to use something else

#18 FNGUS

FNGUS

• 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

TS3 - but it will depend on the group that i'm playing with. got my own server and hosting the ts3 there. now that ts3 not processing the NPL license anymore i'm stuck with the 30+ user cap .

does getting the paying license worth it?

#19 Cyber

Cyber

Advanced Member

• 36 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Of those three, TS3, although personally my favourite VOIP service is GameVox.  It is still in beta and being fleshed out, but already it is really good in my opinion.  I have a 200-slot server if anyone ever want to check it out.

dbb-sig.png

#20 Zocawi

Zocawi

• 10 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

I am familiar with both Teamspeak and Ventrilo, but I prefer Ventrilo due to the ability to tweak and normalize volumes of folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users