People might be waiting until release for the bigger ships? To see how it pans out with travel and the level of safety. In EVE I have a T2 transport ship that barely sees the light of day. The cost of losing it is too high and insurance doesn't begin to cover it. Before deciding if I want to go that route in SC, I need to see how the combat and PVP mechanics play out. Others might be in a similar mindset.
Exactly this. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty expensive constantly using those huge ships. You know pirates will be everywhere when the game starts up and small, cheap, plentiful pirate ships will have an advantage for a while.
The Idris is big enough now for a medium sized Organization to LIVE on it. It's going to be a nightmare losing those considering you typically just get the hull back and not all the modules you put in it. It really depends on WHERE you use it too. There is such a thing as non-insurable space in the game. Also as the security level goes down the farther out you go from the UEE, the less insurance will cover and the more it costs. I foresee a ton of these massive "starting" ships just floating around the UEE headquarters for a while lol.
Cargo ships all told we have a ton. The Aurora is even a cargo ship and can carry a decent sized load and do it cheaply. Then we have 48 total Freelancers, Constellations, Starfarers, Merchant, Retaliator, Caterpillar AND Cutlasses. All of which have cargo bays/space. That's just what people have reported. I have probably 10 more ships that are Retaliator/Caterpillar size or bigger for giveaways that I haven't added to the list.
But anyway, if you go by cargo sizes that we know of:
- 5 Starfarers = 375 tons (75 each)
- 37.5 Auroras = 375 tons (10 each and we don't know how much the BIG storage will hold exactly)
- 100 Auroras = 1,000 tons
- 246 Auroras = 2,460 tons
- 12 Avengers = 120 tons (10 each)
- 10 Cutlass = 100 tons (10 each)
- 19 Freelancers = 380 tons (20 each)
- 14 Connies = 490 tons (35 each) (Chris stated these are the Millennium Falcons of SC. Do everything decently ships. Cargo is a thing they do.)
- 5 Retaliators = 150 tons (30 each)
- 4 Caterpillars = 80 tons (20 each)
- 3 Idris = 300 tons (100 each)
- 5 Banu Merchant ships = We don't know yet. My guess is somewhere between the Freelancer and the Starfarer. Probably 50 or 60 tons each?
The mercantile specific ships:
- 5 Starfarers = 375 tons
- 19 Freelancers = 380 tons
- 5 Banu Merchant
- xx Auroras = 375 tons - 2400 tons. I imagine just about everyone will have an Aurora at some point after Squadron 42 ends.