• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Hardware Upgrades

HardwareAdvice Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beelzeblob

beelzeblob

• 22 posts
  • LocationClemson, SC

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hey guys.

I built a computer in the end of 2012 and I've been thrilled with my rig ever since, but I'm starting to itch to upgrade some of it. However, I don't really know too much about what component is better and why. I've been looking at lots of articles and posts online, but I thought I'd also ask around here for some opinions tailored to my build.

Here is a link to my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pFSY

I've got a few questions that I'd love any response to, and I'm also open to any comments on anything if you have a specific opinion on it. First, is it worth it to get an aftermarket CPU cooler? I'm not overclocking, so the one included has been serving me fine, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade or not. Second, where is my bottleneck? I definitely want to upgrade before SC fully releases, but I've been having no issues with the Hangar or running Skyrim with 40+ mods. Should I invest in a larger SSD? Mines only 128G, which feels a bit cramped.

Hopefully I'm not spamming you guys with stupid questions, and again any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#2 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Well, if you aren't going to overclock your cpu, you shouldn't really need an aftermarket cooler. In fact, the real benefit of getting the i5 3570k vs the 3570 is that the l version allows for overclocking (and it costs a bit more). Is there any reason you don't want to overclock?

That's the only thing that really stands out to me.

#3 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

see i disagree with Winslow on the aftermarket cooler. for 30-40 you can get a decent aftermarket and i recommend that you use one if you will be doing some decent amounts of gaming. it will prolong the life of your cpu and mobo as well as your gpu with the extra airflow to help cool that off. even if you dont overclock. (plus they are also easier to clean then market ones imo) i have a push pull set up with a 120 and 140 fan and my rig stays cool even on hot days at my house. though its a freakin HUGE ASS COOLER! that was a pain to get in lol but it was worth it. i put in a smaller single fan 120 in my hubs computer and it helps his out alot better then his market one was.

with your ram by the looks of it it has a larger heat sleave on it so make sure that the height will clear your gpu or your fan (if you get aftermarket cooler that is, if not you can ignore my ram suggestion) otherwise i do recommend the corsair ballistix sport or tactical, they also have heat sleaves but are lower profile then some others on the market. with the psu I would say that having a 750 is a little excessive and that unless you plan on adding a second gpu and more drives (like a second ssd or something) i would back off to a 650w. it will give you the power you need plus some.  the one i am using is the xfx pro650w core edition +80 bronze atx (P1650SNLB9) its a nice heavy psu that is semi modular so cable management is a ton easier with it and i believe it has a 1-5 year replacement guarantee on it by the company.

I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users