• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Joystick Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm think of picking up a Joystick for the imminent release of the dog fighting module. I have never used one before but am tempted by something like the SAITEK X52 (http://www.saitek.co...llery/x52_2.jpg). Would love to hear your personal recommendations!

#2 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

That one looks nice. I have a ST290pro I bought at good will for $5. Ideally I will probably end up with something like the Saitek x52 but since I've spent  $642 on Star Citizen and upgrading my machine, I don't have a budget for peripherals just yet.  I will probably be doing dual $5 goodwill joysticks until I have more cash for these things. On the priority list first is track IR. By the time I'm ready to buy the Saitek x52 I may be comfortable with two joysticks....

This episode of Tales of Citizen show goes really in depth into Star Citizen peripherals and was very informative for me.  It is an hour and a half long.. not quite as to the point as Wes I'll admit.

#3 Icidian

Icidian

Advanced Member

• 37 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Do we know what the developers are using?

"In valor there is hope."

#4 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

I believe a lot of them are using game pads but from my understanding the reason is to show off the 3rd person view and not as much for performance.

#5 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the link ULfberht.

Didn't realise people have already invested so heavily in SC. What did you spend it on if you don't mind me asking?!I think I'm going to wait until the dogfighting module is out to see if i really need the extra control and precision. After watching quite a few videos it does seem the majority of the devs have been using game pads.

#6 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Most of the $680 was on computer hardware to get up to snuff with playing the game. I bought a MB, Ram, and an AMD 8350 processor. I was blue screening at times so I bought a liquid cooler for the processor. That's about $445 for those items. Some other costs are a case which I owe a good friend for but he won't take my money, and at least $10 worth of goodwill joysticks.

As far as SC I bought the Freelancer physical package, an Aurora for one of my sons, and a centurion subscription. I am likely to buy an Avenger before it's all said and done. I have two sons so I will probably need to buy him something at one point but he didn't ask for a make believe digital spaceship for Christmas :).

I'm very excited for this game. I had begun the process of designing one like it many times since playing privateer in the 1990s. I am over joyed to be able to focus on playing the game. I never wanted to make it, only play it. I can only imagine what it would have cost me if this hadn't come along and I had ever gotten anywhere with that project. Much more in time and money and while it may have been an Ok game someday, it wouldn't have been Star Citizen in scope or quality obviously.

Star Citizen has all the Assets I would need to build what I had in mind only better. If I win the lottery and have some time maybe I'll make a personal server customized to what I had in mind. I really wouldn't be changing a whole lot.  

#7 Erukul

Erukul

• 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

The x52 is a decent HOTAS, but not great. I have modded mine over the years, stiffer spring ,hall sensor mod, silicone lube, rubber bands in order to get decent control.

I would not recommend this HOTAS. It is 'touchy' and works better for vintage flight simulators , bad for space sims. The x52 pro is not much of a step up. The immersion factor is lost due to the clunky throttle and inaccurate stick. Modding makes it acceptable but not worth the effort/time/cost these days.

Logitech 3d extreme is better out of the box minus separate throttle body. Get a Rhino x55 if you need a HOTAS in the x52 price range. My x52 is somewhere in a box.

Most important peripheral is my IR tracker.

#8 Ulfberht

Ulfberht

Advanced Member

• 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hey thanks for the feedback Erukul. I'm much obliged. I'll very likely take your recomendation.

#9 Icidian

Icidian

Advanced Member

• 37 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Ugh, I'm definitely going to avoid a gamepad.

I think I'll start with something like this out of the gate and upgrade depending on how the game comes together:

Mad Catz FLY5 stick for PC $60

41osKl9NFIL.jpg

"In valor there is hope."

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Honestly I would start out with the Thrustmaster T.1600m. It uses the same Hall Sensors as the $400 Warthog that I have and is an excellent stick to start out with. It's under $50 most of the time.

#11 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for all the information guys - given me a lot to think about. Going to hold out until iv tried out the first module and then check out some of the sticks you've recommended.

#12 Haversack

Haversack

• 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

I've borrowed a friend's Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS  and have been testing it in Elite Dangerous. I have honestly gone back to a gamepad(xbox 360) till I can get the correct mapping on the Thrustmaster.

My issue with the Thrustmaster is that the default mapping for strafing or for vertical movement. The thing that I would use for that is the single hat on the joystick is mapped to the headlook. I think if I had TrackIR I could redo the bindings without feeling like I am missing a good feature.

Till then I have completely remapped my xbox controller to give me most everything I want except better throttle control. The 2 triggers are a poor substitute for an actual throttle.

**Edit** 

I think I may go with this. http://www.razerzone...azer-sabertooth

It may have enough buttons for what I need while being close to what I am already using for Elite. I'll wait to try what I have on AC first though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users