• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

long overdue pc upgrade questions?

computer upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OctainX

OctainX

Advanced Member

• 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

My goal is to play star citizen modules and a decent frame rate.
My current computer is quad core q6600 2.4 gigahertz, 4 gigs of ram at 800ns,Radeon 6790 with 1GB,27" 1920x1080 22" 1600x1050, windows 8.1 pro, asus P5K-E.
My upgraded computer parts are I5-2400 3.4 ,asus p8z68-m pro,looking to upgrade ddr3 memory to 16 GB. I'm going to Limp by with my video card and hard driver until the end of this year.

My questions for this great community are;
#1 Before I start upgrading I would like to benchmark my current system? I want to know where i have bottlenecks. (Something free)
#2 Will I have to format my hard drive to upgrade my motherboard, ram and CPU?
#3 Will my AMD Radeon 6790 1gb be able to run arena commander / dfm?

Thank you in advance for any assistance or recommendations !!

#2 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

hmm your gpu should work for now, i am not sure on free benchmark programs but a quick google search might yield good results. And as for the hardrive I believe that with changing the Mobo you will have to however you wont have to with a ram increase but since you are changing your mobo then yes. seeing as you have W. 8.1 pro at least the OS portion of the reformat wont pose as a problem since you probably have a backup disc or can re'DL it from the windows site (dbl check that though) but yes you will have to reformat. And also what are you using for a heatsink/cpufan? I would recommend go with aftermarket since you will be gaming. check out the cooler master hyper evo 212 and the 212 plus. they are less the $40 and on the smaller side so it should fit in your case (check the dimensions though to be sure, i added one to my husbands acer desktop and it "fit" but the side panel is pushed out due to the tips of the copper pipes lol) the evo 212 will fit your I5 or even a amd if you switch cpus later on.

I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

#3 DragonKitty

DragonKitty

Advanced Member

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

OH i was going to say that pcpartspicker.com has a benchmark if i remember right. it should all be free to use also

I do not mean to offend, but I can not honestly say I really care if I do or not....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users