• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

VoiceAttack

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi everyone.

I may be a little late to the party but I have just stumbled across a piece of software called VoiceAttack - it has so much potential and has already changed the way I play the game. See the video below for a quick example of it in use with the dogfighting module:

You can programme your voice commands to do a whole bunch of stuff all with responses from your computers A.I (Microsoft text to speech voice). Not only is this helping my flying but also adding in a whole new dimension for role playing and immersion. If anyone is interested in using but needs help setting it up, please don't hesitate to send me a pm and i will see what I can do!

#2 Mikcoon

Mikcoon

Advanced Member

• 69 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I thinks this program could be a total game changer. However I also see it being a bannable offense in the future. This system really just needs to be built in.

Somone said "Internet spaceships are more important than life and death to you" and I said "Listen, its more important than that"

#3 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

I can see it being used for some rare commands like toggling landing gears, ship lights or activating autopilot. I don't trust it enough to use it in combat though :D

I never had much luck with voice recognition and you never know when an important command (like deploy countermeasures/fire missile) won't go off because it didn't recognize a word.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#4 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

It would be interesting to see CIG's take on this, as to whether or not they would ban this 3rd party software. Granted as mentioned it could be used for minor commands etc, and also for those who are physically challenged who do need voice recognition software for various tasks. Even the poor old K/board & Mouse pilots who cant afford a tricked out HOTA's would like it.

The only thing I see being an issue is if CIG start to allow 3rd party software, how they will control it's implementation and use. Unchecked it opens the floodgates for "aimbots" and such.

But it looks and sounds awesome, and if it is only a way of running macros that require only "one" keyboard command such as lights or counter measures, than that's fine, rather than "targetmostpowerfull,lock&firemissiles,targetclosest,lock&firemissiles,dobarrelroll"

...and would be cool, to be screaming "EJECTEJECTEJECT" rather than try to remember which button I need to press.....and as long as I don't hit my head on the canopy on the way out like "Goose" it should be all good..

#5 Spacepope

Spacepope

• 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

At the moment I have it programmed in so when I yell "Eject Eject!" the A.I replies with "Gods speed" and Monty Pythons always look on the bright side of life starts playing as I get flung out into space. Never fails to amuse me and its ability to stack multiple commands successfully is fantastic.

Personally I'm using it for basic commands like those aforementioned ( lights, camera change, cycle HUD display) and saving the important stuff such as target lock and weapons firing for myself. I feel it would be such a shame if something like this was banned although I can see how it would potentially be abused. I have seen VoiceAttack implemented in a wide variety of other games so even if it does get banned I think I will be able to find lots of other uses for it!

#6 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

I know that GW2, for example, forbids any kind of scripts which gives unfair advantage to the player, or simulates more than one keystroke per user input. This means you're not allowed to press 1 key and have the script press 10. I can only see the second one being a problem if CIG decides to implement similar rules, but honestly... I think this is just too cool for CR to ever ban someone for using it. It also doesn't give any advatage, if anything it's a disadvantage because it takes a longer time to say a sentence out loud than it is to press a key.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#7 WildCard

WildCard

Advanced Member

• 124 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

Indeed, would be handy for those people using Occulus...

#8 Erukul

Erukul

• 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

I love Voice Attack and it's only 8 dollars.  It is so handy using voice commands for programs and games that have a lot of controls and I especially love putting in custom responses to the commands I want confirmationm where executed.

With track IR i don't have to ever take my hands off my HOTAS in Elite D if I dont want too, I dont even use most of my HOTAS bound commands, because of Voice Attack.

Really adds to the immersion, so I can only imagine how cool it would be with Occulus.

Especially when I hear my ship reply "Aye commander, Second Star to the Left. Prepare for Ludicrous Speed...." before  it engaes my hyper jump.

#9 elvismiggell

elvismiggell

Advanced Member

• 42 posts
  • LocationLingfield, UK

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

I watched someone using this with Elite D and I have to say it looks awesome.

At some point I'll probably get it and give it a try.  Like others I suspect it will be for less essential commands - "next target" rather than "fire missile"!

#10 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

CIG actually has responded about Voice Attack and similar programs. They're interested in it so much they're actually looking to see if it would be possible or time conducive to add this functionality into the game by default.

#11 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I actually don't think adding it into game code is a good idea... It's much harder to update it that way, the CIG has to maintain it and make sure it actually works after each patch and it will probably be more difficult to customize it (copyright issues when adding audio files, interaction with other applications like chrome...). There's already a new app that has states in it (that way you can track if you already deployed landing gear, for example, and the program can say 'retracting' or 'deploying' based on that value).

There will be a ton of software like that due to the new voice recognition API. The community as a whole also has much more time to work on it compared to CIG and will probably come with even better ideas and implementation with time. It's like the voice chat in EVE - nobody uses it since you have much better options like TS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users