• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

TheWinslow's Game Project

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Amazing!

Not sure what your longterm aims are for this, Winslow, but I'll be investing in a Steam Greenlight pass very soon. So if you want to go down that route feel free to use it, pretty sure I have on you on Steam if you want to discuss it. 

Mainly I just can't wait to play the bloody game!

PSN: MrLuchador
Steam: MrLuchador
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Mrluchador
XBL: LuckyMrLuchador

#82 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

Amazing!

Not sure what your longterm aims are for this, Winslow, but I'll be investing in a Steam Greenlight pass very soon. So if you want to go down that route feel free to use it, pretty sure I have on you on Steam if you want to discuss it. 

Mainly I just can't wait to play the bloody game!

Well thanks! I want my game to at least be technically sound, even if it turns out not to be fun to play...

Longterm aim? Finishing! Eventually I will run into problems as there is no way I can do the VA for the game (I did some really crappy recordings just so I could make sure my cutscenes work...hard boiled detective I am not) and I'm pretty sure I will need to hire someone to finish off the artwork as I'm almost certainly not going to be able to do the artwork for the cutscenes. That means, I need to basically finish the game then try my luck with kickstarter or find someone good enough who is also willing to do the work for a share of the profits.

But yea, I will definitely keep the offer of Greenlight in mind! If it's good enough, I plan to sell it.

In terms of wanting to play the game, I'm going to try and get a fairly polished tutorial level out as a demo in the next few months.

In other news though, casings now bounce off walls!

#83 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

I give you the first line of my game. This line is not completely final, but is the closest thing I have to finished in the script:

"October 14, 1959. According to the temperature, summer had finally ended. It was a calm, perfect autumn day that set you at ease like the Devil’s smile."

I've also been prototyping a Journal so that you can go back and look at the clues that you have found over the course of the game. As well as creating the potential for little historical notes I can make during the game. For instance, 1959 had a hot fall, with October 14th being the first day in weeks where the temperature dropped below 70 (there were a couple days in September where it was around 65) in NYC.

#84 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:08 AM

Journal would be great, especially for a detective/film noir approach. 

#85 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

Happy New Year!

Journal would be great, especially for a detective/film noir approach. 

Ask and ye shall receive (aka, I was already working on it).

I've been working off a laptop that can't hold any battery charge (battery is shot of course, can't unplug or the computer dies) for the past couple weeks, but have gotten a bunch of things done.

• Most of the work has been put into the script, with the tutorial level coming along nicely (other than the boss dialogue) as well as the start of the second level, the slums!
  • Best line I have so far of the player's running commentary in the slums: "The paint wasn’t just peeling off the walls, it was lying in drifts in the corners -- a dusting of snow that put the rainy NYC winter to shame."
  • I have finished the prototype of the journal, now I just need some nice graphics and to incorporate it into my main project.
  • I  have also been working on a borderless windowed mode by creating a C++ dll to use with the game. It's coming along nicely, but I have run into an annoying problem. The game goes into borderless windowed mode just fine. However, you can't interact with the window when you return from borderless windowed mode.

Unfortunately, I gotta pack so I can drive home tomorrow, but I have some ideas on how to fix the problem and may be able to work on it a bit tomorrow night.

Edit: Aaaand, it doesn't work at all on my desktop.

Edit2: Compiler had issues when creating the dll. Back to where I was with it going borderless but bugging out when going back.

Edit3: And it works!

#86 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Safe travels!

#87 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

Well now. After a lot of time spent fiddling with the extension, I released it on the marketplace because it is finally working correctly.

Not much more to report. Been stuck a bit on the script is all.

#88 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:57 AM

So, I've been quiet for a couple of weeks now on the game because I have been hammering away at the script. I now have a complete rough draft of the first level, including the first pass at the boss' dialogue. On top of that, I've been redesigning the tutorial level and getting everything ready for a demo of the game.

So I give you the pre-alpha demo of the first level of the game, get it here! This is a bit different from my previous uploads as it is far closer to an actual game than the prototypes I linked to before.

Some things that should be interesting that you haven't really seen before:

• Basically all the graphics options are working now, including the new borderless windowed mode (only confirmed to work on Windows 7 and I have been told it crashes the game on XP).
  • The rough draft of the script for the first level is included. This has the first cutscene, everything involved in the first level, and a cutscene at the end of the level.
  • There is no artwork for these cutscenes and no voice over (that stuff will all come after I have the game mostly complete).
  • You can pause the cutscene with 'Escape' and skip lines with 'Enter'
  • There are 3 clues in desks throughout the level (ok, in one of the buildings, almost all the other buildings are empty). Pay attention to the lighting for some help (there are a lot of desks and I plan to have the lighting tie into more than just making it look good).
  • The only interesting building is the one that is up when you start the game. The door into it has a light outside.
  • Those white circles that appear periodically and look really ugly and out of place are visual indicators of the noise you are making. Enemies will hear you if they are within that radius (oh, and if you are running...or just holding shift I think at this point...you may not see the circles appear when you fire your weapon...weapons are quite loud and go through walls).
  • The boss is all the way at the top of the map in the alleyway. Don't shoot him, he's the completely green placeholder sprite.
  • You have 20hp (so you can take 10 shots before you die and start at the beginning).
  • Enemies all have 4 hp (2 hits from a revolver and 1 from the rifle you can find on the ground directly in front of you at the start).

Some things that are buggy, stupid, or unfinished:

• Your partner is completely useless. Bullets also go straight through him. He's good at following you and getting stuck behind and in doors. I added him today.
  • Keybindings are still pretty random by default as I added them as I added interaction to the game. Also, don't bind mouse buttons to an action that used to be a keyboard key (it will crash the game).
  • If you hit 'P' you will reset the level. Don't rebind a key to 'P'.
  • There is no journal in this demo.
  • The clues are also not hugely informative on the boss' personality as they were written before I did the boss dialogue...or even had the boss' personality locked down. So enjoy the read, but don't worry too much about it when you come to the boss. This first level is essentially the tutorial after all.
  • There aren't very many enemies so the map will seem a bit barren. Again, only the one building really has much in it.
  • Quicksave is still in the game...I think. I haven't tested it in a while and I can't promise it won't crash your game. It's 'F5' to quicksave...I think. To load you have to hit 'Continue' in the main menu.

That is about it. I would like to hear what you think about the game at this point though. It's really rough right now, but I think you can get a good idea for the gameplay and you will definitely get a good idea of the story. I would like to know now if I need to make some fundamental changes in the gameplay (other than balance and adding more weapons and things like that) before I get so far that I can't change it.

#89 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Finally got around to updating the search code for enemies. They are now a lot smarter and will search more intelligently. The buildings also have more enemies and desks so the level isn't so barren. The demo I linked above is replaced with this newer version.

I also have a new video up here that shows off the first level a little bit.

Also a new sprite for a dead guy that I threw together:

Nh8uS4G.png

Edit: And just did something that I should have done since the beginning with my settings. No more magic constants in the code! Now if I add a new key (like I just did for opening the journal) I only need to change 2 or 3 lines of code in a single place instead of needing to change the code in 6 different places.

#90 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:38 AM

I've got the journal working!

MinoHGV.png

On the left is what it looks like when you first open the journal, and on the right is what happens when you click on one of the tabs. The number of tabs available will increase based on the number of levels you have been to.

Unfortunately, adding the journal has also made me realize that I need a new save system. I had been planning to add this anyway, but was going to place this on a back burner. Unfortunately, the journal is completely broken without it. I need to allow for multiple profiles for save games. Without it, once you discover a clue you will have discovered it forever even through all future playthroughs (or I will have to wipe the clues if you start a level over/start a  new game).

#91 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've gotten melee weapons working fairly nicely. I made a little animation and the melee weapon follows the hand in an arc based on which sprite of the animation is playing. The animation is a bit wonky, but the method works well so I'm keeping it for now.

Melee weapons are going to be an interesting problem. They are useful because it's much quieter to hit a person with a crowbar than it is to shoot them. However they are not silent, so you can't beat someone to death next to their friend without the friend hearing.

However, hitting someone with a melee weapon prevents them from attacking for a short period of time (and being hit prevents you from attacking). This means you can kill an enemy with a gun without them being able to fire a shot (so it will stay fairly quiet). It also means that melee enemies are a little more nerve-wracking as they become a big problem if they get close. I will probably make it so that you can block and prevent the enemies from "stunning" you (not really stunning, you can still move after all) as it would be pretty frustrating otherwise.

If I have the time, I may look into making it so that you can only successfully melee a person without them being able to attack if you are able to time your hits correctly; right now it's too easy to hold down L mouse until the enemy is dead.

#92 MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Advanced Member

• 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Would a timer/alarm event help with the button spam? 

Keep the updates coming, they're a great read and keep inspiring me to try out new stuff!

#93 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Would a timer/alarm event help with the button spam? 

Keep the updates coming, they're a great read and keep inspiring me to try out new stuff!

Timers are definitely the way to prevent button spam. I have a large number of timers already (so you can't attack faster than the attack speed of the weapon). I have quite a few values associated with the weapons also so I'm not sure how many more I want to add. The current ini that the variables are read from looks like this right now:

[ruger_single_six]
weap_type = 0 //revolver
atk_spd = 0.6 //in seconds
clip_size = 6
reload_spd = 3.25 //in seconds
spread = 1 //bullet spread to one side(degrees)
weap_noise = 400 //noise radius
weap_damage = 2
casing_when_fired = 0 //casings appear when reloading

Plus there are variables to check if the gun is on the ground or not, who is holding the weapon, how much ammo is left in the weapon, etc.

Glad to hear the updates are helping you out though!

In other news though, I have been working on redoing the menus so that they will look and work way better.

sW0PJ1j.png

#94 TheWinslow

TheWinslow

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

So, I'm trying out the blog feature on the website as an alternative to this thread. Let me know what you think! I think it might be a better format for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users