So, I've been quiet for a couple of weeks now on the game because I have been hammering away at the script. I now have a complete rough draft of the first level, including the first pass at the boss' dialogue. On top of that, I've been redesigning the tutorial level and getting everything ready for a demo of the game.
So I give you the pre-alpha demo of the first level of the game, get it here! This is a bit different from my previous uploads as it is far closer to an actual game than the prototypes I linked to before.
Some things that should be interesting that you haven't really seen before:
- Basically all the graphics options are working now, including the new borderless windowed mode (only confirmed to work on Windows 7 and I have been told it crashes the game on XP).
- The rough draft of the script for the first level is included. This has the first cutscene, everything involved in the first level, and a cutscene at the end of the level.
- There is no artwork for these cutscenes and no voice over (that stuff will all come after I have the game mostly complete).
- You can pause the cutscene with 'Escape' and skip lines with 'Enter'
- There are 3 clues in desks throughout the level (ok, in one of the buildings, almost all the other buildings are empty). Pay attention to the lighting for some help (there are a lot of desks and I plan to have the lighting tie into more than just making it look good).
- The only interesting building is the one that is up when you start the game. The door into it has a light outside.
- Those white circles that appear periodically and look really ugly and out of place are visual indicators of the noise you are making. Enemies will hear you if they are within that radius (oh, and if you are running...or just holding shift I think at this point...you may not see the circles appear when you fire your weapon...weapons are quite loud and go through walls).
- The boss is all the way at the top of the map in the alleyway. Don't shoot him, he's the completely green placeholder sprite.
- You have 20hp (so you can take 10 shots before you die and start at the beginning).
- Enemies all have 4 hp (2 hits from a revolver and 1 from the rifle you can find on the ground directly in front of you at the start).
Some things that are buggy, stupid, or unfinished:
- Your partner is completely useless. Bullets also go straight through him. He's good at following you and getting stuck behind and in doors. I added him today.
- Keybindings are still pretty random by default as I added them as I added interaction to the game. Also, don't bind mouse buttons to an action that used to be a keyboard key (it will crash the game).
- If you hit 'P' you will reset the level. Don't rebind a key to 'P'.
- There is no journal in this demo.
- The clues are also not hugely informative on the boss' personality as they were written before I did the boss dialogue...or even had the boss' personality locked down. So enjoy the read, but don't worry too much about it when you come to the boss. This first level is essentially the tutorial after all.
- There aren't very many enemies so the map will seem a bit barren. Again, only the one building really has much in it.
- Quicksave is still in the game...I think. I haven't tested it in a while and I can't promise it won't crash your game. It's 'F5' to quicksave...I think. To load you have to hit 'Continue' in the main menu.
That is about it. I would like to hear what you think about the game at this point though. It's really rough right now, but I think you can get a good idea for the gameplay and you will definitely get a good idea of the story. I would like to know now if I need to make some fundamental changes in the gameplay (other than balance and adding more weapons and things like that) before I get so far that I can't change it.