• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Building a PC (finally) - 15"6 gaming RIP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

So, I've got some money saved up and I'm finally biting the bullet and getting a desktop PC. I have my old 22" 1080p monitor which I'll use as long as it works and all the necessary peripherals. I've started working on possible components and I'd love to hear your input on the parts I picked. Maybe there's a better part for a similar price? Maybe I'm bottlenecking my GPU? Maybe the case is too small or the SSD is too expensive? Maybe you don't like the color scheme? 

There are 2 main ideas behind this build.

1. I want to play SC on it. I managed to fit an R9 290 in this build and a SLI-compatible MoBo, so I can one day buy another R9 290 and have enough GPU power to last me a lifetime. For now just one will do fine. 

2. i5-4690k CPU. I won't overclock it right away but maybe few years down the line when I get a second GPU, or if/when I start noticing bad performance due to CPU I will. I've never done it before so I don't know if it's a big performance gain and if it's worth it. If it's not maybe I should just pick a normal, non OC-compatible MoBO and the non-k CPU?

Here are the parts (it's a screenshot, don't bother clicking - I just love the layout):

zHPaqYJ.png

PcPartpicker link (this one you can click): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dZfTpg

Ideally I'd like to lower the overall price of the budget. I can afford $1200 but this build comes to around $1500 - $1600 in Croatia. I might order parts on amazon.de in which case it's 100-150$ cheaper. I guess I can save some money on the case (Zalman Z3 seems much cheaper, almost suspiciously so) or the SSD (128GB version of the Crucial MX100). The case has to be big because apparently, the R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X has a huge cooler.

I could also possibly pick a GTX 770 instead of the R9, it seems like it's benchmarks are similar to the R9 290's in Arena Commander but it seems like it's generally weaker in other games, and people talk about R9 290 as the king of price/performance ratio.

Anyway, hope I didn't bore ya too much. I'm very anxious about this build, I want it to last as long as possible (and when I inevitably have to upgrade it, I want to be able to keep as many old parts as possible). I'll be building it myself (for the first time ever) so I want everything to be perfect :D

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#2 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

good looking build. you picked a really good ssd, you are going to want to stay with the 256 rather then dropping down to the 128. if you do you will lose some performance and it is not as good of a price to space ratio. also i would definitely stay with the 290 rather then going with the 770. the only reason to pick the 770 over the 290 is if you were going to get a nvidia shield. it looks like a solid build.

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#3 Luvlymangos

Luvlymangos

• 8 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

I would look around your local shops and see if any of them do a Price match deal, most big stores will price match sites like Newegg and Amazon and that way its free shipping and they give you a discount sometimes. I got a deal from my local Best Buy, They will price match anything on Newegg and give me 10% ontop of that!

1400548084517585c711.jpg

#4 Sargoreth

Sargoreth

• 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Those all look really great, but unless you are unable to play Arena Commander at the moment, I would wait to build a SC computer. THere is a LOT of time before the game will come out, and you will undoubtedly be able to get either better components or cheaper components (or both) by that time. The only thing I was looking at and wondering if I need to upgrade my machine when the time comes is the double precision math. I am not sure if the GPU or the CPU will have to handle it, I am not an expert. I do know that some CPUs are not able to do the double point precision as fast as others, I will look briefly and see if I can find the original article I was reading about it... (Meanwhile, back at the batcave...)

http://www.tomshardw...04,3542-21.html

This is what I found because it talks about the card I have now, the 760. Needless to say I was a little nervous about how it will hold up when the PU comes out. I am thinking I will have to get a new card by then, but it should be much cheaper also by then. here's hoping

#5 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

I would look around your local shops and see if any of them do a Price match deal, most big stores will price match sites like Newegg and Amazon and that way its free shipping and they give you a discount sometimes. I got a deal from my local Best Buy, They will price match anything on Newegg and give me 10% ontop of that!

Most "shops" around here are just people ordering stuff from amazon and then reselling at a higher price, so I doubt it. Official shops have even higher prices. I am keeping an eye on it though but the biggest deal on R9 290 I saw here was around 5-10 % off, and it was *still* more expensive than ordering online.

I just heard from a friend that he has a friend that often travels to Germany so he could pick up parts for me there, so I'll probably order from amazon.de and get them within a month, maybe less. This shaves off at least a 100-200$ so I don't have to switch to lower-grade parts.

Those all look really great, but unless you are unable to play Arena Commander at the moment, I would wait to build a SC computer. THere is a LOT of time before the game will come out, and you will undoubtedly be able to get either better components or cheaper components (or both) by that time.

Believe me, I know. However, I've been saying that since SC was first announced, and since then I'm losing my nerves over the small screen for programming and any playing any decent MMO or any modern game with reasonable fps. It's not just a build for SC, it's also a build for GW2, Payday2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, GTA4, Witcher 2, Witcher 3, ArcheAge, BF2, ArcheAge maybe ... SC is just the end-goal that I'd like to work towards. If one R9 290 won't be enough, 2 will be in few years when and if I can afford them.

I appreciate the suggestion though, I've thought about it a lot too.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens.

#6 daedalus212

daedalus212

Advanced Member

• 129 posts
  • Locationcanada, ontario

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

the thing about trying to price match at a local store like best buy is the best buy only carrys a fraction of the products that newegg carrys. so if they both have it you are in luck, but most of the time you are s.o.l.

"Never underestimate teamwork, It gives the enemy something else to shoot at" -(Murphy's law of war) ///// "I would give you sloppy, nutty kisses." -SQIRL 2015 /////  "It's just big, Just too big for my hands." -SQiRL 2015 /////
my links (twitter) (steam)

#7 Kaldo

Kaldo

Advanced Member

• 265 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

New and improved (downgraded the case, improved the power supply). The price is an approximation from amazon.de, so probably prone to change.

hCWlArw.png

link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bfBkWZ

#8 RomanticsWes

RomanticsWes

Advanced Member

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

Looks pretty good.

I'm with you on NOT waiting for Star Citizen :) Honestly, we're looking at 2016 for the PU most likely and I doubt that S42 will be as demanding. If I was in your situation I'd probably build a gaming PC now to enjoy and plan to build another one in two years (or upgrade). Wouldn't be too hard to save up another 1k over a two year period if you KNOW that's what you're going to do. Honestly, that PC WILL play Star Citizen when it launches, I'm pretty sure. It may not play it above low or medium but I'm sure it will play it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users